LA trip - Outlaw city

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made you a route map in case The Bearded Gent doesn't come through.

Mix of the PCH and Canyons, 130km all up.  Would take 3+ hours I reckon.  Couple of good seafood joints to stop at on the way back along the PCH.

https://www.plotaroute.com/route/223854

You guys are all pansies, and staying in the wrong part of town.

Didn't you know that Magnus lives in a big warehouse because it was formerly known as 'crack house central' in that area?

Go and take a peeksie at Westwood, Brentwood or Beverly Hills and you'll see a different planet.

I made you a route map in case The Bearded Gent doesn't come through.

Mix of the PCH and Canyons, 130km all up.  Would take 3+ hours I reckon.  Couple of good seafood joints to stop at on the way back along the PCH.

https://www.plotaroute.com/route/223854

yep - doesn't seem right to have the car locked up a few blocks away whilst I am here. Booked in to drive it to a Steve McQueen show on Saturday early in the morning, but got alot of time to kill until an 11pm flight out. Might try this route after - 'Get out and Drive' like the man says!

Singer booked in for 10 tomorrow.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/11585+Sheldon+St,+Los+Angeles,+CA+91352/@34.2464294,-118.38739,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x80c293fb3c0acac9:0x1e7d2fc1a37205!8m2!3d34.2464294!4d-118.3852013

Have you got insurance though?  Magnus might be happy for you to drive it around on his insurance until cash has changed hands or something, but I'd be wanting an agreement.

Otherwise, I think progressive insurnce can give out policies for out-of-towners.  Just insure it until it leaves the docks then cancel and get the balance of the policy back.

Sky looks overcast.  One thing you don't want to do is give a turbo on slicks a bootful of gas on a lightly-wet LA road, when you don't have the insurance sorted out!

Have you got insurance though?  Magnus might be happy for you to drive it around on his insurance until cash has changed hands or something, but I'd be wanting an agreement.

Otherwise, I think progressive insurnce can give out policies for out-of-towners.  Just insure it until it leaves the docks then cancel and get the balance of the policy back.

Sky looks overcast.  One thing you don't want to do is give a turbo on slicks a bootful of gas on a lightly-wet LA road, when you don't have the insurance sorted out!

very good advice

yep - doesn't seem right to have the car locked up a few blocks away whilst I am here. Booked in to drive it to a Steve McQueen show on Saturday early in the morning, but got alot of time to kill until an 11pm flight out. Might try this route after - 'Get out and Drive' like the man says!

Singer booked in for 10 tomorrow.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/11585+Sheldon+St,+Los+Angeles,+CA+91352/@34.2464294,-118.38739,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x80c293fb3c0acac9:0x1e7d2fc1a37205!8m2!3d34.2464294!4d-118.3852013

Skunkwerks central been there done that ?

you going to emorys shop ? If you do  ask to see the 356 annular brakes they remade and got to work and of course the. car that started there Le Mans winning spree. Oh yeh the 356-964 is cute

Beautiful morning here in LA, excessive heat warning for today already.

Perhaps that's why the fire trucks trundled past our hotel twice at 5.30am, think they were lost.

I want a SINGER! Cool factory visit. No photos allowed but I did get a few 'before' pics. 4 litre unit looks very cool. Some very 'interesting' colour choices going on in there ;) 

did see a car bound for NZ. Lots of HK cars. Also interesting to hear that three have sold recently into the second hand market - average 25% premium on original sale price, so doing better than ZAG backdates :ph34r:

F1F4AA29-E6E4-49CB-8305-D6C6E3A73E47_zps

15D49755-70C3-41A6-9E8C-F9388D36647D_zps

E0EAAE57-8660-4B10-A41D-BFB7598745B9_zps

Tom nows the time to take your bearded ass down long beach way. Particularly do stop in and see honest engines... within spittin distance you'll find another 7 or so places of biz 

Hairy ass didn't sound right 

Very envious of this trip Mr T, well done on making it happen.

MW's 964 has grown on me A LOT, looks fantastic. 

I didn't know he had the second storage area with the 924's 914's, etc, thought it was only the 'main showroom' we always see. Very cool.

Very envious of this trip Mr T, well done on making it happen.

MW's 964 has grown on me A LOT, looks fantastic. 

I didn't know he had the second storage area with the 924's 914's, etc, thought it was only the 'main showroom' we always see. Very cool.

He did a really good job on it. Photos definitely don't do it justice. Still - what I couldn't show you in the Singer shop would have really impressed you more. Seeing the details of these cars upfront was an experience I wont forget and confirms the conclusion I had come to that replicating these in OZ would be near impossible. So wish I had been able to take photos. However the prices have climbed. Base models start at $500KUS, but I saw a car that had been optioned up to over $700KUS.

Magnuss place was like your perfect personal shop - lots of parts and cars and projects underway. He even showed me his 'Hot wheels design drawings, videos in production etc etc. Going back there tomorrow to pick up the Turbo for the day :) 

To be honest, LA is a bleak hole. I vowed never to go back there. The beach is OK , but we've got all that and more back in Oz. Runyon canyon is a nice run (on foot)  , because there are no houses. But again , I kept wishing I'd detoured north to Canada (but she wanted to see Hollyweird , now there's a grubby shitehole if ever there was).

Archived