XU1 SHANNONS only went for 47K

Wow, 47K for one of these icons.    I would have thought they were pulling a lot lot more than that.

I haven't popped in to SHANNONS lately so haven't seen this one in the metal, but 47K?

Looks a bit rough or original under the bonnet and interior compared to the body, so I'm assuming its had a respray...

But still 47K...

https://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/2016-shannons-melbourne-autumn-classic-auction/YCCN949FEN5L5C8F/

I'm with you Niko, seem's way to cheap. I actually was a Torana guy, owning 2 X XU-1's (LC & LJ) SL/R 5000, SL/R5000 L34 and an SS A9X.(not at the same time, always had to sell one to fund the next)

They are mighty little cars, I wonder if this one was numbers matching, I noticed it had a JP block but maybe not original to the car.

As a side note, back in the day, A (semi) Mate had an XU-1 that he smashed into a pole and wrote off. Went to the wreckers bought an EJ/EH station wagon body and transferred all the XU-1 running gear into it. I often wonder whether that XU-1 wagon is still running around.   

The car is a bitza, the shell is an LC series, prime tags fitted. Story goes that the original car was rolled by the salesman, re-bodied with an 1970 LC shell and most bits transferred over. The done thing back then when matching numbers and originality mattered little. 47k for a replica with some original bits is good. Good originals goes for a lot more, usually by word of mouth, it's a tight community us XU1 guys are in.

Dominic.

Archived