Restomod Rx2

Just picked up an Rx2 and in doing so ticked another car of the "must own one day" list

The donor is an original twin dizzy and probably the cleanest and straightest I've ever seen. No rust to speak of and no accident damage.

Plan is to strip it back to a shell, paint it then stuffed full of goodies. Under the bonnet will be a ported series 7 13b turbo, precision turbo, modern cooling system and haltec engine management. Underneath will be modern suspension, VT Clubsport brakes, supra gearbox and 9" diff. Internally and externally it will look stock down to the venetian, apart from the deletion of some badges and trim. Wheels will have to be 16" stockers with dress trim and red walls. 

I expect it to take 18 months (Edit 25/5/2020: LOL) but will keep this thread updated

20160305_100756.jpg         

20160305_095816.jpg              

IMG_7354.jpg                                                       

IMG_7357.jpg

Awesome!  Rx2 pick of the early rotaries due to coil spring rear.

busted many knuckles working on these ... Did a complete resto on a 4 door back in the day.  First attempt at a resto so it wasn't great.   You'd cry if you saw the trailer load of rx2 parts that eventually went to the tip.

i didn't know these could be found in the states.  I see the usual bumper weirdness.

Excellent car..!  Love the early rotaries, though my preference is for an RX4 Coupe. That front bumper looks unique.  

So hard to find any original RX's now..  They've all been modded to death or killed, and the their piston counterparts are also commanding massive bucks.

Keep this thread alive.!

Edited by WOKA

Looks great,  very clean. What sort of money are they worth if you don't mind me asking, I'd love another one,  but as has been said they command more $$ than I really think they are worth locally for a reasonable one.

My first car was one of these.  Awesome little thing,  I loved it !!!

I killed two twin dizzy's before eventually putting a series 4 13B in .

Edited by DaleAlford

Turbo rotary is the go, solves the limp torque of NA rotary.  Here's my gen 1 RX7 after some recent fettling.  Mines a stripped out track car, sub1000kg and over 400hp at the wheels so I'm looking forward to Phillip Island 10 April so see what it's like now it's running properly.  

Not road reg so just a quick tame squirt.  You get the idea....

shes a bit agricultural with noisy locked diff and death wobbles thanks to big negative camber.  All good at speed though.

Edited by DJM

What sort of money are they worth if you don't mind me asking, I'd love another one,  but as has been said they command more $$ than I really think they are worth locally for a reasonable one

there is an neat orange one (LHD) on gumtree for 20k...won't last long at that price

there is an neat orange one (LHD) on gumtree for 20k...won't last long at that price

WOW, a fair bit of work to recommission it,  but it would make a pretty good project with a MIG,  some money and some time.....

US sourcing might be the way I look if the wife lets me....

It brings back old memories of constantly cleaning fouled NGKs after sitting in traffic heading to the old pacific highway. I had an R100 track car which I got "registered" in the rego friendlier ACT.

In a rare win for modified car enthusiasts, the engineering & rego laws were changed about 2 years ago (at least in NSW). 

Gone is the old tare weight x 2.75 = maximum capacity for turbo/supercharged engines, which would have mean the biggest you could go was 12a turbo. Now you can do pretty much whatever you want as long as the rest of the car is upgraded to suit the power (i.e. brakes, driveline, chassis etc) and an engineer has been consulted along the way and signed off. So you could in theory put in a 20b! I briefly considered an 18a just for the fun of it, but 12a parts are getting hard to find and there would have been a lot of custom work involved such as the plenum and crank. There is a mob in NZ that does them but $$$, although it does have advantages over the 20b such as its compact size.

Emissions is as per whatever year donk you're using. 

Congrats, big rotor fan and think the RX2 coupe is probably the best looking. I sold an RX3 coupe to get in to my 911 as good ones get good money especially after it had been featured in a mag. Your RX2 should get along with a turbo, I just had a 13B bridgeport and that went pretty well. They can drink though, I had to plan my drives around petrol stops.

Like the sleepa idea you just need to sort wheels that will clear the brakes but look stock. Mine was JDM style with fender mirrors & Watanabe rims.

Good luck with the build.

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't be happier with how clean the body is, not even any rust under the battery!

There is a small spot of rust in the rear window sill and evidence of a small repair in the rear quarter but apart from that it's tip top :D

Funny how well I remember that engine bay.  Did about 4 or 5 engine removals in these.

iirc the steering box is dead simple to move over because the firewall was common between LHD and rhd?  I remember seeing the mounting position based on your photos.

are you going to source some genuine Yankee rx2 badges?  Those look better than 'Capella re'.  

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't look like much but got a lot done today. All the wiring has been name tagged and is ready for removal. Windscreens are out and frame has been cleaned up. Fuel and surge tanks are out...the former took longer than expexted thanks to one hidden ******* bolt. Interior has been cleaned up: every last bit of rubber, foam, underlay & glue scraped off and vacuumed. Headlights out and apart. Front air dam off.

20160402_163851.jpg

Loom is out!

Relays etc removed from the engine bay and under the dash. Heater, blower and vents (and more wasp nests) also removed from under the dash.

Surge tank, fuel lines and filler neck removed.

20160411_092738.jpg

Edited by JV911

• 1 month later...

Not much to update :(

Waiting (im)patiently to get in the fabricators. Have been sourcing bits and pieces in the meantime - have bought a whole RHD firewall to scavenge bits off, heater box, steering box, bits of chrome trim, blinkers and lenses. Have made the decision to go auto - 3 speed Jatco to be precise, to handle the predicted 400+ at the wheels.