Interstate car purchase logistics

Hi guys, 

I've purchased a S4 928 from Gold Coast and need to get it to Perth. So looking at Brisbane depot to Perth depot. I've reviewed previous transport recommendations on the forum such as Ceva, Utrans, uniquecarcarriers and others so will look into that aspect. However it's been 8 years since I purchased my 911 3.2 from the Classic Throttle Shop and so I can't recall the registration logistics etc.

The car is registered until Nov16 in QLD. However as I'm in Perth my plan is:

1. My parents drive and drop the 928 at the Brisbane depot, remove number plates (and return these to seller) and the seller cancels QLD registration and gets a rebate (we discussed this as part of our negotiation).

2. When car arrives in Perth I'll get a day permit and put her over the pits, new plates, new rego etc.

Does that sound right or am i missing something.  

Thanks Bryan

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Bryan,

Firstly, congrats on the new car purchase ....

Not being from WA I cant comment on your state, but that's exactly how it would be done if it was coming to NSW .... although when getting an "unregistered vehicle permit" (UVP), I would get it for 3 or 4 days as you might need to do some running around for rego. In NSW they can be applied for and bought on the internet website of the RTA.

Usually, an unregistered car can be driven to and from the place of roadworthy without a permit, but in this case you might need some extra leeway .....

more importantly - what were CTS selling 3.2's for 8 years ago?

low $60's, but absolutely immaculate concours specimen. I searched for 2 years and turned down many $40K and $50K examples before paying top dollar for my 3.2.  Since then it's won two concours....

Funny you should ask as I kept a spreadsheet of all the cars on the market 8 years ago with photos and everything. Very interesting to see what you could have picked up 930's etc back then. Even a 964 turbo for very reasonable $$.  Easy in hind sight!

low $60's, but absolutely immaculate concours specimen. I searched for 2 years and turned down many $40K and $50K examples before paying top dollar for my 3.2.  Since then it's won two concours....

Funny you should ask as I kept a spreadsheet of all the cars on the market 8 years ago with photos and everything. Very interesting to see what you could have picked up 930's etc back then. Even a 964 turbo for very reasonable $$.  Easy in hind sight!

Tell me about it - even 4 years ago you could buy an imported 930 in the 40s, no problem at all.  I looked at a C3 at $43k, saw M491 3.2s for high 40s/early 50s and the going price for a decent SC was 30-40k.  LHD/Import SCs were 20-30k in decent condition.  In the US it was even better with decent 3.2s starting at 23k (when dollar was 1:1) and decent SCs 17-20k.

Going back further than that I remember looking at 3.2s in the UK 10 years ago (an 87 G50) for 8-9k GBP (call it 25k AUD)  They probably needed rust repair in the sills at that but at todays prices you could have fixed that and resprayed the entire car and still been ahead.  mind you, an e30 M3 was 5-6k GBP at the time and most were considered track hacks.

And just for real fun dig up some old ads from the USA from 8-9 years ago for long hoods - old hat, rust affected, small engines - who would want them.  If you cleared $15k for one it must be a real peach!  I could have bought a shed full of them, done nothing and just covered in dust cloths and funded whatever car I wanted now.

Hindsight, hindsight.  I think we all knew they were relatively cheap at the time but if we're honest the magnitude of the jump and the speed it happened was fast.

Potentially less hassle if you are able to transfer it into your name in QLD first, keep the numberplate on the car; then may not need to go over pits in WA.

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/license-a-vehicle-from-interstate.asp

However, if the car is any good it should go over the pits ok anyway and that would be less hassle than doing the title transfer in QLD.

...aaand now I've read the above link properly... you would need to own in it QLD for 12 months...so its has to be inspected in WA.

It's an '88 S4 and the PO just had a $14K engine out refresh of the engine and other aspects.

Car is booked in with Ceva but wont arrive in Perth for a few weeks.

In the interim, here are some pretty poor photos. Will take better one once the car arrives.  

The car is currently wearing GTS rims.

cp5723053740534609821_zpssk9ebmii.jpg

cp5020631394338875623_zpswchhomz5.jpg

cp5416576472330024211_zpsfmqx5gsa.jpg

cp4954750588426608556_zpskjd7tl6k.jpg

cp5138670885087004111_zpscwae9rs4.jpg

Congrats, that is a lovely combo, and with such a service update you have that trouble free motoring feeling.....well done!!

Interesting to see cars swapping east / west coast as I recently acquired my S4 from Perth, and also had a good experience with Ceva

Thanks guys. Hopefully it should be a nice car. I'm looking forward to seeing it. 

Congrats.  Awesome looking car.

Does WA have club plate system?  Is that worth considering rather than full rego?

Yes, I believe WA does have a club plate system, but I don't really want to be restricted to just club events. I'd like to drive it work semi regularly and I don't believe you can on club plates?  Happy to be proven wrong though.

Just a note on Ceva,

About five years ago I bought a 1997 Turbo from Port Douglas in Queensland and had Ceva transport the car to there depot in Perth. The car arrived on a Friday and I got there about 3 pm. (Super exited to pick up the new car).

On arrival they offered me a coffee while they bought the car round the front for me. Then this 911 sc turns up and they give me the keys! This is not my car, yes it is. No it's not! I sit back down and an hour later they say " we've already delivered it and it's been signed for. The car was not to be delivered to anywhere, I am to pick it up here. By now it's nearly 5 o'clock Friday.

Eventually the manager comes out, gives me $30 with an address and says go get it. It was delivered to a factory in Perth, the people there had agreed to have the car delivered to them, but had no idea what type of Porsche they were receiving. 

I finally get my car nearly in tears with frustration and anger. How to have one of the biggest purchases of my life only to be f"-!:@ over by a bunch of useless pricks.

Wrote them a letter of my disappointment with there service and did'nt even get a reply.   

NOW ya tell me!

Hope I'll be picking an SC up tomorrow, and not a 924 or something! (I know its here, as I've been tracking it) 

I recommended Ceva to a bloke on another forum a few years ago with his pretty rare Low Light Karmann Ghia. He had viewed the car here, so he knew all the panels were good, and the doors worked ok. 

Anyway. He receives the car with the drivers door bent backwards, yet the yard bloke said it was a 'strong wind' that had bent it (or something to that effect). More like dopey left the door open whilst reversing methinks!

I still haven't heard the last of recommending them since it happened either. You know who you are!!

Had CEVA bring a Chrysler 300 SRT from a dealer in Sydney to Melb door to door and it arrives with 50 extra ks on the clock and the radio of course still has all Sydney stations programmed in - except one station programmed to Melbourne triple M .... go figure! Hope he enjoyed going for a good thrash!

Archived