Restomod Rx2

5 hours ago, Coastr said:

So wait, bridgeport and turbo?  Is that what the cool kids are doing these days?

Bet the mpg is going to be super!

BP Turbo has been the go to for a while.  

fuel economy is a disaster - for a typical track day I take a tank full ~70L plus 4 X 20L Jerry cans and I’m normally empty by days end.......uses about 20L of E85 per 15m session. We measure in L/Min rather than L/100 km.  My mate in an Audi TT has a full tank and a 20L spare Jerry just in case.

On 19/06/2020 at 17:28, Coastr said:

So wait, bridgeport and turbo?  Is that what the cool kids are doing these days?

Bet the mpg is going to be super!

Yep, all the big hp cars are either bridgeport or semi peripheral port 

On 20/06/2020 at 09:00, Coastr said:

This car is for drags, right ?  Or is it circuit?

Primarily straight line stuff, but it will be interesting to see how it goes around corners. I plan on driving it on the street so have opted for adjustable coil-overs and decent rubber (Nitto NTO5) all round, rather than cheese-cutters at the front and drag radials at the back. 

If I get serious on the drag strip then I'll get some steelies with Mickey Thompson slicks.

You would be better off with concentrating on a radial set up over slicks. There are plenty of cars running well below the 9 second mark and 8’s for that matter that can drive to and from the track with a radial on.

1 hour ago, Uncle said:

Can drive to and from the track with a radial on.

Not legally though - drag radials are not speed or load rated and therefore not road legal. I've confirmed this with Mickey Thompson and Hoosier directly.

I've tried to make driving it on the streets as hassle free as possible - that means no full cage (front is removable), no cheese-cutters, no radials, no beadlocks etc. It seems every car built in the last 4 years has them (to the point where it's passé), but I've avoided going down that route. That should result in fewer headaches and help the car stand out from the crowd.

You got me on the colour, but the brap should be below the legal limit, which is a generous 96db for pre-83 cars (although it'll have a valve to bypass the rear muffler on occasion :D). The wooshers (BOV and wastegate) will be plumbed back into the intake and exhaust respectively i.e. no screamer pipes. 

Here's what I'm thinking for the interior: RS-spec. Carpet in the rear, RS door trims, maybe even door pulls if we can get them to work with the mechanism. 

12d0f88f-a4d7-4200-bf0d-10177f078757-740x384

bi8hrm9_763798e36eac92bb13890cc75841a2c92d41c301

Here are the seats I have: BF Torino Rally ST.

I can get extra material so maybe I can work in some basketweave somewhere.

2020-07-02_08-48-27

Wow, an original RX (RS) interior.  A refreshing change from the horrible interiors that seem to be the norm for these cars for some odd reason.   A few examples:

D354F535-A6F6-46AD-B3A4-0ACFE4B30F46.jpeg

B72FDE25-4644-418C-8FB0-FDE2A995E971.jpeg

5FB3AD59-C904-4E94-A273-C0B7CF21354D.jpeg

3 minutes ago, DJM said:

Wow, an original RX (RS) interior.  A refreshing change from the horrible interiors that seem to be the norm for these cars for some odd reason.   A few examples:

And to think, the 1st one probably cost $50k.

2nd one needs more ruched leather :blink:

Always been a trend with old jap cars.  The original interiors weren’t much to start with and they always fell apart inthe sun.  

I would be going for a bare bones stripped look.   Depends how much you want to street drive vs track when it comes to carpet / insulation etc.

1 hour ago, Coastr said:

I would be going for a bare bones stripped look.   Depends how much you want to street drive vs track when it comes to carpet / insulation etc.

Carpet with Dynamat-type stuff underneath should suffice, without additional sound deadening. A number of people have advised against using dynamat inside the doors and roof lining -  it's bloody heavy, and apparently it can warp panels, particularly on jap cars which have thin gauge steel skins. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
16 hours ago, firstone said:

Laugh at myself. I thought for some reason it was already on.

Stunning.

Well, it had been cleared - that was wet sanded then yet more clear applied over that! Now just needs a buff once it's all back together.