Restomod Rx2

54 minutes ago, Tit said:

How hard is it to get panels for these cars?

Coupe harder than the sedan, but not impossible. They were sold in decent numbers as Rx2, Capella, 618 and 618 here, NZ, South Africa, US and elsewhere.

There is even some NOS stuff floating around, plus a few places are making repro items.

1 hour ago, JV911 said:

Coupe harder than the sedan, but not impossible. They were sold in decent numbers as Rx2, Capella, 618 and 618 here, NZ, South Africa, US and elsewhere.

There is even some NOS stuff floating around, plus a few places are making repro items.

47 minutes ago, asa572 said:

near impossible.

A mates RX3 sedan body is just about finished a full ground up resto.

Just the hours spent repairing the hanging panels due to not being able to find anything was pretty crazy.

20170927_075921 by Andy Allen, on Flickr

So we're all in agreement then? :P

3 hours ago, Tit said:

So we're all in agreement then? :P

Well, depends what part you want and what car you need them for i.e. Rx2 v Rx3, coupe v sedan.

Front guards, boot lids, bonnets and repro rust repair panels are all fairly easy. Something like a complete rear guard would be harder but still around (exhibit A below).

Rx2 tail light assemblies on the other hand = rocking horse poo (still looking) where as there are plenty of good repro rx3 ones around.

2017-12-06_05-26-00

14 hours ago, JV911 said:

Well, depends what part you want and what car you need them for i.e. Rx2 v Rx3, coupe v sedan.

Front guards, boot lids, bonnets and repro rust repair panels are all fairly easy. Something like a complete rear guard would be harder but still around (exhibit A below).

Rx2 tail light assemblies on the other hand = rocking horse poo (still looking) where as there are plenty of good repro rx3 ones around.

2017-12-06_05-26-00

Nice quarter.

When you say repro bonnets and bootlids do you mean the glass ones?

The amount of work to fix the original steel bonnet and bootlid was on the was unbelievable and a credit to the bloke doing the work.

The glue they used to bond the skin to the frame from factory is porous and wherever the shit was used there is rust.

So everything on this car has now been unpicked, repaired and painted inside and out.

this is the bootlid when unpicked, the amount of hidden rust in these are scary.

27103048039_4ce83b59d6_b.jpgIMG_4647 by Andy Allen, on Flickr

27103048339_f092295725_b.jpgIMG_4646 by Andy Allen, on Flickr

To be fair, a lot of rotaries were crashed and crushed over the years, and the fate of many 808 sedans and coupes would have gone the same way before the rotary swaps gathered momentum.  They used to be a cheap way of getting thrills.

Hopefully the availability of quality repro parts will increase over the years as technology makes it possible to make them without an original tooling press.

1 hour ago, Coastr said:

To be fair, a lot of rotaries were crashed and crushed over the years, and the fate of many 808 sedans and coupes would have gone the same way before the rotary swaps gathered momentum.  They used to be a cheap way of getting thrills.

Hopefully the availability of quality repro parts will increase over the years as technology makes it possible to make them without an original tooling press.

Try finding one that hasn't been tubbed, and heavily modded now..

• 5 months later...

Not much to update - I did just score a box built though:

Jatco 3 speed

Billet servo

Billet valve body (manualised)

Vasco input shaft

Transbrake

4500 TCE stallie

B&M billet shifter

received_10155195440861432received_10155195441121432

And scored some steelies for M&T drag radials (and mad skidz)

20180516_121833

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Quick update: the car is still in the paint shop. There was a bit of a delay i.e. I decided to stretch the guards (to accommodate taller tyres) and replace the whole boot floor :)

Had some time to kill today so I cleaned up the side markers. It turns out that whitening toothpaste is the perfect abrasive to polish lenses.

20181022_133110

20181022_150535

20181022_162628

On 23/10/2018 at 05:27, Coastr said:

Are those side markers USA spec only?  Or did all rx2s get them?

Both markets got them - externally they look the same, however the ones fitted to US cars had bulbs in them, whereas the Aussie ones are just reflectors.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Holiday project! 

Repaired a few dings and got most of the initial polishing done on most of the window and door trims. Very happy with the result considering they are 45 years old and it is just the first of three stages of polishing. Still have door handles, tail lights and a few bits and pieces to do too.

20190102_13551820190102_13524020190102_135321

And most of the aluminium trim restored and brushed. Probably needs one more pass with 600 grit. Question: do I need to spray some sort of sealer over it?

20190106_17101820190106_171034

43 minutes ago, JV911 said:

Thanks Brett - I've read about Scotch-Brites being used but haven't come across them anywhere. I'll endeavour to find some and give it a go as the final stage in the process.

Some green Coles dishwashing pads are ok to use mate

Door handles: Didn't want to go too hard and polish through the chrome!

20190112_142311

Intercooler piping: just did it quickly out of curiosity. Turned out ok so will do it properly. Bit awkward on the bench grinder though. 

20190112_141743

Door and gutter trims: 3rd and final stage done. Grill trim came out nice with scotch pads (7447)

20190112_142251

20190112_141938

• 1 month later...