Classic Targa Adelaide - Sept 2011

myred911

Greetings to all,

I have just returned from 4 days of "follow and photo" the Classic Targa Adelaide. What an excuse to chase a whole bunch of great cars over stunning tarmac roads.

Highlights

I was chatting to a Ch10 reporter who confessed that she didn't know much about motorsport or this event. She asked if much happened!

My response..."Just wait a little". Within 5 minutes, the second car past our vantage sport, an Elfin Clubman, came into a tight right-hander a tad hot, hit the rumble strip, lost grip and nosed into a bank right in front of us and the CH10 cameraman. It made the news that night!

The damage - a little paint and bruised pride.

Notables

- A very chuckable Rover SD kept the driver busy and the crowd waiting for something to happen. Never did!

- This Steyer Puch drew a great crowd response.

- 240Zs were always good for a photo and of course our 3-wheeling 911s.

- What car is this??

- I know what this is - a Ferrari 308 GT4

- Crowd favourites - this '69 GTS Monaro and '74 Mustang.

- Stewart McAuley was the only PCV entrant. He and local co-driver Matt Brown did well, 10th overall.

- Various Porsches - a 912 (tour group) , several 944S2s and 944 Turbos, 914/6 (3.2 engine).

More shots here

Now back work..

Cheers

rEd

Hey td,

Overall I thought the event was well received, there were good crowds at the vantage spots. The Octagon people seemed to be thin on the ground but I heard that they were mentoring. local volunteers in the "Octagon" way. There is also a good pool of experienced volunteers in Adelaide that really needed minimal training.

Octagon have been doing this stuff for a few years now, so they are setting the standard.

There were about 80 odd entries so each stage was over fairly quickly. Possibly a few competitors stayed away, opting to wait & see.

I will do it again next year,

Cheers

rEd

Archived