Restomod Rx2

12 hours ago, JV911 said:

Not even close :rolleyes:

Any pics of yours?

There she is. Just got a set of 16" polished b45s and a built 12at motor to drop in among many other things

20181014_103126.jpg

On 06/12/2017 at 16:31, JV911 said:

Well, depends what part you want and what car you need them for i.e. Rx2 v Rx3, coupe v sedan.

Front guards, boot lids, bonnets and repro rust repair panels are all fairly easy. Something like a complete rear guard would be harder but still around (exhibit A below).

Rx2 tail light assemblies on the other hand = rocking horse poo (still looking) where as there are plenty of good repro rx3 ones around.

2017-12-06_05-26-00

Phils are in the process of making the  backing cups etc for Rx2s they will be ready in 8 weeks.

10 hours ago, TG911 said:

Phils are in the process of making the  backing cups etc for Rx2s they will be ready in 8 weeks.

So is Mark at Custom Cuts. Both will be made in China or Indo i expect. 

10 hours ago, TG911 said:

There she is. Just got a set of 16" polished b45s and a built 12at motor to drop in among many other things

Niiiiice :wub:

• 1 month later...
On 13/04/2019 at 21:34, TG911 said:

Any updates?

The car still needs some rust removal in the footwell. Painting it once that's done should be straightforward, the bodywork having been done some time ago. 

• 1 year later...

Is your exhaust/turbo manifold a fabricated one or cast iron?  I have a cast one that has a dirty big crack and resulting boost leak.  Im trying to find a replacement that matches to avoid refabricating everything connected to it.  Someone said mine is ASK who don’t seem to be around any more.  Just thought on the off chance you’d sourced something similar.....🤔

theory goes that fabricated steam pipe type are ok for street and drags where you’re on the power and boost for short bursts but for circuit use, cast handles the sustained heat better (albeit mine is cracked!)

Mine's steam pipe - there's not too many off the shelf options for fitting a GTx42 to a 13b in an rx2 :lol:

You could try Turblown - they do a range of cast and fabbed manifolds for rx7s 

https://turbosource.com/products/turblown-engineering-cast-347ss-iwg-efr-turbo-manifold?_pos=28&_sid=00ed7c3fe&_ss=r

• 2 weeks later...

Several things my friend

- who are you?! Are you not known as must have any colour car as long as it is black  :Chuckle2:

- that is a super tasty colour on that car as it is as good as 'period'

- finally, that is going to shine like a D colour diamond in the sun! Sunglasses mandatory 😎

Looks FREAKEN AWESOME!!!!!!!

On 11/06/2020 at 08:45, JV911 said:

:lol::lol::lol:

For the record, it's based on Lexus Infrared 3T5: metallic silver > clear > ppg ruby red candy > clear again

That'd explain it. I saw this process on a lexus repair on a utube vid. It showed the difference in the finish with and without the silver shadow under the rrc.

Wow.

On 25/05/2020 at 15:33, JV911 said:

Mine's steam pipe - there's not too many off the shelf options for fitting a GTx42 to a 13b in an rx2 :lol:

You could try Turblown - they do a range of cast and fabbed manifolds for rx7s 

https://turbosource.com/products/turblown-engineering-cast-347ss-iwg-efr-turbo-manifold?_pos=28&_sid=00ed7c3fe&_ss=r

Ha, I just came back here for a look and saw this.  Great minds think alike!  

I ordered the high mount one with twin external wastegates.  It’s being fitted now along with a new BW9180 turbo and twin Turbosmart wastegates.  Fair bit of re fabrication to make it all work and then dyno tuning the new setup but research suggested this is a tried and tested package.  Oh, and should make a few more ponies too 🐎 but yes, space is tight and this is engineered for FD.  I’m sure steam pipe will be fine (and unavoidable) for your application.

https://turbosource.com/collections/series-6-rx7-turbo-kits-fd3s/products/turblown-engineering-investment-cast-347ss-t4-twinscroll-fd3s-turbo-manifold

12 hours ago, JV911 said:

That's a serious turbo :CoolDance:

The experts say:

"smaller ones would be too aggressive and non linear.  The 9180 is well suited to a bridgeport, would give the best "area under the curve" and come on boost smoothly.  To top it off the latest technology EFR will spool faster and since you are doing split pulse, that will help with transient response."

We expect to achieve similar horsepower to the current setup (475hp at wheels) but at lower boost for reliability.  Or it gives the option to turn up the wick for big numbers - I believe Jason Dorrington’s time attack car runs a similar setup and makes about 550hp at the wheels.....😲