Targa Tasmania 2016 PORSCHE

tazzieman

If this event was on the mainland  you guys would be over it like ants on a honey sandwich, especially as it's a bumper field for the 25th anniversary.

Doesn't even rate a mention on a Porsche forum!

Matt Close running 1st in GT2 category ; 

“The Porsche suits Targa brilliantly,” Close said.

“It’s a very easy car to drive, a very comfortable car to drive and it’s very fast.”

Jason White's Lambo was finally outlawed so he's in a Dodge.

Ah well , here's the link.

https://targa.com.au/tc/

Porsche are leading by the way and Aussie's two fastest grandads are doing OK in a GT4.

Ironically I'll miss it as I'm on the mainland for the next few days!

The Lambo wasn't "outlawed" - it could still run. Targa have just changed their focus on the main class to Showroom cars. So the old modern category that the Lambo ran in will still run for the next 5 years but it's not the primary class - even if someone running it ends up being the fastest car over the week. Basically they needed to slow the cars down so this was the easiest way to go about it - bring it back to Showroom.

The primary class now is called GT2 - which is specifically for 2WD cars in 99% showroom condition. Matt Closes GT3 for example as aftermarket brake pads and an Akrapovic exhaust, but it's otherwise full showroom delivered (including running the OEM delivered bolt in cage).

The Whites are running the Viper ACR Extreme which is questionable in it's legality (not sure 500 have been built) - but I'm sure being local boys get a free pass with the "or be a vehicle approved by the organizers" rule.

Anyways - it's shaping up to a ripping battle. In the end it may come down to tyres. They are also only allowed 6 pre approved tyres this year (used to be 8) - so they had to hedge on 1 spare front and one spare rear rather than gamble on 2 rears for the final days. The only tyre available to the Viper is it's specially designed Kuhmo and I wonder if it will be too soft to get through the whole event. The Cup 2 on Matty's car will be fine however. 

The Viper ran the Hellyer Gorge stage (one tough bit of tarmac!) this year in exactly the same time as he did last year in the Lambo Super Alphabet.

YT can drive - but that snake must be one hell of a weapon out of the box.

Saturdays bumpy stages should suit GT3 - but I think todays 2 big open flowing stages (Strahan and Mt Arrowsmith) are going to kill off any hope, as the Viper will be in its element and no rain is on the radar. 

Word from the ground is the Viper has stopped on Mt Arrowsmith. Shame as the battle has been immense.

Matt has a comfortable lead now in the GT3. Gentleman Jim moves up to 3rd in the GT4 as well.

The Viper ran the Hellyer Gorge stage (one tough bit of tarmac!) this year in exactly the same time as he did last year in the Lambo Super Alphabet.

YT can drive - but that snake must be one hell of a weapon out of the box.

You should see the front splitter BIG!! . Would not be out of place on any very high end track car and the rear wing also very BIG to match. Must generate actual downforce. 

So much for changing the rules to slow cars down. Seems as long as the manufacturer does it and they sell 500 or you get organisers approval anything goes otherwise lots of rules read like ""item" can be up to X unless the manufactures standard "item" is bigger in which case the manufactures "item" is the maximum size for the car. 

So just spend big $$ on exotic cars.

Archived