My Porsche 928

ANF

• 2 weeks later...

Translate this...

Success!!

IMG_7433_zpsvwtt9m0x.jpg

Momo 7004 boss kit, new horn contact thingy from PCM ($40), resistors from Jaycar (40cents), smart install by the right tech (Thanks Mick!) and off you go...like a new car without that god awful big heavy a/bag wheel.  Prototipo replaced the RS wheel in the 964. Happiness all 'round.

Edited by KGB

Momo 7004 boss kit, new horn contact thingy from PCM ($40), resistors from Jaycar (40cents), smart install by the right tech (Thanks Mick!) and off you go...like a new car without that god awful big heavy a/bag wheel.  Prototipo replaced the RS wheel in the 964. Happiness all 'round.

Just a Q. Does airbag delete have any insurance implications?

• 2 weeks later...

I have been driving my 928 a fair bit of late, since I have made it a reliable runner :), more than my ML  (I used to go to our mail box once or twice a week, now I find excuses to go every day :) ) . I have continued to notice, and my trust continues to grow in it (and myself too - amazing how an "off" does that to you!), of how good they take corners at speed (yeah I may have mentioned this before), for a car that feels soft at times this still amazes me. it has not put a foot wrong yet (even with my "old" tyres :P).

Now I am still chasing an issue that is robbing me of a bit of instant throttle response, not helped by overly tall gearing more suited to the autobahn, but yesterday after some more tinkering and new parts it fair pushed me back in my seat accelerating hard when jumping down to first gear at 80 odd when I punched it! NICE :D

Edited by ANF

• 1 month later...

A job I have been meaning to do for a long time and moved up the list due to non-arrival of parts for intake refresh ( :angry: ) - my sunroof repair.

Sunroof has been non-functioning since I bought the car plus one drain tube is blocked meaning I get a wet seat every time it rained!!

A much bigger job than first anticipated!!

First time open! Wound by hand......

IMG_20170103_151634_zpsu2lluqyl.jpg

Sunroof fully removed, it was quite easy to get out once fully open.

IMG_20170103_165135_zpsevtommjj.jpg

IMG_20170103_165151_zpsyqnllx8c.jpg

Completely seized tracks and cables.... one before and after.

IMG_20170103_165011_zpshqdggpxg.jpg

This drain hole took 3 hours to clear......!!!

sr1_zpslkjolwf2.jpg

Back together now a day and half later...... works but is a bit slow... as long as does not leak all good!! (a few finger marks to remove.....)

IMG_20170104_170959_zpszrkohwht.jpg

I used this guide https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzvFQlOLayP8djYtOEF3VVA0OWs/edit?pli=1

All good except I did not remove the 3 screws from rear of sunroof as it was not needed plus could not get to them....

Edit: This post has taken me f@#$%g ages to do thanks to f$$%%&^g photobucket!! :angry:

Next job tackled was the odometer repair, a failed gear was the culprit. Unfortunately the replacement gear I bought from a renowned 928 parts supplier in the US is the wrong one..... now frantically trying to find the right one..... :mellow:

On the plus side it is very easy to do and only takes a short while (well if I had the right gear.....) :) very good write up via rennlist. When I get all fixed will post up some pics.....

Edited by ANF

• 2 weeks later...

I am still without a driveable 928.....

The simple things sometimes seem the hardest to resolve! As above the odometer gear that I purchased last year is indeed the wrong one, so I tracked down a US company that makes replacement odometer gears. They have a local (Sydney) agent whom I contacted and he had one in stock. I quickly paid for it in the hope that it would arrive within the week.... a week passed and he still had not sent it, I contacted him to see why and his response was to offer me a refund instead of going out and actually sending it? I then found one in Germany so ordered it on Friday and it was dispatched the same day and may even be here by Friday :) Hope so!

I moved onto the arm rest repair, a common problem on 928s is that they just break (plastic frame that supports/ form the door storage area). I got 2 metal brackets last year to fix this so decided to tackle it. Everything came off fairly easily and the metal brackets line up and will fit nicely. I also had a look at why my mirrors were not working.... oh boy wiring not good. I am now re-wiring the R/H door..... going ok so far, just more time....

Seems to be a common theme with my 928... most repairs/ fixes are relatively straight forward just chew up much more time due to delays in either getting the right parts or figuring out how to fix it.... I must admit a lot of time is spent on the later....

I also bought some new plug leads and fitting them is not too hard but also not too easy a job you do not really want to do that often.... but I will as one of the ends broke! They are a quality set, just unlucky, now faced with the dilemma of removing and putting my old ones back on.... pulling them off I realised how stuffed my old ones were... wont cost me anything to send back, just the hassle and a couple more weeks delay...

Looking at what I have spent so far, yeah I know I am not supposed to, but I see how someone could drop a bit of $$ into one of these if paying someone else to do.... thankfully not me though :)

Still loving my 928 though and I still peer into my garage regularly to grab a peek of it :) gorgeous machine that it is and at the end of the day I know that I have a great 928 and will be great for many more years to come :D

Hopefully back on the road soon....

IMG_20170105_150936_zpsjrssc4t0.jpg

IMG_20170116_111449_zpshubaxlae.jpg

Edited by ANF
pics added + can't spell! + didn't make sense!!

Translate this...

Success!!

IMG_7433_zpsvwtt9m0x.jpg

What steering wheel is that exactly ?

Me likey !!!

Translate this...

Success!!

IMG_7433_zpsvwtt9m0x.jpg

so...what's happened to that rs steering wheel? ;)

so...what's happened to that rs steering wheel? ;)

Do you want to add to your collection :P

No odo gear as yet so started my 4th recent project on my 928...... :o

IMG_20170124_072838.jpg

So far so good, everything so far has been quite easy to work on, something has to become difficult soon....... :wacko: