• 1 month later...

Feeling a little torn. A farm I’ve been hunting on for close to 30 years has come up for sale. Its a beautiful place with very tasty deer that holds some great memories for me. 

On one hand I’m not really ready to sell this thing yet as I’ve been gearing up for a Jagermiester build on the other I dearly want to own the land. 

? BAH!

9 minutes ago, Uncle said:

Feeling a little torn. A farm I’ve been hunting on for close to 30 years has come up for sale. Its a beautiful place with very tasty deer that holds some great memories for me. 

On one hand I’m not really ready to sell this thing yet as I’ve been gearing up for a Jagermiester build on the other I dearly want to own the land. 

? BAH!

Buy the land, the rest is transient & replaceable.

14 hours ago, Uncle said:

? BAH!

Farm comes first, many more cars around

15 hours ago, Uncle said:

? BAH!

Farms are fun until you own them....then they are work !

Is it big enough to build a track on ?  Uncle's Farm.  Has a familiar ring to it !

Build a track and charge people to access it...... then buy as many 934's as you want.

23 hours ago, OZ930 said:

Farms are fun until you own them....then they are work !

Is it big enough to build a track on ?  Uncle's Farm.  Has a familiar ring to it !

Build a track and charge people to access it...... then buy as many 934's as you want.

This ^^

If that land can 'pay its way' one way or the other - then go ahead as an investment for your family.

I dont think hard work scares you and you have a track record of investing in cars & they have added value as you move upwards, you can do this again too.

I spent a couple of days away on my bike thinking about it. The farm is too small to really "pay its way" as its only 100 acres but its plenty big enough for teaching my son to hunt and fish on and backs on to a decent but pretty unknown national park. I have a restricted game hunting licence so that makes it a very handy thing. Simply book the N.P to add to your walk. I won't need to entre into any debt to buy the place as the 934 will cover the asking price. I guess there are some upsides to the drought. 

I decided to do some of the clean up jobs on the car, get it looking cool and then put it on the market. If it sells it sells. I’ve already sorted out a NSW blue slip for it.

As Greg so correctly said in his post cars are transient even more so for me.

21 hours ago, Uncle said:

Well I do have to do something with my Bobcat and Excavator other than just clean up the driveway. Hmm I could need an extra long driveway…. 

Ray Uncle, people will come Ray Uncle. They'll come to Iowa your Farm for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll turn up your driveway not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at your door as innocent as children, longing for the past. Of course, we won't mind if you look around, you'll say. It's only $20 $100 per person. They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it: for it is money they have and peace excitement they lack. 

The Voice: If you build it, he will come.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Uncle said:

Things have progressed over the holidays so I’m going to do up a for sale avert in the next few weeks. Christmas was expensive lol.

How about we catch up for a drive and lunch before you get rid of that beast?😁

• 1 year later...

So its been a while since I’ve posted any of my shenanigans here. Over the last 2 or 3 years I’ve been sharpening my marksmanship skills little by little. Lots of time at the range and doing a couple of marksmanship courses. I had in my head I wanted to be able to shoot out to 1,000mtrs accurately. No real reason behind it I just enjoy a challenge, believe in ethical hunting and and am a goal driven person. As part of this hobby I started my own Targe manufacturing business because I have the means and its helped open doors with places to practice. Come last Christmas I had the opportunity to hit out to 1,000mtrs with a very well regarded instructor as my spotter. 2nd shot he had me on target and kept me there with windage calls for as long as I wanted to keep going. Unfortunately that range is 7 hours from home so I don’t get to do it as often as I’d like.

Anyway motor vehicle stuff. Not too much going on in the car department I keep thinking about buying a MP4-12c but I’m not overly committed so haven’t. I’ll let that thought settle whilst I do the other thing I’ve got on my mind. As some of you know I like to ride big heavy bikes on dirt and have a 2018 BMW GSA1200 Ralley that is a great thing to ride. So what is that other thing you didn’t ask? Riding a dirtbike across Australia from the furthest point west to the furthest point east unsupported via the Simpson desert with a little tar as we can manage. This idea started out as a mate and I “just” doing the Simpson and nicely scope creeped into crossing the whole country.

I’ve committed to buying the same bike as he already has (a KTM690 enduro R) and selling the big 1200 to both pay for the new bike and fund some of the trip. Whenever I have follies like this it’s paid for out of my “pocket money” fund rather than family money so something has to give.  

I’m off to pick up the new bike tomorrow so I’ll post a couple of pics if anyone is interested. I won’t post any of the gun stuff as people can be a bit sensitive about it.   

28 minutes ago, Uncle said:

I’m off to pick up the new bike tomorrow so I’ll post a couple of pics if anyone is interested. I won’t post any of the gun stuff as people can be a bit sensitive about it.   

The cross country bike ride deserves a thread or a link to where you post elsewhere.

not sure why people are sensitive to rifles, fainters gonna faint I guess.  Everyone pretends to hate it until they are at the range.  Big like Motorsport - supposed to be non-pc but everyone loves it when they get to the track

I'll do a thread on P.F that I'll post a link to here. i'm doing it with one of the guys from there whom I'm mates with. He is a funny bugger so it should be good. I'd told him I'm packing so light I'm only taking 2 pairs of undies so he won't need to pack any. Once I've used them for 2 days he can have them. 

Yeah for me they are instruments and rather than hammers they are a kin to very finely tuned surgical tools. I enjoy the mindfulness needed to be good at it. My long range glass is in Milliradians rather than MOA (Minute Of Angle) so effectively I make adjustments in millimetres. Hitting out to 1,000mtrs 1mm of movement at my end is 1mtr of movement at the deep end. So 1mm of say windage left in the glass is a 1mtr change to the point of impact down range. What this means is I have to keep my body movement down to less than 1/2mm when releasing the round to hit a target 1000mtrs away.

That requires training and a lot of concentration as you are mixing in the maths of the projectile dynamics the movement of your body and the environment. Next goal is 1 mile but that will take some more time and training on reading wind.  

On 21/02/2020 at 13:32, Uncle said:

I won’t post any of the gun stuff as people can be a bit sensitive about it.   

This is a disappointing reality... but I enjoy when I get the opportunity to go shooting, alas I only do it stateside as I cannot be assed to go through the rigmarole to acquire here. 

I had the opportunity to shoot a Barrett 50 cal a few years back, I really wish I had some time to get some tuition with it... very challenging! 

I'm happy to post some details etc on my L.R gear if no one is going to get sad over it. I think its a non issue myself but I also understand its pretty off topic. Any Mods have feelings on this?

Anti-material rifles like 50cal are an interesting thing. They are designed for hard target interdiction so have a really heavy projectile moving at a relatively low speed.  A good way to think of it is like pointing a light truck moving at say 80kph toward a brick wall. A lot of wall goes down and there is a big hole and a lot of damage. But its not overly accurate a specific parts of the wall destruction. It just takes the wall out of action. A high speed round like so a 300 win mag (30cal) or 6/5 Creedmore is like a car hitting the wall at 130kph. A car size hole in the wall and a bit of a mess but you have more accuracy at removel of only certain parts of the wall not the whole wall. That’s a very bad broad description and there is a lot more to it but you should get the point.

Also Edgy if you have a mate whom is licenced you can shoot in NSW at an SSAA range simply by filling out a P650 form. This allows you to shoot under his direct supervision. Not all ranges will do it though so best to call fist. Silverdale 100% do it and encourage people to do come and try days. Although in saying that they had a massive land slip a couple of weeks again in the rain and are still fixing the range back up.