AUDI (WAGON) APPRECIATION GROUP - RS2 S4 , RS4

The only cars I have owned outside of my 964 have been Audis (plus my first car which lasted about 6 months). Only just begun a foray into Avants though. B5 1.8T, B6 2.0T, 8P 2.0T, 8P S3, B8 2.0Tq, 8V 1.8T

Current daily is a B9 2.0T Avant.

IMG_2209

I'd like to get a B7 RS4 Avant or B5 RS4 once my wife needs to drive a car more often and takes the B9. 

Edited by poli84

Just came across this info on B5S4 numbers imported to Oz, from the OzAudi site:

http://www.ozaudi.com/forums/showthread.php/17258-How-many-B5-S4s-imported-into-Australia

Year Sedan Avant Total
1999    12        0      12
2000     77       22    99
2001     40       53    93
2002     20       14    34
           149       89  238

Just came across this info on B5S4 numbers imported to Oz, from the OzAudi site:

http://www.ozaudi.com/forums/showthread.php/17258-How-many-B5-S4s-imported-into-Australia

Year Sedan Avant Total
1999    12        0      12
2000     77       22    99
2001     40       53    93
2002     20       14    34
           149       89  238

I heard B5 RS4's are especially rare. From memory only 40 were sold, 20 black, 20 silver. All avants. The light grey interiors in everyone I have seen were a big mistake and haven't lasted 

I had one back in the UK (99 S4 Avant), needed a dog carrier so I traded my Impreza turbot for it. Nice car but a bit of a lump of lard  after the Scooby, so 12 months later the wife got a new X3 for dog / boat towing duties and the S4 went in for an E46 M3. Very nearly picked up a relatively new RS4 Avant 3 years later to replace the M3, the engine note alone was good enough for me ?

I'd have one here as a DD, but for $50k at 10 years old, it doesn't compare well to a new V8 Boganwagon ?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've had my b7 rs4 for a few weeks now.

Mine's a wagon but sedan for sedan, no way is this better or a competitor to a V8 M3, maybe the brakes.

That being said, its a damn good looking wagon.

A couple of months back I was looking at offloading a very heavily modified b5 s4 (bit too similar to the 996 tt from a butt dyno point of view) as time for a change and something the  Mrs is more happy to drive (eg single mass flywheel clutch not the lightest) when she takes it around the block.  Was looking at a stock b7 rs4 wagon, and not much on offer (except grey one I was keeping one eye on that was a bit over 50k that I was contemplating. It had smoked rear tail lights, - did you pick that up???)  so got distracted / sidetracked and started doing a bit of research on a E90 M3 on one weekend . Come Monday, made a virtual tyre kicking call on something that ticked a lot of boxes and within 45 seconds on the phone was throwing out sight unseen offers with no PPI . (Never seen the interior of a E9X M3, let alone driving one) .   

Just got the chance to drive it  (I went for a DCT 2010 m3 in space grey - manual sedans are a wee bit hard to find let alone being within my sub 50k budget) a couple of weeks ago after it being garaged for a couple of months after buying it.

Totally different drive to boosted car, really easy drive, just point and shoot  and thought  initially thought perhaps should of got the manual, until I dialed the shift speed up and did a few downshift blips with the paddle shifter. (very addictive).   Pretty good fun and great exhaust note even in stock guise.  Looking forward to doing a few minor tweeks, eg xpipe / cat mods, gts dct tune and ecu tune, get ride of the 4x4 ride height, next time I get into drive the car.    I'm  biased, but bang for buck, not too shabby for a sub 50k outlay (shipped, on roads and garaged) and no regrets not getting a B7 RS4 wagon

That all said, got into my 996tt after not being in that for 4 months and thought, no regrets offloading my audi b5 s4 for the M3, except for thinking how good is the 996tt going to be to drive if I can get it to boosting under 2000 rpm like the audi. (longer term project, as been a bit sidetracked getting tweaks sorted for the M3 ). 

Did you run the ruler over the 750hp b5 rs4 for 54k at all before buying your B7 RS4 (agree the b7 RS4 is a damn good looking wagon when you drop in on a set of KW V3 coilovers). 

A couple of months back I was looking at offloading a very heavily modified b5 s4 (bit too similar to the 996 tt from a butt dyno point of view) as time for a change and something the  Mrs is more happy to drive (eg single mass flywheel clutch not the lightest) when she takes it around the block.  Was looking at a stock b7 rs4 wagon, and not much on offer (except grey one I was keeping one eye on that was a bit over 50k that I was contemplating. It had smoked rear tail lights, - did you pick that up???)  so got distracted / sidetracked and started doing a bit of research on a E90 M3 on one weekend . Come Monday, made a virtual tyre kicking call on something that ticked a lot of boxes and within 45 seconds on the phone was throwing out sight unseen offers with no PPI . (Never seen the interior of a E9X M3, let alone driving one) .   

Just got the chance to drive it  (I went for a DCT 2010 m3 in space grey - manual sedans are a wee bit hard to find let alone being within my sub 50k budget) a couple of weeks ago after it being garaged for a couple of months after buying it.

