club permit registration

PeterP

Hi,

As my first anniversary of Porsche onwership approaches, I note that there have been changes to the club permit that seem to make it more appealing. Is there anything to look out for under this scheme? My car is a 78 so fites the age etc, and is only a weekend driver.

Appreciate any feedback,

cheers

Peter :blink:

I have an 83 and got my clubs plates a couple of months ago under the classic permit. It was $66 for 60 days driving. You can also buy a 90days. If you go over you can simply buy another block. I drive my car to work a couple of times a month and write 'exercise' or 'testing' in my log book. You don't have to be on an official club event. It also brought my insurance down to ~$330. So all in all its working well for me.

Hey Guys

Soak it up, over in WA they only have club rego and you have to be on a club event...SUCKS

Adelaide is cool, about $110 a year for 90 days use for whatever...PERFECT...and you can pay 3 year blocks of rego, you just need to be a member of the PCSA which is pretty much a given anyway...lol

Pete

It took 5 years to achieve this Scheme thanks to the dedicated work of the Association of Motoring Clubs and Rod Amos. It has excellent provisions and the only obligation is to fill out the Log Book and do the right thing by the scheme. Has saved me over $500 a year in rego and insurance, and the more enthusiasts that embrace it the better. Just paid $129 for 90 days driving, can't beat that as an incentive.

I have been on the club permit scheme with a couple of my other vehicles almost since its original configuration many years ago and have always found it to be an excellent option.

The new model that has been introduced earlier this year appears to be excellent update, allowing a very enlightened attitude to classic motoring.

It is very similar to the Sth. Australian system that has been in successful operation for many years.

I would wholeheartedly support the idea of its use

Dave

• 2 years later...

I would like to organise club permit plates for my car and scouting for a good local car club in Melbourne's SE suburbs.

Would be interested in hearing from anyone with a recommendation or pitfalls.

I have an 83 and got my clubs plates a couple of months ago under the classic permit. It was $66 for 60 days driving. You can also buy a 90days. If you go over you can simply buy another block. I drive my car to work a couple of times a month and write 'exercise' or 'testing' in my log book. You don't have to be on an official club event. It also brought my insurance down to ~$330. So all in all its working well for me.

Sure it isn't 45 days

Agree as per comments above, definitely recommend getting the car transferred onto club plates. The savings in rego and insurance are quite considerable especially for a car that gets little use. Do it for sure.  :)

Three things you will need to do;

1. Join a club

2. Get a road worthy 

3. Fill out the transfer papers (available on Vic Roads website: http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Registration/FeesFormsAndFAQs/Forms/

Take the completed and signed paper work into Vic Roads, pay your fees (45 or 90 day permit) and they will hand you plates over the counter. 

The only down side is that they are big red plates - no slimline or B/W combinations, but I can use my XUL DV8  plates on my Silvia.

:ph34r:  :D  ;)

I would like to organise club permit plates for my car and scouting for a good local car club in Melbourne's SE suburbs.

Would be interested in hearing from anyone with a recommendation or pitfalls.

I have my permits with Maserati Car Club, great to deal with and happy to recommend them. 

http://www.maserati.org.au/Default.aspx?pageId=1479724

Yes I joined the PCV.

I am in the process on getting the car ready for roadworthy, all you need to do is send the PCV admin a copy of your roadworthy certificate and club registration form, they will rubber stamp the form and post it back to you.

Take the form and payment to vicroads and recieve your plates.

Pretty easy process.

Do you have the same restrictions in VIC as we do in NSW?

Historic vehicles manufactured 30 or more years ago are eligible for conditional registration if the operator belongs to a Roads and Maritime Services -recognised historic vehicle club, and the vehicle has not been altered except for certain safety features or period accessories.  The vehicle's use of the road network is restricted to club events.

The form still says the car can be used "for servicing or inspection" also. I wonder if an SMT can be classed as a tuning run.

Why wouldnt you just join the porsche club?

