911 Carrera Narrow Body Turbo

GUT

Took the beast out for a run up to Baw Baw early this morning. It was a wet and foggy morning when I left home at 6am. The upside was the roads were completely clear. There were a few obstacles along the way - lyrebirds, tree branches, rocks and bark on the road as well as some loose gravel in sections that had been resurfaced. I drove to the conditions as always but the tail has a tendency to get ahead of itself sometimes, especially when given a bit of encouragement...and in the wet.

I'm really pleased with the Dunlop Direzzas. They held on really well.

300km round trip. Who's up for the next one?

IMG_6823_zpst7z19bd3.jpg

2BC2FAFF-AAFD-41CC-B2F1-B8725BD54839_zps

• 1 month later...

Back home after a month in Europe.

Fired the beast up and the previously inoperable radio is working. Hmmm. That's good I guess.

Checked what CD was left in there. John Denver... Not quite what I was expecting. The 930 had Metallica.

Great to get back on the road with this toy. The other two's batteries are completely dead.

• 1 month later...

I'm a sucker for shiny Porsche stuff so have found myself in possession of a pair of GT3 CS seats. So I thought I'd see if they fit in the hot rod. Not to everyone's liking in an IB but I like them.

I wanted to use the OEM sliders. All good except for stupid little tabs at the front of the rails. I could have hammered them flat but I don't like ruining stuff so I've ended up mounting them a bit forward. I have some spacers to allow for mounting a bit higher to clear the tab which would let me mount the whole thing a bit further rearward but I'd have to drill another hole in the mount on the floor - no drill to hand so that will have to wait.

So for now, they're a bit too far forward for my liking. Height is ok but with a helmet it would be tight. I think different sliders might solve the problems all in one. I have some but I'd need different side mounts. I might go down that route at a later date. Anyway, pics:

The annoying tab:

IMG_8102_zps1zi4mw0o.jpg

Rails are a bit longer and mounted a bit forward to clear the tab:

IMG_8106_zpscvmqeano.jpg

One in (oooh what's that in the background):DSC_0969_zpszl48erye.jpg

All done:IMG_8115_zpsgrkrz4n6.jpg

IMG_8114_zpstus41pv5.jpg

Edited by GUT

The list includes:

• Tial wastage with [TBD]bar spring
  • Sports shocks
  • Rollcage
  • Steering wheel - thinking either 930s wheel (which I have already) or Momo Monte Carlo
  • Have a lead on a bigger turbo and headers that might make things more fun

Edited by GUT

Looking good man! 

If your going a full cage (front section) then the height/clearance can become tight. This is due to both the seat mounting heights and sunroof, can be fine normally but tight with a helmet on. 

Half cage though, no worries! 

Looking good man! 

If your going a full cage (front section) then the height/clearance can become tight. This is due to both the seat mounting heights and sunroof, can be fine normally but tight with a helmet on. 

Half cage though, no worries! 

It'll be half cage.

Thinking about maybe just ditching the sliders to get a little lower. Or just pull the cushions out when required.

• 4 weeks later...

Latest instalment...

I've been a bit underwhelmed by the power and perplexed by the boost dropping off under full throttle so started investigating.

Dyno said 210hp atw, peak boost 0.65bar and lambda dropping under 0.7. That backed up what my 'butt dyno' was telling me. And it was worlds apart from an old dyno sheet that showed 325hp atw.

Anyway, turns out something's NQR about the cat. The turbo just wasn't spooling up properly. Whack in a replacement set up and, well, it's transformed the car into what I though it should have felt like. Now pulling consistent 0.8bar boost and very very lively. It's a wet day in Melbourne too :ph34r:

I'll put it back on the dyno in the next few weeks to see where it's at.

Edited by GUT

I'm a sucker for shiny Porsche stuff so have found myself in possession of a pair of GT3 CS seats. So I thought I'd see if they fit in the hot rod. Not to everyone's liking in an IB but I like them.

I wanted to use the OEM sliders. All good except for stupid little tabs at the front of the rails. I could have hammered them flat but I don't like ruining stuff so I've ended up mounting them a bit forward. I have some spacers to allow for mounting a bit higher to clear the tab which would let me mount the whole thing a bit further rearward but I'd have to drill another hole in the mount on the floor - no drill to hand so that will have to wait.

So for now, they're a bit too far forward for my liking. Height is ok but with a helmet it would be tight. I think different sliders might solve the problems all in one. I have some but I'd need different side mounts. I might go down that route at a later date. Anyway, pics:

The annoying tab:Rails are a bit longer and mounted a bit forward to clear the tab:

One in (oooh what's that in the background):All done:

IMG_8114_zpstus41pv5.jpg

Sell me one of those seats. You can only sit in the driver side you know...

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Been a while since I've updated this. I kinda gave up when photo bucket decided to break the internet. I know there was a fix but I didn't do it but for some reason I can see my pics again.

I've moved on to imgur in any case.

Anyway, since last year, I've added fifteen52 outlaw wheels, subtracted the 996 GT3 CS sports seats, added black leather OEM sports seats and just tonight I put in the RUF 350 km/h speedo.

So now I have a mix of gauges - 964 turbo tacho to match the engine, RUF speedo and Andial boost gauge. Can't quite make my mind up. Wouldn't mind finding a RUF boost gauge.

I'm also considering EFI - but came across FrankenCIS which I'm researching.

Oh, almost forgot - 930 brakes are on, 930S steering wheel and new Bilstein shocks all around.

49a65an.jpg

o80UPuG.jpg

FSBpHnS.jpg

9 minutes ago, poli84 said:

Those seats look brand new Luke. I would love to be taken for a spin in this one time.

The seats are pretty much pristine. They were a very lucky score.

Happy to take you for a spin anytime. Even throw you the keys.

44 minutes ago, GUT said:

The seats are pretty much pristine. They were a very lucky score.

Happy to take you for a spin anytime. Even throw you the keys.

Ooooof, now we are talking! Might take you up on that offer, you can experience the hair raising thrills of a C4 ?

11 minutes ago, OZ930 said:

...and put the RUF wheels back on and a RUF steering wheel

I really just need a RUF horn pad. I think the 930S steering wheel is the same.

The RUF wheels are very heavy. I’d need another turbo to compensate.