986 Boxster S - immobiliser / alarm dramas

Honour

Hi guys!

I recently purchased a 2001 986 Boxster S.

Everything is beautiful, except I have no idea how the alarm / immobiliser system works...

I have a main key with one round button on it, which doesn't seem to do much. So since I've bought it, I've just used the key to manually lock and unlock the vehicle. The problem starts here, in that about half of the time I open it, then alarm goes off (horn beeping), until I start the car. The other half of the time, it is fine.

I often also find that the locking button on the dash is sometimes on / sometimes off, and even turns itself on when driving.....

Also sometimes when I close the door, the window does not put itself down, so it just smacks against the soft top assembly.

What am I doing wrong here!? It's all over the place!

I've also just noticed, that if the door lock light on the dash is flashing when I unlock the car manually, all is fine. However, if there is no flash when I unlock, the alarm beeps.

If I turn the car off, hop out, and lock it with the key, the light will start flashing. However, it will often only flash 21 times, and then stop. Thus, the alarm will then sound when I unlock again.

hmmm...Hate to say it but it might be worth taking it in to a Dealer or an independent who has a computer fault scanner.

That obviously is not you causing it, and it is not right.

Can you open the front trunk or rear trunk with your remote?

If you can't the Battery could be R/S in it (the remote battery I mean)

But definitely something wrong there.

Does the window problem happen on both doors?

Alarm system either has a problem or the remote, which is what you probably knew anyway. 

Also just aside from all that make sure your consul hatch cover is locked down properly that will cause a chirp when you leave the car and lock it with the remote.

Hopefully someone with some electronic nouse will come up and give you some better clues.

Congratulations on buying a great car though and welcome to the forum.

Thank you very much for that prompt reply - very much appreciated. I feared it may be an electrical issue such as that.

Your reply prompted me to remember something I should have mentioned in the original post - I am yet to be able to get the front boot open at all.

When I press the button in the cabin, I can usually here it clicking, but not opening.

Can you open either the front or the rear trunks with the remote?

Woops missed what you said up there....ok so the front trunk clicks but doesn't open ...and the rear trunk, what happens there?

I think the battery was a 2025 or similar from memory, and as Firstone says it is worth trying that first.

And the front only clicks when you pull the lever up located on the right hand side of your driver seat?

That's correct - the switch next to the driver's seat makes a clicking sound at the front end, like it is trying to open, but to no avail.

The rear boot opens no problem front the switch next to the drivers seat, but my remote only has one button so doesn't allow me to open it from there. Is that strange?

The key only has one button?

doesnt sound right, is it an original key?

I think it should have a button for entry and then another button for the both trunks.

im sure my old box which was the same as yours is had a couple of buttons????

just googled up the key and it confirms that.

sounds like you may have some sort of after market key....

the lever beside your seat should work on both trunks even if your key doesn't work.

i had a problem when I first got mine with the rear trunk not opening.

pcm had to remove the rear bar, and in amongst the structure I think there was a cable you could pull to open it up.   May be similar for the front. 

But, I think you may have to bite the bullet and get it looked at ....

Thanks guys - I believe the cable for the frunk is in the left wheel arch - will have to have a dig around.

in regards to the key - definitely looks like an aftermarket one judging by your comments. Although the back of the 'shell' has a Porsche logo rebate, so not sure what the deal was there...

FB10EEFE-8C53-4407-93E8-B0990D26A293.jpg

I used to have a 986. That is not the standard key but a service one (you give it to the mech when you leave the car with them). I don't think it has a transponder in it.

Probs worth getting a proper key programmed and agree you should have the codes checked/cleared.

Ok, no problem.

i have close ties with a car audio / security place, so I may have them have a look over it and perhaps replace with an aftermarket system. In the interest of cost savings.

that could be a good move mate....Certainly let them have a look and if your confident with them well and good.....

To me, that key head is not for a 986. That looks like a button to turn the light on - like my SC

The alarm/window/crazy happenings sounds like my 996 before I had to have the passenger's door lock mechanism replaced. There are several micro switches that tell the alarm the door is/is not locked etc..

Like Niko said initially, take it to an independent or dealer to get the codes read

Good luck

All the keys have transponder in them. Valet included.

Google the subject. There are lots of threads on USA forums. Even how to etc.

The head cover, remote switch, transponder and key blade are all separate parts.

I think you could buy the remote cover and switch from Porsche and fit your transponder and blade.

I've got used to no remote.

If you don't have any joy take it to someone with a Porsche Computer/Analyser. When I first got mine there was funny things going on with windows not dropping etc. The workshop said they had to clear a heap of error codes probably due to a flat battery for some time - all worked fine after that....also sort that key.

So, I have just heard back from the security place - they seem to think the alarm module is all over the place, and would likely need replacing. Time to go to Adelaide Porsche?

Also - it looks like the key head I posted a photo of above is an eBay generic head, and the button is simply for a light. Not sure how I didn't notice that before. Haha.

Yep...Bite the bullet, book it in and get ready for the hit.

And looks like a new key will be needed...again...brace yourself for severe impact.

oh...and welcome to Porsche ownership...

On my 986 I had a few problems quite similar to what you describe and went round and round trying to work out which sensor it was that was bust..  I had a non locking fuel cap and a dodgy centre console which I toiled with for a while.  Got told a few things could be the cause such as a broken alarm module etc etc.

It was just the key.

So my advice would be start by replacing the key with an OEM key and have it programmed to what you have and see what happens.  At a guess that might cost you $600 give or take but I wouldn't dive straight into a new alarm module straight off the bat.

Thank you both for that.

I actually haven't been able to open the centre console as yet, as it is locked and the locking barrel has come out. They key doesn't unlock the barrel anyway.

This could potentially be sending some errors. I actually had a diagnostics reading yesterday, and came up with the following errors -

P1128 Oxygen sensing adaptation, idle range, bank 1

P1130 Oxygen sensing adaptation, idle range, bank 2

P0130 02 Sensor ahead of cat. Conv., bank 1

03 Airbag warning supply

59 Central locking limit position Secure not reached

60 Central locking limit position Lock not reached

1 Door(s) secured and terminal 15 on

44 Driver-side release stuck

47 Control locking synchronization

43 Passenger-side release stuck

13 Left door secured, but not locked

46 Control locking synchronization

17 Signal from airbag

61 Central locking limit position Unlock not reached

After clearing codes, re-scan came back with –

1 Door(s) secured and terminal 15 on

44 Driver-side release stuck

47 Control locking synchronization

31 Fresh air fan motor

You definitely know that key is dodgy.    You are going to have to get one anyway.

i agree with qstoria, do the key, see how that affects things.

that consul lock not working could be a problem, if mine wasn't quite shut properly the car would always chirp when locking it from the remote.

but yep, do the key then re-asses...

• 2 weeks later...

Any luck with this one Honour?

As a previous 986 owner and hopefully soon to be again I would be keen to hear how it went (if there is an update of course).  Hopefully its all sorted for you and you can be out enjoying the car 

Archived