Where do 997 values sit?

SteveC

http://www.findads.com.au/cars-for-sale/porsche-gt3-for-sale.html

vic white gt3 asking 189k took only a week to sell

new entry 2010 997.2 gt3 white as well

Consign is a different game to a dealer purchasing a  a car and selling on which interest is paid and time is of essence

duttons has a fair few cars like this but I'm not sure how often they actually turn over

had a builder in inner east appear to trade a 458 for a 991 Tt as the same person always took the 458 out the same time daily but since seeing the 991 Tt the red 458 hasn't been seen again 

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all going to revive the thread, is the consensus that they still will drop some more? This has been tempting me for the last few days:

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2008/OAG-AD-13101432/?Cr=12

Nice speced car and from the pics looks well cared for but I think driver has been getting in and out of the vehicle with footy boots on judging by the scuff plates!

997 prices generally vary depending on the spec of the car eg if S model or a base Carrera ,,,if the car is Manual transmission or Auto,,, options on the car eg Sports Chrono ,,19 inch rims etc ,,,and the mile,s on the dial ,,,,,a car with 40,000 klm is generally worth more than a car with over 100 000 klm and prices tend to reflect this ,,,,,in reference to 997 GT3 prices ,,your not going to get much for under $150K in 997 and it is generally a high mileage car ,,,,Also be mindful of cheap GT3,s this typically can mean they have been tracked to death and or may have suffered damage at some period ,,,being a track rat myself I have seen many a bent GT3 :huh:,,,,,remember if it is to good to be true .........there is most likely a reason :)

Hi all going to revive the thread, is the consensus that they still will drop some more? This has been tempting me for the last few days:

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2008/OAG-AD-13101432/?Cr=12

NICE car.  Red wouldn't normally be my choice, but those wheels and seats! :lol::D  Lovely.

Look at the prices and volume of these cars outside Oz, in 2018 there will be nothing stopping you from buying OS and bringing it in. As a result the supply vs demand of local pricing will be adjusted and the associated premiums will have to be reduced in order to be somewhat competitive. 

I'm in South Africa later in the year and I'm already looking at prices of later model Porsches there, you can pick up a 997 GT3 for the price that Weltmeister 997 sold for. If your not in a rush it could be worth the wait is all I'm saying.  

Only cars up to 12 months old  - That rules out 997's 

( Until next round of legislation is relaxed I'd dare say somewhere down the track ) 

It's been around a little while now...

yep been on sale for e few months. Lack of rear badge could be an innocent delete or something more sinister. Definitely worth a look pitty with all the extras on it it's not an S, I think it would have been snapped up by now.

PPI definately could be a great buy.

yep been on sale for e few months. Lack of rear badge could be an innocent delete or something more sinister. Definitely worth a look pitty with all the extras on it it's not an S, I think it would have been snapped up by now.

PPI definately could be a great buy.

By my calculations it's around $10-15k overpriced. $85k would get a quick purchase assuming nothing's too wrong with it.

Pros: manual, coupe, relatively low kms, some nice options including sports chrono.  all these things $+ 

Cons: not an 's', red, price creeping towards 997.2 prices.

Some googling found me the seller's website. VIN is WP0ZZZ99Z8S700996

http://www.gassportscars.com/all-stock/view/2008_Porsche_911_Carrera_997_MY08_Red_6_Speed_Manual_Coupe/11618128/

Nice speced car and from the pics looks well cared for but I think driver has been getting in and out of the vehicle with footy boots on judging by the scuff plates!

The scuff plates in 997s damage ridiculously easy. You can scuff them with a pair of Chuck Taylors on. I should know as I did it the second time I drove mine.

On values - I'd happily sell mine at $90k if I was going to move it.

2007 C2S Manual, Sport Chrono, Porsche Sports Exhaust, short shift, some other useless options like carbon interior and extended leather (black interior), 35k on the dial. Hows that for an indication on pricing? :P

The scuff plates in 997s damage ridiculously easy. You can scuff them with a pair of Chuck Taylors on. I should know as I did it the second time I drove mine.

2007 C2S Manual, Sport Chrono, Porsche Sports Exhaust, short shift, some other useless options like carbon interior and extended leather (black interior), 35k on the dial. Hows that for an indication on pricing? :P

I think it would sell quickly at that price assuming it is aus delivered. If a UK or other import $85-90k would be about the right price. interior leather is nice and personally i'd pay a premium for it. The flip side is that once 997s go over around 110,000kms they seem to fall in value quickly.  There is a 997 c2s manual with sports exhaust and a few other nice options for sale on carsales, at $85k. I know the owner and have driven the car and it's in great condition with full porsche service history, however with almost 130k kms it's not getting the attention it would otherwise deserve.

Of course with 35k on the dial on yours,  this means you need to drive it more :P

where were you 4 months ago? I'll give you $95k for it now... I paid more than that for my 4S but it ticks all the boxes 

Of course with 35k on the dial on yours,  this means you need to drive it more :P

I've daily driven it for 2 years and have put 17000km on it in that time, I drive it plenty.

where were you 4 months ago? I'll give you $95k for it now... I paid more than that for my 4S but it ticks all the boxes 

Not for sale - but noted. I'm not someone that hangs around trying to squeeze every dollar out of a car sale, at $90k it'd move and that is exactly what you want in a car transaction, no tyre kickers, just people who show up with the cash in hand (figuratively) ready to deal.

