HK 911

LeeM

Been a while since I updated this thread, so here's some.......updates!

Long story short, I had some paint rectification done coupla months ago, as the body prep by whoever painted it was pretty bad, so there was a big crack in the right rear guard. Being as silver is a bastard to colour match, the mobie paint guy took a chip and sorted that out. He then stripped some of the paint off,  prepped it correctly and blew in from back if the guard to front of the drivers door. An amazing job, and you can't see where old meets new. All done in my little garage too. 

Fast forward a bit to last Friday for rego inspection. Being as its an interstate car, I needed a VIN I.D check,  though as its also an import, I had to have a full roadworthy. Ugh! My stressing came to nought, as it passed with flying colours and nothing needed to be rectified. Awesome! 

That day, I got it home and ripped the seats out and fitted the Momo's I bought a while ago, as I still want it to be a hot rod/race car themed car. Also found a nice dished suede wheel and threw that on

I tried on some 10 inch wheels a friend has, and they fill the guards perfectly, and thought of buying them, yet I have the same wheels at home in 17's, and theyre not exactly what I want on the car. Trawling Gumtree, I found some real cheap Ronals in 16 x 7 and 8's, so they'll be here next week hopefully. They came off an SC, so I'm hoping the offset is similar to the Fuchs on there now.

Last night I fitted up some 18mm spacers on the rear with the 7's, and removed the rear bumper overriders and bump rubbers

Off to get it SA rego'd today FINALLY! 

2016-11-03%2021.05.15.jpg

Excuse the crap pic

20161031_155025.jpg

These are the 10's

20161030_110057.jpg

Hey Lee,

Ive been watching your progress (at first from afar in the UK) and now from home in Sydney and I think the SC is looking really great. It's improved gradually since you bought it and Im looking forward to more pics as you terrorize the good folk in them there Adelaide hills.

Cheers mate. It's been a slower progress than I had planned, yet work had slowed dramatically, and I had other priorities.

The good weather is gradually coming, so the hills are beckoning.....and no work will be done around the house.......again! ;-) 

So I was bored again, and couldn't be bothered mowing the lawns or much else around the house, so I dragged the car out into the driveway to see what I could do. I'm not a fan of the impact bumpers, and wish to fit some raceglass ones when funds are available, so in the meantime, I removed the front rubber to match the rears I did the other night. Much better look for my liking, yet I have to fill the holes with something, or a matching colour strip to hide them. The bumper bolts/nuts looked crap, so I found 4 Nyloc nuts and changed them (usually I have 3 of something but need 4!) Just need some sort of covers or dome head nuts. Also pretty happy with the 18mm rear wheel spacers. 25mm probably would have been perfect with the 7inch Fuchs, yet as above, I have some 8's coming this week which should fill the guard.

Went for a cruise along the beach afterwards,  and the Momo seats are awesome to drive with, though getting in and out is an exercise akin to a contortionist getting in and out of a toolbox! Dare say the missus won't enjoy that less than ladylike action ;-) 

20161105_184631.jpg 

• 1 month later...

First weekend that I've had the chance to get out in the pig for a while, and it never disappoints. The sound, the smell, the feeling of driving a car such as this really is unequalled. Sure there are much better cars on the market, and Cayman's have been on my radar for a while, but I'd drive that the same amount as I would this thing, yet probably wouldn't get the same buzz as the SC. For now, this ain't going anywhere! 

Just waitin' for a steak

20161218_175846.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Saw a photo of a loud pedal mod that Magnus had made out of some sort of wood to make heel toeing a bit easier. A bit too hipster style for me, so I thought I'd make my own, as I too find that I nearly dislocate my ankle when doing it.

Bought 2 6mm plastic chopping boards from Kmart for $4, removed and traced the pedal onto them, cut the em out with a jigsaw, drilled 3 6mm holes and screwed them on. Even drilled some 10mm race holes

Maybe not that attractive, but its much better! 

20161222_153424.jpg

Saw a photo of a loud pedal mod that Magnus had made out of some sort of wood to make heel toeing a bit easier. A bit too hipster style for me, so I thought I'd make my own, as I too find that I nearly dislocate my ankle when doing it.

Bought 2 6mm plastic chopping boards from Kmart for $4, removed and traced the pedal onto them, cut the em out with a jigsaw, drilled 3 6mm holes and screwed them on. Even drilled some 10mm race holes

Maybe not that attractive, but its much better! 

20161222_153424.jpg

you're the Jamie Oliver of the Porsche resto world mate ?

• 1 month later...

Got a some electrical issues I need to sort out soon.

When I first bought the car and getting it ready for roadworthy, I had an indicator issue. Had the mobile sparky come over twice, but he abandoned me, as it was all too hard, though he did work out that they seem to work off the instrument cluster somewhere (I also think Luke, aka Shady Speedway said the same). I had corresponding lights on the dash for that which were bright, though now the indicators work fine, but I only have one on the dash that works and very faint! When I finally got to the inspection, the inspector noticed when I touched the brakes, the left front parking light came on, and has kept doing it ever since. The cure for that was to remove the bulb till I found out whats going on. Next one was the rear brake light working when it felt like it. When I 'fixed' that (loose bulb), the interior lights all of a sudden started to work! Thought I'd solved that, though now I know when my brake light isn't working, coz the interior lights don't either. Ugh!!

Today showed another little problem. I must have knocked the indicator stalk as i got out of the car, and noticed my rear parking lights were on. Thought I'd left the lights on, but nope, they weren't on, yet when I pulled the light switch to the on position, the wipers started to operate without the key in the ignition. WTF? 

Pretty sure someone had fitted an alarm/immobilser at some point (there's a weird box next to the fuse box), so it might be time to save up for a sparky to spend a few hours on it methinks

Still got a bit of a 'thump' from the left rear. Kinda like a loose shock, but that is not the case, so I'll be checking a few things underneath this week

I haven't fitted the Ronal rims, as I haven't bought any tyres as yet, as I have not been paid for 8 weeks, so I'm waiting for a couple more weeks till I do that, and grab the Wevo shifter I have waiting for me. I'm hangin for those 2 things to happen!

Other than that, I've been enjoying the car even more since I've been in the hills a lot more, yet I am finding I'm either pushing it too hard and occasionally scaring the shit out of myself with understeer, need better suspension and brakes, or need to have it set up better. OR I need to stop expecting the old girl to keep up with a Cayman S in the hills!

A fun car anyway

Ah, old cars Lee, aren't they fun :)

I suspect the later, you just need to slow down a bit :ph34r:

Yyyyep! With ya there mate. I backed off a fair bit yesterday, and it was a much more enjoyable drive. Especially into 25 and 35kph turns

As for old cars......grrrrr! ;) I still love this thing though