My Mk1 GT3 CS_MEZGR

hugh

Finally...............after a long wait I have found my MK1 GT3 CS. Better still I'm finally getting around to writing up a post about this illusive car that I've lusted after for so long, and here she is;

IMG_2459_zpsqrqt4s6q.jpg

Not that I've ever really wanted a black car but I did I did want one of these specifically in black just because I think it adds that extra edge to the soft lines of the 996. I've always liked the so-called under-rated models, initially the impact bumper, than the 964 and now I've fallen for the 996 - who knows what will be next? Maybe a Panamera? :blink::D

After a frantic realisation that there was my dream car being listed on carsales I desperately tried to contact the owner who was (typically) being inundated with enquiries. I finally managed to get through and found myself in an offline auction and was holding little hope for being able to make a deal and secure the car. Few more sms's and 12 hours later a deal was done and I couldn't believe it! :)

As it would happen I was taking the family away to Sydney for the weekend and after a quick change to the return fights (destination = Brisbane) myself and Archie headed north for a road trip to get to know the new addition whist bringing it home back to Melbourne. 

Archie on arrival to the sellers home in Brisbane to pick up the car;

IMG_2439_zpszbn90jrz.jpg

We then headed south to Tamworth, my place of birth, Country Music Capital! and where my Dad still resides. It was a short overnight stay but we still managed to do some necessary sight seeing, first stop - the old BMX track (looking very worse for wear :()

IMG_2447_zps7gttmfr2.jpg

We then headed towards Dubbo where we encountered our fair share of roadworks and narrow bumpy roads...............taking some route pointers from my Brother (who does the odd road trip in his WRX)..........Little dirt don't slow you down. ;)

IMG_2457_zpspcg1a7kw.jpg

IMG_2448_zpsafwwdepk.jpg

IMG_2452_zps5kniqibp.jpg

IMG_2458_zps3nkemaf1.jpg

Edited by hugh

After 1700+ kms we arrived back in Melbourne, tied but all smiles thankfully. 

First stop was Nick at Cascone to give the car a once over and get the roadworthy certificate. Nick made a list of items (thankfully mostly little things) that needed attention, broken clips, plastic's etc. and saw to getting them sorted. Then off to Vic Roads to pay my pound of flesh but not till after these arrived;

IMG_2501_zps7xmbliei.jpg

IMG_2556_zps0vqu7lfk.jpg

Next stop, Michael Bailey + Euro Panel to give the exterior some attention & TLC. After the trip home (+ dirt road work sections!) I really wanted to get the car properly detailed, but I did also want to get the front bar sprayed as it also had a few scratches/stone chips as to be expected on a 16yo car. The partnership of Michael and Peter (Euro Panel) was awesome as this meant both items could be attended to in-conjunction with one another. The GT3 got striped and prepared for detailing whilst Peter and his crew (mostly family) attended to any parts needing attention. 

In the end I ended up redoing the bonnet, lower side sills, leading edge of the rear bumper along with the front bar. Its a slippery slope but while your at it..................:rolleyes:

Bonnet being stripped and prepared for paint;

IMG_0975_zpssdnwnyhb.jpeg

Front end removed, panels of being painted, Michael about to get to work cleaning;

IMG_5216_zps5e9j9yvf.jpg

Michael came highly recommended (via several PFA'ers, 2 of whom have very new & shiny BLACK GT Porsches) so I knew I was in safe hands. Peter (whom Michael has known for some 30 years) has had plenty of experience with Porsches and knows right down to the detail of the German paint Porsche use - amazingly professional service and shop, very impressive actually and well worth the trip to Geelong. 

I've never had a car cleaned to this level but I couldn't even help myself and spent a weekend under it to ensure every last piece of mud had been gone!

IMG_2505_zpstbid7c3o.jpg

The finished result;

IMG_2544_zpsnxnt4lnl.jpg

IMG_2545_zpsj4ikswwj.jpg

Michael's work is very impressive and to top it off he's a great (and very entertaining!) gentleman. He looked after me and the GT3 very well and I'm very grateful for it :)

Next stop is off to get some new rear rubber and then it will be getting clear wrapped...................I have a small list of items (mostly cosmetic) that I will attend to in time to keep me occupied but the major extent of getting the car sorted is well and truly under way. 

Time to now grow some and enjoy it as intended. :rolleyes::):D

Thanks for reading, I'll try to keep the thread updated with progress unlike my neglected 964 thread...............<_<

Cheers, Hugh. 

Edited by hugh

Congrats again and glad to see you can finally let the cat out of the bag.  Bit greedy though owning a C3, 964C2 and now GT3 CS........leave something for fellow PFAers.

Admire your attention to detail.  I'm collecting my car this weekend from RSR.  Alas a sale was not to be given the flood of GT2s on the market.  No stress, that simply means it's 996GT drive time!  It's been a while between spirited drives.  I better start polishing.....

Congrats Hugh, what a great car. Love the road trip home with your son and the get it sorted attitude right out of the gate attitude. 

Your garage set up with lift is a thing of envy. Enjoy mate, I look forward to seeing it in the flesh soon. 

I too spoke to the PO of this car, my heart wasn't in it and timing as it went put me with my destiny. :) 

I am really glad you got the car Hugh, I know you've wanted one for some time now and this one sounded like a peach.