Real and replica (914:6) who has, or knows how many

michel

curious how many are in Australia either factory or home brewed

im aware of 5, not including the car sales one. There is also at least one 914 tooling around with a 928 donk in it.

2 in SA that I know of. One is ridgy didge apparently, and the other is a custom job. The latter is a tarmac rally car that I believe is, or was for sale recently. Ask Craig at Buik Motorworks, as it was in there for a while.

I think Airhead once told me that three genuine right hand drivers came out here.  Airhead is lucky to have one of those three in his fleet..

Hopefully he will chime in on this one and let us know....

2 cars bought to Aus by Norman Hamliton in 1970. I guess a few more imported from the states later on. 5 listed on the 914 Register.

As the girl on Seinfeld said. They're real and they're fabulous.

IMG_16461_zpsaritq7of.jpg

Taken today at VW Jamboree at Caribbean Gardens.

Not here in Aus, but a mate has one back in the UK. Started life as an Ebay find (by me) in California and turned out to be a completely rust free sitting under a dodgy as paint job. He gutted it, fitted the metal arches and a mega 3.0 litre 6 pot engine, from memory about 10 years ago it cost well north of £10,000. Goes like a rocket, proper little roller skate.

He also has a very early 911, red one he rebuilt from a pile of boxes about 25 years ago. It's on the front cover of some Porsche book.

5323677349_d65cc49efe_b_d.jpg

2 cars bought to Aus by Norman Hamliton in 1970. I guess a few more imported from the states later on. 5 listed on the 914 Register.

As the girl on Seinfeld said. They're real and they're fabulous.

IMG_16461_zpsaritq7of.jpg

Taken today at VW Jamboree at Caribbean Gardens.

Yep that is one of the two factory 914/6s brought in by Norman Hamilton and converted to RHD initially to determine whether there was a market for them in Australia. A truly beautiful car!!

Word has it that the  price of the conversion plus cost of vehicle made it prohibtive to becoming a standard offering...

That's what I was hearing about that (928) car also and that it hasn't been see for awhile.

The hamilton in Autohaus Ham, I understood converted a few to six. Two were in Canberra,  of one was a Sporto (red) as was made for a guy who had lost a leg, both are not currently known. Hamilton also had his own personal (white) car with a '944' front end, whereabouts unknown l, though is somewhere in a backyard in Sydney.

There is another still in hiding with an alleged interesting back story.

Lee the Buik car was bought a  cpl months back, I've heard it was a steal and a tidy car with some 'real' GT bits? 

There is also a 'rusty' and alleged orig 6 kicking about in Vic, I was told about last year. Though when i expressed  more than interest in the story, the story teller closed the book and turned off the light 

I have a white 72 914 with a 3.2 boxster S drivetrain. Was in Canberra then Kiama but have just moved to Newcastle. Not strictly a 914/6 or replica but at least it is Porsche powered.

Cheers Pete

This one is from Melbourne. Conversion

_MG_3999m.jpg

http://www.carsofaustralia.com.au/_popup_youtube.php?id=CFniMZcjQLQ

Original

Ted Bank's car.  Runs a 2.9 with a long stroke John Gregory crank.  Was rebuilt after he end over ended it somewhere... 

Howard Robilliard had a real 6 (Tangerine?) with a 2.7  that he campaigned in Tarmac Rallies for a while - nice car.  Was for sale for ages nut I don't know what happened to it.  Ryan (Obrut) would probably know...

Pete good to hear from you. How many engines have you gone through?  I thought you'd gone 3.6?

pics would be a treat 

Sorry mate, that was a black 4 cylinder left hooker......I think! Will have to ask Craig, unless he jumps in here

This was the lefty

20151202_134818.jpg

Lee I think a gent by the name of Kim owns both black cars? The 4/4 I understand is very fresh from a comprehensive build??

Mark Johnson had a converted 4 (Green, 2.7ish) with very wide guards that he campaigned in sprints for a while.  Was sold to a guy in Tassie who was building it as a Tarmac car for he and his daughter.  Can't remember their names but they ran a nice little BMW some time back.

Anthony Donahue (SP?) has a nice Blue/White GT look car which ran a 4 of some sort in sprints.  PR Tech were doing quite a bit of work on it last time I saw it - may even have a 6 in it by now.

Also, PR Tech have just completed (at Xmas) a no expenses spared build of a dark grey one (Gunmetal?) which is AMAZING - a real state of the art build.  I don't know all the details but it'll turn up somewhere I'm sure.

Also, George Pethard has a very nice silver one.  I have a photo but PFA says I can only upload 20Kb so no can do.  IIRC he may even have two...

The ex Wayne Colins silver one is in Vic somewhere - quite a nice 3.2. road car.

Ex Wayne Collins car is reported now in Sydney somewhere?

sic914 is now a 6

there is also a yellow one blasting round Sydney somewhere.

mark to put photos up you first have to upload to photobucket  or other  of your choice. Then post links. Clunky painful tiresome but it works 

Ex Wayne Collins car is reported now in Sydney somewhere?

sic914 is now a 6

there is also a yellow one blasting round Sydney somewhere.

mark to put photos up you first have to upload to photobucket  or other  of your choice. Then post links. Clunky painful tiresome but it works 

Right, I'm a little out of date...  I'll see if Richard at PR Tech will give out details of who has that grey one.

I think I saw the yellow one at the last Rennsport but didn't see the owner.

I'll check out the Bucket thing or maybe put them up on my server...

A few years ago I spoke to David Withers about his experience with his 914 cup car.  He always maintained it was easy to ruin them by putting in too big of an engine which is my experience also.  Keep em light and well balanced seems to be the go.

Just remembered - the red one was owned originally by Ken Price who used to be a Targa Tas scrutineer who pinged Ryan and me (at Rally Tas) for running cast Aluminium case engines when the regs said you must run them with magnesium cases.  Caused me to build a ground up 2L twin plug engine.  Bastard - he's the only one in the world who would have picked that up!  I still have the Aly case engine which will become a 2.8 RSR.

Archived