HK 911

LeeM

Just done that mate. New battery recommended by the auto sparky. 

This has to be cleaned up methinks! Newbie question, but is it actually neccesary above the oil cooler? Looks like a dodgy installat

a/c condenser..oil coolers inside the r/h mudguard...well it should be

A productive day. Sorted 2 new tyres to match the rears. Big difference,  as the fronts were.....not very good! Dropped in to a body and paint shop for them to check out the cracking paint area. No rust,  just VERY bad paint prep he says. Happy with the quote, so theyll get my business when I can. After the battery got sorted yesterday, the indicators decided to kack themselves. Easy I thought, go get a new 4 pin flasher unit. HA! 7 shops later and ofcourse PAT (Porsche Added Tax) came into effect. I'm not going to even comment on the price of that or where I bought it, as you could feed a family at the Hilton with its price (the meal would probably be cheaper).

Call Mr Shady who offered to drop in later arvo, yet I wanted to get it sorted asap ready for tomorrow so he didnt have to drop in (cheers mate) , so I rang Mr Old School auto sparky who was here yesterday. An hour later, I think he and his son want to punch me in the throat! Mega buck flasher unit is dodgier than the original one, so they fit the old one!  Sorted after another 30 minutes, they leave, then they die again! Call sparky, he graciously comes back at no charge (Warren Wilson Electrical) Pulls 2 wires off, sorted.....kinda! They work, so I went for a drive coz I was bored, and filled up with 98 for tomorrow's drive with the SA PFA guys that I'm very much lookinh forward to. I booted it in 2nd after leaving the servo....bloody hell that woke me up! She goes a bit mister! 

I think the rear is a tad too low, as it seems to bottom out, or its the Bilsteins too hard....or something. I'll have to raise that up a bit to even it out for rego inspection (ugh!) 

Hangin to drive it in the hills tomorrow! 

20160513_190836.jpg

Haha, was thinking the same with lowering the front.

The rear feels like it rebounds to quickly. It doesnt 'kick out', just a very firm ride over small bumps, especially on the left. Will check in the morning

Cheers bud

So! My thoughts on this car. Be advised that this is the first real sports car I've ever owned, so please bare with my dribble.

I f.....g love it!  The torque is what I surprised at. You can just leave it in 3rd and grunt the thing out of corners like you would on a big Ducati. Then ofcourse when 3rd is too tall, you drop it back to second, and you get the 'Shit this is fast' when you're on the loud pedal on the way out, though I reckon I only saw 4500rpm once today out of the tighter corners.

When following Stew on a road I know very well on bikes, yet haven't been on for years, I had one small 'Shit, I'm too quick into here' moment, but it just turned so easily and held its line whilst on a mid throttle to pull it into line. Bloody amazing, yet that gave me more confidence to drive deeper in on a wider entry and power through the corner.

A bit of understeer and also bump steer is evident, especially on more constant radius bends, yet as Mark (jnr356) advised prior, I need to drop the front to get a bit more balance.. That should change the geometry a bit, as I reckon its a bit too rear biased, front sits up and pushes the front, yet getting to know how the car reacts, and my driving style will help that too. 

I might just have to hit the hills again for a test session.....err....sedate cruise tomorrow!

Great to see you're enjoying the SC.  The getting to know you phase is full of surprises.   Realising that the limits of these cars is higher than any road car has a right to is one of them.  Understeer while powering through a corner is normal, the opposite has been well documented-be careful.  Bump steer will be affected by ride height, going too low will increase it. There are spacers to relocate the rack back in-line with the tie rods if you want to go that way.  Otherwise make small adjustments followed by a wheel alignment and see how it goes.  

Cheers mate. I had a chat with Mark (jnr356) this morning, and he said the same thing. As did Shady and Stew re the spacers. Will look into it further very soon.

I can definitely see how these cars could get you in trouble reasonably easily if you're not paying attention, yet I do drive well within my limits...except for one over enthusiastic entry into a corner today ofcourse! Bike lines sometimes don't work in a car :-)

Or maybe I just overanalyze things too much!