HK 911

LeeM

I had trouble trying to keep the bezels in place to attach them, as there is no lip ontop, and I couldn't use a clamp and was ready to have a tanty and throw my toys out of the pram, but AndrewW had the brainstorm of using a hot melt glue gun which worked a treat. Lucky the missus has a weird obsession with stationary (you have NO idea how weird!) and had a hobby glue gun in her stash. Bloody strong glue too. I attached them with fibreglass, but the left side I'd probably not used enough hardener, so it didn't take very well, so I ended up removing it and using body filler. In hindsight, I should have just used that in the first place as  Andrew and Zander (Boys own Garage) suggested. In my infinite wisdom, I thought fibreglass would be easier to use, though I can state categorically I'd rather not use that stuff again! I was going to use a product called Fibre Fix which is a tape you dunk in water and just slap it on. It goes rock hard after 10 minutes, but I was told if you don't line up the panels right and it sets, you're stuffed, and it's a bitch to sand (like Fglass is as I found out) but I couldn't find the product anyway. I'd preferred to have bought metal signal boxes, but they're crazy money, and I can't weld, so this was the easiest and cheapest option. If you're thinking of backdating and having a crack yourself, these bezels are ok if you have patience and cheapish ($330AUD delivered with grilles), but these were twisted pretty badly, and one was longer than the other one, so I had to do a few relief cuts and heat them up to get them close to fitting. If I was to do it again, I'd probably save some headaches and buy full guards, though I dare say most fibreglass stuff needs work to fit correctly

The fibre glass body filler is pretty good for structural stuff, but the regular filler doesn't have much structural strength and will crack pretty easily. The other issue is that when you attach fibreglass to metal it will eventually crack. If you do it really well you will get a few years, but the main issue is that the metal expands and contracts differently to the fibreglass, on top of the vibrations from driving and eventually it will show, but when you DIY, you know how to fix it if it bothers you. You get so much more out of doing it yourself.

The fibre glass body filler is pretty good for structural stuff, but the regular filler doesn't have much structural strength and will crack pretty easily. The other issue is that when you attach fibreglass to metal it will eventually crack. If you do it really well you will get a few years, but the main issue is that the metal expands and contracts differently to the fibreglass, on top of the vibrations from driving and eventually it will show, but when you DIY, you know how to fix it if it bothers you. You get so much more out of doing it yourself.

Cheers Jeff. Expecting I'll have to do some running repairs eventually, yet as you say, there's a lot of satisfaction doing it meself ?

Nearly there. Just need the hood and I'm basically done. It ain't perfect, but I'm happy with it ? 

I've decided to get the mobile paint guy I've used before to do the painting soon, as he knows what he's doing, and I want a half decent job.....and ofcourse he's pretty cheap. Now I can get back to driving the thing

20171013_235215.jpg

Get some Magners cider stickers and drive it around for a while and maybe a walkers crisp sticker... that will shut them the feck up ..

Then post it on his page and ask him for an outlaw sticker

Magners & Walkers  - for racing and when your at the pub

Genius! ?

(Already got some Urban Outlaw decals and a cap that I have worn practically everyday thanks to our very own Paddington Outlaw ?) 

• 2 weeks later...

You thinking pre 70 small bumper/ 'ST' style? 

Yeah mate, something like that anyway. May have an original S bumper available soon

lee

i've got a T bumper in FG brand new painted 8080 silver metallic, $400 + shipping from Newcastle NSW.

you could save yourself some coin and do the Luftansa blue and yellow bonnetin vinyl, looks good on a silver long hood.

Will pm you fella, cheers

You did back date (ignore my question in your FS thread). Good stuff! Are you going to do anything to the sills? Remove and polish up the oil lines?

Thanks mate. A backdate was always the plan, yet I couldn't afford to pay someone to do it, so I had a crack meself. I'm no fan of the IB accordions, yet I had thought of fitting glass bumpers, but I love longhoods, so I sucked it up and bought some bits. In hindsight, I should have fitted steel signal bezels which I may do in the future (I'm learning to weld in the new year, as the missus used to use a Mig welder occasionally), so it's a 10 foot car at the moment till I clean things up a bit more, yet I'm happy with the result so far.

I will be removing the sills for sure, maybe today if I can be arsed, though I doubt I'll polish the lines in situ. Too hard basket ?

Thanks mate. A backdate was always the plan, yet I couldn't afford to pay someone to do it, so I had a crack meself. I'm no fan of the IB accordions, yet I had thought of fitting glass bumpers, but I love longhoods, so I sucked it up and bought some bits. In hindsight, I should have fitted steel signal bezels which I may do in the future (I'm learning to weld in the new year, as the missus used to use a Mig welder occasionally), so it's a 10 foot car at the moment till I clean things up a bit more, yet I'm happy with the result so far.

I will be removing the sills for sure, maybe today if I can be arsed, though I doubt I'll polish the lines in situ. Too hard basket ?

Great stuff Lee and good on you for giving it a go yourself. It's coming along nicely, and certainly nothing wrong with a 10 foot car given you like to keep it moving!

Great stuff Lee and good on you for giving it a go yourself. It's coming along nicely, and certainly nothing wrong with a 10 foot car given you like to keep it moving!

Cheers fella, much appreciated. New bumper from @epilot (cheers again Craig) should arrive end of this or next week, so I'll fit that, then that will be it for a while

• 2 months later...
On 03/11/2017 at 9:06 AM, poli84 said:

You did back date (ignore my question in your FS thread). Good stuff! Are you going to do anything to the sills? Remove and polish up the oil lines?

Well as a matter of fact, yes! ?

After much procrastination (aka laziness), a bloody hot shed, friends and Instagram followers asking about it, I've managed to get a start on removing the sill panel covers. I've polished most of the oil lines (can't be arsed removing them) yet undecided whether to paint them or not. Will have a crack at lowering the rear a bit if there's any adjustment, and check a few things underneath while I'm there, yet we're heading for some mega heat this week, so I'll probably be in the house with a few beers and Aircond ?

20180122_184056.jpg