Totally different drive to boosted car, really easy drive, just point and shoot  and thought  initially thought perhaps should of got the manual, until I dialed the shift speed up and did a few downshift blips with the paddle shifter. (very addictive).   Pretty good fun and great exhaust note even in stock guise.  Looking forward to doing a few minor tweeks, eg xpipe / cat mods, gts dct tune and ecu tune, get ride of the 4x4 ride height, next time I get into drive the car.    I'm  biased, but bang for buck, not too shabby for a sub 50k outlay (shipped, on roads and garaged) and no regrets not getting a B7 RS4 wagon

That all said, got into my 996tt after not being in that for 4 months and thought, no regrets offloading my audi b5 s4 for the M3, except for thinking how good is the 996tt going to be to drive if I can get it to boosting under 2000 rpm like the audi. (longer term project, as been a bit sidetracked getting tweaks sorted for the M3 ). 

Did you run the ruler over the 750hp b5 rs4 for 54k at all before buying your B7 RS4 (agree the b7 RS4 is a damn good looking wagon when you drop in on a set of KW V3 coilovers). 

Ahhhhh, Smit, never disappointed with your posts, great work!

• 2 weeks later...

Tempting to consider trading the RS3 for this new RS4 coming in next year. Daily driver, run about car is the plan.  Anyone here done the homework and think its a good thing or not?  Seems a bit softer then the previous version from the few release videos. 

• 1 month later...

Drove a current model S6 wagon renter in Germany.  I didn't expect V8TT with 330kW to feel dull.  It was fast enough but you can't mask the weight - quiet, refined, no hint of turbo whistle or lag.  Needs a serious exhaust and more boost to liven it up.  Saving grace was we managed to hit 268 (speed limited) on the autobahn.  But the fuel gauge wound anti clockwise as quickly as the speedo wound clockwise.

we also rented a BMW 320d wagon and that cracked 240 and was still pulling and cruised comfortably at 200.  Cars are all so capable now it makes you question the purpose of heavy powerful cars like the S6.  You can't really drive safely beyond 180-200 in normal traffic on the autobahn and a stock 320d did a fine job of that.  And 240 vs 270 flat out is academic really.

i wouldn't bother with an S6 in Aus, you'd feel the heavy lethargy around town and never get to experience the 200+ it's built for.  Buy a 2.0 A6 instead!

Edited by DJM

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone had exp playing with B5's give me a hoy. Or if anyone in a 400km radius of me got a modded b5 S4 I'd like to see it. I'll be down MLB for two weeks over Chrissie as well.

Got milltek - check . though need to decide on DP's

Been offered near new (7000kms) coilovers . Tossing up whether OHLINS or KW V3. Had thought PSS9's but the offer on the ohlins and V3's hard to refuse.

Anyone running ohlins? Springs are 700-800

RS2 wheels arrive Friday.

bush and control arm kit arrive January.

Looking for a decent mild tune. Stg1, as staying with K03's for the moment.

The wagon going to remain a semi daily with some track day use. 

A different playing field to some of you guys, but is this the correct price guide for one of these below, and do they have any common problems to consider?

Our Territory is starting to fall apart, and I was thinking of getting something like this for the missus. She prefers a bigger car like the Territory, but she likes this one (as do I). I was thinking of spending up to $10k, yet this looks too good not to consider

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kellyville/cars-vans-utes/audi-a4-b7-2005-wagon-automatic-leather-sunroof/1152381027

50 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Hi Lee. They both seem overpriced to me. 

Important to look at the engine and drive type. Ideally you want the 2.0T Quattro if you are not getting the RS4. The first one you posted is the naturally aspirated 2.0 and fwd. A friend of mine had one of those and it was a very average drive.  He sold it for about $5,000 about a year ago with similar kms but in worse condition.

The second one you posted is a diesel and seemingly fwd too. I don’t have any experience with them. 

My wife has the 1.8T fwd version s-line. It looks nice and the engine is quite responsive but you get some delay off the start from the cvt (auto transmission). I have found it to be quite an expensive car to run. We bought it in 2011 at 30,000kms and it now has about 60,000kms and I reckon I have spent on average $1,500 per year on maintenance (including two tooth belts and a water pump (both of which are meant to be done I think every 60,000kms or 3/4 years), brakes once or twice, leaking shock absorber, oil leak and tyres at least twice - sorry can’t remmeber everything that was done just the feeling every time when the mechanic called to tell me what need doing).  I also think that my wife’s car probably only a $10k car. 

Frankly I’d stay away from anything but the RS4 or possibly the 2.0T Quattro. An old Cayenne might even be a better bet. 

Lee, I would avoid the FWD ones too, I have heard not good things about the CVT.

A turbo 4 AWD was top of our list until my wife saw and fell in love with a Volvo S60 turbo AWD. All the AWD Audi's have conventional autos and supposedly much better than the CVT ones.

If you still want to look at a bigger car I can strongly recommend a MB ML350 :)

2 hours ago, TINGY944 said:

What is the thoughts on Q5 with the 3.0ltr V6 diesel up front, i'm thinking about a 2011 model as a daily.

they are a great car, i've had mine for 3.5 years and 55k k's without issue and a reasonable amout of towing which they do effortlessly. Factory servicing is eye watering, as are genuine parts- $1000 for pads at 40,000 k's, and i replaced tyres at 40,000 's at $500/ corner, insurance is about $1200 for comprehensive.

Cheers guys, I appreciate your comments. However, her indoors must have some sort of big SUV thing like the Territory, as she doesn't feel safe in a smaller car. I test drove a V8 07 Cayenne today, and she loved it (so did I) so we'll see where that ends up later tonight when we talk about it, and its a bit over what I'd like to spend. I'd prefer her to get a smaller car and/or something under $10k. Not being a tight arse, but it's only a daily to and from her work 8 minutes away. Could be a long drawn out process this one! ?