Restomod Rx2

Rx4 was my intro to real speed. Also extended port 13b. I spent hours port matching both ends of the inlet manifold and adaper plate and sat a 465 holley on it. 

Too tight to spring for a 48IDA

Plenty fast enough ATT. How I'm alive is any wonder. What a DH ?

Amazing how the rx2 coupe shape just looks good in primer grey without windows.

i feel bad,  I personally witnessed the destruction of three rx2s (2 sedans, 1 coupe) and 1 rx4 coupe.

None were actually that bad, but it was uneconomic to fix even a mild shunt then.

not any more, RX2 coupe on Ausrotary page on FB in neat enough condition with a 12A not in the car and in need of rebuild..............$45k!

How about a stock RX2 sedan with bare metal respray for $110k......can't figure out how to post a link but if you want to buy it, It's on Ausrotary page on FB ?

No words.  Is it likely to sell at that?  

Just wow.  90k for an rx2.

There has been a few RX3s change hands for north of 100k recently, so it's possible. Granted they were 9-second Pac-build cars like this:

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Mazda-RX-3-1974/SSE-AD-4726531/?Cr=2

(Pac stickers add $$$ :lol: )

How about a stock RX2 sedan with bare metal respray for $110k......can't figure out how to post a link but if you want to buy it, It's on Ausrotary page on FB ?

sedan...tell him he's dreamin

Edited by JV911

@jv911 what seals etc are you running in your engine.  Mines about to be rebuilt, went to the engine builder this week and got the detailed story on rotaries, inspected my engine in bits, discussed steel vs (Ianetti) ceramic apex seals, factory vs solid side seals, porting options etc.  wow very simple and tiny engines but you really want to know what you're doing assembling them for longevity.  My guy says rotary are the most reliable race engines in the world.  Unfortunately if you don't understand the detail, they fail easily leading to a bad reputation.

I contemplated ditching my 13B BP Turbo and going 20B PP NA.  Similar horsepower but it's probably $8-10k to rebuild mine to race spec vs $35k+ to source and build a 20B.  Maybe next time.....

my bridgeports are small and not well shaped so tidying those up will release a few more ponies.  Probably going for steel apex seals - not as durable but they fail gently rather than Ianettis which take lots of abuse but cost $4k a set and shatter when they fail, goodbye engine.

fascinating stuff.  Would love to stuff a 20B PP in a 911 to turn up to cars and coffee ?

Edited by DJM

@jv911 what seals etc are you running in your engine.  Mines about to be rebuilt, went to the engine builder this week and got the detailed story on rotaries, inspected my engine in bits, discussed steel vs (Ianetti) ceramic apex seals, factory vs solid side seals, porting options etc.  wow very simple and tiny engines but you really want to know what you're doing assembling them for longevity.  My guy says rotary are the most reliable race engines in the world.  Unfortunately if you don't understand the detail, they fail easily leading to a bad reputation.

I contemplated ditching my 13B BP Turbo and going 20B PP NA.  Similar horsepower but it's probably $8-10k to rebuild mine to race spec vs $35k+ to source and build a 20B.  Maybe next time.....

my bridgeports are small and not well shaped so tidying those up will release a few more ponies.  Probably going for steel apex seals - not as durable but they fail gently rather than Ianettis which take lots of abuse but cost $4k a set and shatter when they fail, goodbye engine.

fascinating stuff.  Would love to stuff a 20B PP in a 911 to turn up to cars and coffee ?

16k for brand new one here just recently. think it is sold now.
http://www.performanceforums.com/forums/showthread.php?67311485-Race-spec-n-a-20b-pp-engine-(Sydney)

thanks, appears to be sold.  The last fresh one I saw was a race engine on Facebook recently for $35k....so $16k is cheap but it's a bit of a lucky dip, very sensitive to build tolerances etc so you'd want to know what you were buying.

Love the NA timing overlap in any car but the Rotory  is a feeling like nothing else.

Peripheral port was the original design which they changed to the side port to overcome timing overlap ( amongst other issue's ). Side ports were positioned and reduced to overcome the same issue, so probably not a surprise to the first modifier.

Would love to stuff a 20B PP in a 911 to turn up to cars and coffee ?

Sacrilege! (26B and you might be forgiven :) )

My engine guy keeps his cards very close to his chest, so I can't tell you a whole lot about the spec, but I believe they are steel. Don't know what brand (guessing Pac) but even the stock Mazda ones are good enough for most applications.

My engine guy says some seals work fine in big hp turbo drag cars because it's a short sharp sub 10 second blast.  But for circuit racing, full throttle down 2 long straights at Sandown it puts a LOT more load on components particularly apex seals.  And a lot of sustained hear.  I had a low fuel pressure moment due to the stupid way my fuel pickup works and that led to lean out and failed apex seal.  No catastrophic failure or noise but down to 10% compression when tested.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well after being told “next week” by painter A for months on end, I lost patience organised to go elsewhere. Received a call from painter B saying he was ready on Saturday, while I was out shopping with the Mrs. Legged it home and organised a tow. It’ll be blasted sometime in the next fortnight or so and the extent of the bodywork required can be assessed.

Also received the aforementioned steering components and cross-member all freshly coated and bushed. Will post some pics tonight.

20170923_124216

• 2 weeks later...

nice rotisserie, much easier than lying on your back scraping deadener of getting covered in the stuff.

I had a silver MX-5, great color choice.

I look forward seeing pics of the car back.

So will we see you on Current Affair in a cloud of smoke before Christmas?;)

nice rotisserie, much easier than lying on your back scraping deadener of getting covered in the stuff.

I had a silver MX-5, great color choice.

I look forward seeing pics of the car back.

So will we see you on Current Affair in a cloud of smoke before Christmas?;)

I doubt I'll even have it back by Christmas, let alone be doing burnouts.

• 1 month later...

The old girl is back from blasting (plastic bead to be precise) and I’m happy to say there were no nasty surprises.

Sure a few areas are shagged, but we knew that already. The panel beater said, “it’s better than the majority of Rx-2s” he’s seen. Certainly better that some of the rusting hulks he has in there.

Next step epoxy primer, then onto the metal work.

I dare say so. You could in theory try and drill out every hole then MIG them up, but I think it's beyond that. Looks like previous dodgy accident repair - trying to repair a repair doesn't usually end well.

As an aside, any pics of the HQ?