• 2 months later...

Great! Now I can't drive past there everyday and ogle it!

Nice one fella, congrats. If you're around mid arvo, would be happy to catch up to slobber all over it......errr.....I mean have a beer (there's a pub 2 minutes up the road)

Great! Now I can't drive past there everyday and ogle it!

Nice one fella, congrats. If you're around mid arvo, would be happy to catch up to slobber all over it......errr.....I mean have a beer (there's a pub 2 minutes up the road)

Sorry Lee the plan is we land at 8:30 get over there do the paperwork and then head out of town. Loose plan for road trip is to head out of town to some where near the start of the Great Ocean Road on Wed night (all ears for input here Would rather quiet pub rather than fancy hotel). Thursday do the GRO and make our way east looking for a place on the other side of Melbourne to stay the night. Friday go back inland after a run up the coast and stay Cooma for the night. Saturday head back to Newcastle. 

So times are a changing again. HDT as sold, Cobra and Lightning are going to be sold. I’m in the mood for a Gallardo that I may or may not add turbos to.

Oh and my brother inlaw now owns the Red Cobra. 

Mate we will need a Whole Page to list your rides -

and here's me still with my 968 CS - and still Loving every minute with it , don't we All  !!! 

Love the ride with you along the way, keep the news coming..

Cheers, Mark

Cool mate. Probably best you don't  leave a Lambo in that pub carpark anyway! <_< Watch out heading up from Richmond's to Greenhill road then Glen Osmond road to the freeway. They've been flooding those roads with radars pretty regularly.

Safe trip anyway

Sorry Lee the plan is we land at 8:30 get over there do the paperwork and then head out of town. Loose plan for road trip is to head out of town to some where near the start of the Great Ocean Road on Wed night (all ears for input here Would rather quiet pub rather than fancy hotel). Thursday do the GRO and make our way east looking for a place on the other side of Melbourne to stay the night. Friday go back inland after a run up the coast and stay Cooma for the night. Saturday head back to Newcastle. 

Congrats on the new wheels, did the Great Ocean Rd trip when I picked the 964. For the most part well worth doing except give the road works a miss.

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/planning-and-projects/regional-road-projects/great-ocean-road

Cool mate. Probably best you don't  leave a Lambo in that pub carpark anyway! <_< Watch out heading up from Richmond's to Greenhill road then Glen Osmond road to the freeway. They've been flooding those roads with radars pretty regularly.

Safe trip anyway

Yes, word of advice, SA is nowhere near as relaxed as NSW as far as speeding goes. 5k's over and they will jump on you, and the bastards hide the cameras well.

Although that is nothing like here in the US. We did a road trip with 6 964's from New York City to Boston and we sat on around 90 (and as high as about 120) the whole way. MPH is the same as KMH isn't it :ph34r:

Yes, word of advice, SA is nowhere near as relaxed as NSW as far as speeding goes. 5k's over and they will jump on you, and the bastards hide the cameras well

I was pinged 3kph over through a traffic light camera 6 months ago here mate! Usually Silver or white Toyota Camry's, yet have seen a tradie Ute with alloy tray and a camera attached to the bullbar. There was also an old Falcon Ute (XD XE shape) couple years ago

You will lose demerit points being an interstater too. Just watch ya speed from Adelaide to Tailem Bend Uncle! ;)

So I sold the Cobra today and bought the silver Lamborghini on Friday. Flying down to SA on Wednesday morning to road trip it back. Looking forward to it.

Oh and this car has a bit of a secret. It has a fresh GT3 spec motor and box built with boost in mind...

Lamborghini%20Galalrdo%20Silver%202-1_zp

Where does this one-man 'arms race' end? :P

sr-71-blackbird-1280.jpg

Where does this one-man 'arms race' end? :P

sr-71-blackbird-1280.jpg

That is bizarre that you post that pic, as I saw my first SR71 Blackbird in the flesh a couple of days ago on display on an aircraft carrier in New York (I loved jets as a kid ;) ).

That is bizarre that you post that pic, as I saw my first SR71 Blackbird in the flesh a couple of days ago on display on an aircraft carrier in New York (I loved jets as a kid ;) ).

I've been on the USS Intrepid many moons ago...