I keep an eye on 997.2 values across the market (not so much with the 997.1) and it appears that values range from the $120k's for non-s models with fewer options through to the $170k's for 4S's and other highly specified cars. As previously stated, kilometres and options tend to have the most influence on values. Manual or PDK doesn't seem to matter too much in Australia as we seems to be seeking out manuals a bit these days and I think this is driving the price up to PDK levels.

I went with the Gen2 car because I like the look and also the improved engine design of course. But one of the key drivers for me was the production numbers. Gen2 cars were produced in volumes less than half of the 997.1 cars so this will likely keep values strong. (I've seen one 4S this week for more than a base 991).

Personally, I think 997.2 values still have a little bit to drop (maybe another 20%) before they stabilise and then climb at around the 8-10 year old mark. Expect to see manual C2S's with low km's out-perform the rest of the bunch. (I'm not including GT,RS or other limited run cars here).

For the prospective buyer, my opinion would be to acquire in the next 12-18 months. The motoring press have long been comparing the current 991 driving dynamics to the 997 and typically favouring the 997's feedback, size and links to the past, and this tends to help the market gain momentum. Will be fun to sit back and watch (I'm not selling). :P

2008 997.2 C2S around the time I bought my 997.1 were around $130k with all the fruit, low kms (under 30) and manual. They've already gone up, not down. I agree that the 997.2 is the one to get if you can, much lower delivery numbers, and none of the IMS stigma.

997.1 on the other hand have continued to drop, although drop is relative. I've doubled the kms on mine and I can get out of it for what I paid for it. Win / Win.

I'm starting to feel like the air cooled guys, my dream car (black on orange 997 GT3 RS) values have bolted and unfortunately it won't be seen in my garage. For the record around 3 years ago you could pick up an unmolested one with very low kms for $220k. The cheapest non-crashed 997.1 GT3 I saw was guards red and was listed at $130k (probably went for less). Hindsight is 20/20.

I'd like a 7.1 but can you own one without having engine anxiety?

Yes you can Peter. When would you like an appointment?

Lucy-psychiatric-help-5-cents.gif

We'll start with a discussion on thrust bearing failure on the 928, move on to chain tensioner trouble with the old 911 and then tackle the worries of these modern Stuttagrt masterpieces!

The IMS bearing appears to be a non issue for the 06+ cars but what's the latest on bore scoring?

I'd like a 7.1 but can you own one without having engine anxiety?

Peter I think it's like any car, do your homework, do your checks make the best decision with facts on hand.

my 07 I know had the bearing seal changed when they did the clutch, the rest I just hope I picked a good car.

plenty of other horror stories with all types of cars, also potentially expect less issues or rebuilds required than going with an older aircooled car, purely due to age and number of owners.

i think sometimes forums tend to over emphasise the problems rather than the positives

cheers

I think after watching similar cars like mine stall at the moment  (one at $108k - started at $130k and has been on the market most of this year), the 997 is only worth what people are willing to pay now. And it seems not just P cars but the market is slow, or everyone's looking for a bargain.

I think (and hoping) that as the years go on the 997 will come into it's own niche, just like the 930,964 and 993. Being it will technically be the last of the naturally aspirated and non electric steering it will eventually draw its own uniqueness to the market. But like any era of these P cars it takes time. Personally I'm not doing it to sell it or make money, more so its a nice security to have knowing down the track against most other cars it will retain much more of its value long term. The reason I bought my 07 4S (aside form the wife wanting a 4) an aircoooled was out of my reach and wouldn't suit my current needs, the same reason down the track people will snap up a 991 as the evolution of time may mean less 997's available and again with certain boxes to be ticked (chrono, manual, coupe, colour) etc.

Just my 2c of consideration.

Regarding ims and other Porsche "faults"

went to lunch with a guy last week. Got into his Audi S5 manual 2008 model 80,000km. The car had a chip and tweaked exhaust - the sound was god like and I almost shot my load.  He said the car was great but performance didn't match the sound. He loves the car though. 

Anyhow - he's selling it. Apparently these cars have an Achilles heel - the timing chain fails around 100km and needs replacing. It's a known fault and engine out job - likely $10k at an independent. Audi denies the chain is an issue. He told me some other horror stories involving an Audi dealer and a clutch replacement. Seems all very ims like to me

https://redlinespeedworx.com/audi-v8-timing-chain-service-real-story/

Anyhow - the bottom line is we all tend to like expensive cars and they all have mechanical challenges. To me, Porsche isnt a lot different to the other manufacturers. The difference now is the complexity of the cars being designed and the internet - people have the ability to share (good and bad). 

997 1 or 2 is a fantastic motor and gets my vote for one of the most beautiful cars made in the past 20 years

I have zero anxiety in my 07. I'm yet to see proof of one the later bearings lunching it, and even if I did, I still wouldn't care. All cars are at risk of going boom, especially the older they get. Life is too short to worry about what-ifs especially when the risk is so low.

Only cars up to 12 months old  - That rules out 997's 

( Until next round of legislation is relaxed I'd dare say somewhere down the track ) 

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/coalition-car-import-plan-set-for-the-scrapheap/news-story/c44f87788a060671aae43a35018026c2

Don't count on the 2018 import laws happening. 

Yet to hear a lick about it since this article. 

Archived