I am a PCV member also but know more people within the Maserati club. They are also open to all Marques so regardless of what you drive you can participate in their events as I have friends with non P cars and it works quite well.

Both great clubs, just comes down to personal preference.

I have been on the club permit scheme with a couple of my other vehicles almost since its original configuration many years ago and have always found it to be an excellent option.

The new model that has been introduced earlier this year appears to be excellent update, allowing a very enlightened attitude to classic motoring.

It is very similar to the Sth. Australian system that has been in successful operation for many years.

I would wholeheartedly support the idea of its use

Dave

It is a fabulous licensing scheme - and it astounds me that NSW rejected it.  How dumb can we be?  I've my car on full rego and would struggle to drive it 45 days.  Full rego and insurance costs = about $1000.00, relate that to cost per outing. 

What are the guys in NSW thinking?  Are they thinking at all?

Club plates definitely look like providing some savings, great to see Vic has made a good decision for enthusiasts.

I had heard some conflicting comments re potential clubs and the way they are run.  Will probably head down the PCV track, apparently they have a points system in place.  Not sure if this is for competitions or across the board to satisfy membership?

Now to find a trustworthy centre in Melbourne's S/E I can get the roadworthy done at, any suggestions?

sounds great, I wish Queensland would take up this system instead of the heavily regulated 'club permit' system where you either have to be on a club run or driving to or from a mechanic or other maintenance service

KS

Adelaide is cool, about $110 a year for 90 days use for whatever...PERFECT...and you can pay 3 year blocks of rego, you just need to be a member of the PCSA which is pretty much a given anyway...lol

Pete

Don't quote me on this, but I'm told you don't specifically have to be a member of PCSA from my inquiries. 

Most Porsche guys I've met that have cars on historic or club rego. are members of various car clubs in SA, so they don't have to be Porsche specific clubs.

A mate of mine started his own club in SE Melbourne. He is into Aussie muscle cars mainly but does has an early VW. Main reason he did the DIY club is for the rego advantage and doesn't have to give his car details plus name and address to unknown people. PM if anyone wants contact details.

Qld might catch up in a few years, we are a little slow here at times. We do have awesome weather to make up for it!

I have both my P cars on club rego here in Qld and I'd be lying if I said it didn't effect how much I use them. A logbook would be a much fairer system. I'd be lucky to drive them 6 times a year each. Plus I pay full rego on another 4 cars. They get their pound of flesh out of me for the few kms I do. 

• 4 weeks later...

Club plates definitely look like providing some savings, great to see Vic has made a good decision for enthusiasts.

I had heard some conflicting comments re potential clubs and the way they are run.  Will probably head down the PCV track, apparently they have a points system in place.  Not sure if this is for competitions or across the board to satisfy membership?

Now to find a trustworthy centre in Melbourne's S/E I can get the roadworthy done at, any suggestions?

Hi there,

I am a member of the Australian Typ 901 Register which is a club for old long hood 911's although quite a few members have G series and later cars, membership is only $50 a year.

Detlef Specht at Autohaus Engineering in Rowville will do a no fuss roadworthy and the clubs president Clyde Boyer lives nearby to get your forms signed, too easy !

Cheers,

Chris

A mate of mine started his own club in SE Melbourne. He is into Aussie muscle cars mainly but does has an early VW. Main reason he did the DIY club is for the rego advantage and doesn't have to give his car details plus name and address to unknown people. PM if anyone wants contact details.

Qld might catch up in a few years, we are a little slow here at times. We do have awesome weather to make up for it!

Oh this is exactly what is causing concern among the legit clubs. 

They have fought long and hard to gain access to a fair system and do not want to abuse of the the privilege by those that are just looking for the loopholes in the the system.

These bozos can burn it for everyone.

Two examples that will cause us grief in the long term, twice in the last 12 month's old Hilux ute on club plates with all his plumbing gear in

And looks more like it should be at the tip,

Second one another old Japanese ute on CP's used as a workhorse for a panel beater near where I worked , back full of junk from the panel shop, and just parked on the road for the day for the last 18 month's

Archived