On the topic of SR-71's...these are good reads:

https://www.amazon.com/SR-71-Blackbird-Stories-Tales-Legends/dp/0760311420/ref=pd_sim_14_6?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0760311420&pd_rd_r=A58TFDN6TKZ44E49WT2N&pd_rd_w=SsxBE&pd_rd_wg=hUgmr&psc=1&refRID=A58TFDN6TKZ44E49WT2N

https://www.amazon.com/SR-71-Flight-Manual-Declassified-Commentary/dp/0760351740/ref=pd_sim_14_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0760351740&pd_rd_r=A58TFDN6TKZ44E49WT2N&pd_rd_w=SsxBE&pd_rd_wg=hUgmr&psc=1&refRID=A58TFDN6TKZ44E49WT2N

If you're ever up in DC, go to the Udvar Hazy Centre in Dulles.  Most awesome aviation museum on earth - A space shuttle, SR-71, the Enola Gay etc...

https://airandspace.si.edu/visit/udvar-hazy-center/floor-plans-guides

A19920072000CP09.jpg

nasm-udvar05.jpg

@Uncle

I worked past Tailem Bend today at a place called Sherlock (no s..t!), and on the way there from Adelaide there were 2 silver Camry's with front mounted cameras after the Hahndorf turn off and before the Murray Bridge turn off near Monarto. The highway patrol (blue cars) are also hiding in the centre median with radar guns in both directions Melbourne side of Tailem Bend

Congratulations Martin. Its hard to keep up with what your current car is. Lambo looks very nice.... There are lots of reasonably priced places to stay around Apollo Bay on the GOR. it is School holidays at the moment so not sure if that will effect things.... Enjoy the drive home. :) 

oh, you meant this one? :)

20170521_120110.jpg

I was there a few weeks ago too. Spectacular, isn't it. 

Sorry for the thread hijack Uncle. Looking forward to a full write up on the Lambo. There was a supercharged Gallardo at the most recent Autohaus run. Very tasty indeed!

Road trip home was epic. Motor has a bit of poke, it will give the traction control a solid beating coming out of a hairpin in 3rd at 60kph. My guess is the GT3 spec motor is making some solid power. 

729315AD-7D5B-4CBB-BE72-2F90D43BF629_zps

Road trip home was epic. Motor has a bit of poke, it will give the traction control a solid beating coming out of a hairpin in 3rd at 60kph. My guess is the GT3 spec motor is making some solid power. 

729315AD-7D5B-4CBB-BE72-2F90D43BF629_zps

Welcome back, we've missed you.

• 2 months later...

OK so I’ve had a little time with the car now and done a couple of small jobs, First was replacing all of the coils a know problem with first gen Gallardo’s. As with all things V.W I knew the part number would amount to a common coil on plug from any of the Audi/VW parts bin. Sure enough you have to options standard out put and high out put. Stock is the normal Gallardo/R8 coil and HO is the Golf GTI coil. 

Old mate at the parts counts face when I asked for 10 GTI coils was pretty funny. “we sell them in 4’s. You know your car only needs 4 right?” Yeah ok give me 3 sets then so I have 2 spares. Parts guy very confused..

20480022_1661990257152532_71247328360007

OK so I’ve had a little time with the car now and done a couple of small jobs, First was replacing all of the coils a know problem with first gen Gallardo’s. As with all things V.W I knew the part number would amount to a common coil on plug from any of the Audi/VW parts bin. Sure enough you have to options standard out put and high out put. Stock is the normal Gallardo/R8 coil and HO is the Golf GTI coil. 

Old mate at the parts counts face when I asked for 10 GTI coils was pretty funny. “we sell them in 4’s. You know your car only needs 4 right?” Yeah ok give me 3 sets then so I have 2 spares. Parts guy very confused..

20480022_1661990257152532_71247328360007

you should have told him you had converted your golf to a three plug head 

Now as a secondary measure (of 3) I thought it best to replace the 2 post cat o2 sensors. These would of copped a hard time with the 2nd rate coils not burning all the fuel available. This was all pretty easy as they are a simple Bosch 4 wire job. But Lambo keep part numbers like this very secret. So much so They don’t appear in any Bosch parts listing etc. Lucky for me I’m not the kind of guy to let something so clearly greedy stop me. Hmm $700 Lambo o2 sensor or $200 o2 sensor in a Bosch box over a white Lambo box. Long story short I bought a pair of Bosch non Lambo branded o2 sensors. 

Next was the cats. I was sure these where cactus but wanted to wait until I’d done a baseline run on the dyno. So we put car on the rollers to see what it would do. Whilst the tune was good and it was still making power right up to (and past) red line it just felt flat. So 310awkw (~416hp) in 4th. What I thought was well down on what it should be making. 

Fast forward a couple of weeks and it was time to manufacture an exhaust system and check the cats. Sure I could spend 6k USD for a cat back exhaust or I could just make one. I’ll make one.

I should wrap cars for a living!

22218302_1728129673871923_83025141906133

My partner in crime as always “He who can weld”.

22281830_1728148537203370_21605633710421

22222063_1728169177201306_90275773044928

Those to silver things are heavy like really heavy. 50kgs all day.

22218334_10155741017895522_5701618972963

So the cats. Yep they are the worst I’ve ever seen and robbing massive amounts of power.

Drivers side.

22221536_1728199990531558_74162346619430

Pax side.

22218565_10155741151305522_7237350664743

Some hours later we are at the start to manufacture stuff point. 

22281993_1728175383867352_42494137845128

Old mufflers v new mufflers.

22281571_1729263047091919_70351980125415

22228530_1729263180425239_69532050261139