HK 911

LeeM

I remember wiring in a car stereo for a mate many years ago.. when we turned on the stereo, the winscreen washer started to spray onto the front screen. And when we turned the volume up, it would increase the pressure of the water pump!! Hilarious.. turned out to be a bad earth in the boot of his car.

That's hilarious!  It's what I'm thinking is the catalyst for my problems, a bad earth somewhere

As I have the double wrap around front indicator lenses on the front, I removed the outer bulbs and painted the lenses satin black. Well that didn't work, as it played havoc with a few things, so I had to refit the bulb and they started working again. Weird

• 5 months later...

Seeing as Photobucket has decided to chuck a wobbly, I'll gradually update this thread with some pics from when I first bought it to now. I've owned well over 60 or 70 bikes and loads of cars, but this thing is the only car that I still just sit and look at. I love it. Excuse the shed mess, as it's a work in progress trying to throw stuff out 

20170715_175755.jpg

Floor tile gaps need looking at @LeeM .. the rest pretty good .. oh and I would be checking out that little bow and the ride height on the spare wheel shelf. 

good pick up @symsy I hadn't gotten past the whipper snipper on the top shelf, it looks like a dirty imported RHD conversion model to me.. surley not matching numbers @LeeM

good pick up @symsy I hadn't gotten past the whipper snipper on the top shelf, it looks like a dirty imported RHD conversion model to me.. surley not matching numbers @LeeM

Pair of clowns aintcha? Some dodgy whipper snipper that doesn't work, yet I'm too lazy to throw it out.

The shelf is level Symsy, but the cardboard bit you can see isn't. And yes I'm well aware of the tile gaps, yet they are temporary until I do a chequered lino or something else ??

whats that thing coming through your numberplate? - tow bar next?

LED license plate light 

Is that my rear bar?  Looks good

No mate. I'm still deciding whether I get the holes welded up on yours. Dunno if I want to ruin an original part

Mmmm. Stripes...... :D 

I'm no painter mate, so electrical tape it is! ?

• 4 weeks later...

Not much different to the above pic, but this one is a much better colour match after having some leftover paint from previous work put into spray cans. As I've mentioned, I've not done this sorta thing before  (so why not experiment on a Porsche ay?! ?), yet I'm enjoying it. It was doing my head in as to why the bumper wouldn't line up on one side and touched the muffler, then i realised last night that I had drilled the bolt hole underneath the guard 15mm too far back (one hole out basically). Sorted that after bumper removal #463, and it lines up nice now. I'm sure some will have a cry about one side looks 1.5mm lower on one side or the paint isn't perfect, yet it's not a perfect car so it doesn't matter. I need to repaint the sides in future, as there was some reaction with some filler or whatever, and it's bubbled up a bit. I'll be having the muffler modified to twin centre exit pipes, yet may do some hot dogs for some fruitier sounds too. Looking forward to doing the front soon

20170908_221538.jpg

Fitted some new pipes straight off the SSI's = Loud! ?

The modified stock muffler is bloody heavy, so these may stay on if I can tone down the decibels a bit more. I love it, but reckon it's a cop magnet at the moment. Tried getting a vid whilst driving (in a controlled environment ofcourse) but failed miserably 

Bits from Rennspeed should be here this week, so I hope to get stuck in to fitting the signal light/grille housings and bumper, then just wait for a mate to finish using his f/glass longhood and I'm done for now

20170917_104459.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So I received the Fibreglass front signal box frames from Rennspeed, and to say 'They need a bit of work to fit' is an understatement! One was ok after some work (expected), but the other was a bit of a joke, and I had to do so many relief cuts that it looks like Jabberjaw the shark had a bite out of it! 

Having a sook to the missus, she suggested using a heat gun to make it more pliable and bend it till it cools down. Being a stubborn bloke, I didn't think it would work, but ofcourse it bloody well worked a treat! ?? The pie cuts probably helped (can't give her all the credit), yet they're now ready to fit to the guards when I buy a fibreglass kit. I probably should have heated it up first, as I reckon that's all you'd need to do. Just don't tell my missus that part!

They don't have any sort of lip on the top to attach to the standard holes under the guards which is a bit annoying, so after watching a Home Built by Jeff video on working with fibreglass, I'll attach something before fitment. Woulda posted some pics, but the site is down for maintenance ?

• 2 weeks later...

Coming together nicely.

Do you have long hood indicators and horn grills, or are you going to go with a Hot Rod version?

Thanks mate

Thought of doing the R style, but this was easier for me. Easy=good ?

20171009_203005.jpg

Will have the hood to fit this weekend, so I'm hoping that fits ok, and I can get back to driving it on Sunday 

I should add that my car is a 10 footer when you squint at it with a hangover, so what I'm doing here will not be perfect. Just enough to look good for my satisfaction

Perfect observation! I like an old car with some faults , not a celebrity botox hair dyed makeover. You'll have a ball not worrying about it!

I always do mate ;)

The grille and lense in the pic above is just sitting there loose, so it has to come up a bit which will hide the edge of the guard

I had trouble trying to keep the bezels in place to attach them, as there is no lip ontop, and I couldn't use a clamp and was ready to have a tanty and throw my toys out of the pram, but AndrewW had the brainstorm of using a hot melt glue gun which worked a treat. Lucky the missus has a weird obsession with stationary (you have NO idea how weird!) and had a hobby glue gun in her stash. Bloody strong glue too. I attached them with fibreglass, but the left side I'd probably not used enough hardener, so it didn't take very well, so I ended up removing it and using body filler. In hindsight, I should have just used that in the first place as  Andrew and Zander (Boys own Garage) suggested. In my infinite wisdom, I thought fibreglass would be easier to use, though I can state categorically I'd rather not use that stuff again! I was going to use a product called Fibre Fix which is a tape you dunk in water and just slap it on. It goes rock hard after 10 minutes, but I was told if you don't line up the panels right and it sets, you're stuffed, and it's a bitch to sand (like Fglass is as I found out) but I couldn't find the product anyway. I'd preferred to have bought metal signal boxes, but they're crazy money, and I can't weld, so this was the easiest and cheapest option. If you're thinking of backdating and having a crack yourself, these bezels are ok if you have patience and cheapish ($330AUD delivered with grilles), but these were twisted pretty badly, and one was longer than the other one, so I had to do a few relief cuts and heat them up to get them close to fitting. If I was to do it again, I'd probably save some headaches and buy full guards, though I dare say most fibreglass stuff needs work to fit correctly

Cost all up is around $1400AUD with colour match spray cans doing it myself. More if you buy new bumpers (rear was new, front was used), yet I have an steel standard S bumper coming in the near future, so I'll sell this RS one and have already pre sold my SC bumpers. The hood I'm getting is to suit the SC latch, so I didn't have to change the front panel (thankfully), but I have traded some bits for that, so if I had to buy one, they're anywhere from $700 to $900 to buy. Rear was a piece of pi$$ and took around 3 hours all up. Front is another story all together, though now I know how to do it, it would probably take a day or 2. If I had all the bits front and rear, you could turn it around within a few days easily I reckon, though remember I'm not mega fussy, and I'm doing enough to make it look like it's always been there. It's not a show car with perfect gaps and paint, it's more like an old race car that gets patched up as neatly as possible ready for the next race meeting