My Porsche 928

ANF

• 2 weeks later...

My wife was quite keen to see my new toy and go for a drive in it, so on Sunday we went after we had finished working on our new house. She was quite impressed by it and then went to visit one of her friends (who loved it also).

We left when it was dark and soon found that the lights and all drains a battery not being charged quite quickly.... Not good! A tow home solved all that and a charged up battery showed nothing wrong - except for non charging alternator!

My wife was great about it and not upset at all (she is fantastic!) and was more worried that my dream car had let me down. A good result all round. My wife likes the car, due to car being towed is now home with me (must do work and stop looking at the 928.....), alternator is only minor problem to me :)

A whacker packer is the "name" given to a compacting plate used in the housing/ construction industry.... hence my confusion.

I see what you mean now, but would only be useful if the alternator was charging... :)

I have never had a car fail on me before and this one will be made to never do it again :D

The 928 electrics are fundamentally simple. A good battery is like,  doh - and Adam knows this . The battery specs way less cranking power needed than your small modern runabout. The alternator needs removing and checking as to why the refurb hasn't worked. Or it might be something else. Either way , it's not a fancy pants alternator or rocket science - this is 80s technology. Which is one reason Adam bought it , and being hands on he will be able to sort this without drama or major expense. He just lacks instant spare time at the moment & we can all relate to that! Unless you are single and overworked, which are two problems that may need attention.

All used cars tend to need new batteries.  It's just the sort of thing an owner ekes more life out of when they have mentally moved on from a car.

my alternator must be a bit dodgy because the charging light stays on for 20-30 seconds after starting.   Always starts though, except if I forget to put the trickle charger on when leaving standing for periods of time.

my alternator must be a bit dodgy because the charging light stays on for 20-30 seconds after starting.   Always starts though, except if I forget to put the trickle charger on when leaving standing for periods of time.

Within normal limits for an SC. There is a fix on Rennlist or Pelican. But as there is fundamentally no alternator problem it shouldn't worry you in the slightest. My light stays on for a few seconds in the SC and the 928. A wee throttle blip and it's gone.

All my cars have a negative battery cutoff. Even though it's usually only the clock sucking current , I turn them off when I go on hols. 

Nissan Figaro if you don't mind!

Daihatsu are not for serious operators.

LMAO - I was trying to think of the most polar opposite 928 vehicle - I forgot about the Figaro ! But having said that, the Coppen only had 66 horses, it seems the Figaro was into the 70's

Im pretty sure the 928 starter motor puts out more power than both

Just took my 928 for our first real getting to know one another drive. First time just for a drive. WOW! A caged beast it is. I am in love with this car! Makes the right noise (sounds fantastic!!), feels amazing.

I find myself sneaking peaks at it all the time now finally home with me!!

Well worth the wait, a truly great car :D

Just need to fix the alternator and drive can be longer.....

That may well be on the cards.... My child seat fits in nicely, just need to see if my sons head will clear the hatch window.... :)

Must be about the best useable retro ride out there. Makes a great daily drive as well! 

But it does not feel that retro, could live daily with it easily.