Show us your front engined Pcar beauty, it must be something you own or owned.

TINGY

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Very nice cars on this thread!

Here are a few scenic shots of my 944T on a recent road trip in NZ.  May is such a great time for this - School's back in, tourists have largely disappeared and still warm.

For those who may be familiar with the area:

• 1st 2 are a long way up way up in Kenepuru Sound.  Very isolated and lots of shingle roads which may be a bit off putting for some.  The paved roads are also in very poor condition.  Still very un-developed. My family had property up there so I got to spend a lot of time sailing/fishing/water-skiing etc up there in my early years.
  • The next two are taken at the jetty/wharf at Torea Bay in Queen Charlotte Sound - a quick drive over a steep hill from Keneperu Sound and 20mins by boat from the Picton Inter-Island Ferry wharf but a very long way to drive out to civilisation.
  • The last is taken in Christchurch outside the workshops of Autothority.  In the background you'll notice an RSR clone built by Autothority  which was recently written up in one of the English Porsche mags (can't remember which one) by Johnny Tippler.   A very impressive build indeed.

Photos not the best as taken with an ancient phone...

NZ_2018_1.jpg

NZ_2018_2.jpg

NZ_2018_3.jpg

NZ_2018_4.jpg

NZ_2018_5.jpg

@brian in buddinaPretty much.  914 had an argument with a bit of Tasmania a few years back and I haven't got around to fixing it yet.  I also have a '90 944 S2 tucked away in NZ for use when I bring the Turbo over here later this year...  I've had the S4 for 20 years or so which gets driven at least weekly - fettled by Buchanans since I've owned it.  The SC I've had for 5 yrs and is slowly getting refurbed - engine's next so I'm following others on the board who are making decisions on similar builds.

Mark

@brian in buddinaDifficult question but fwiw, here's my take:

• Freeway trip to say Melbourne - 928S4.  Eats kms, comfortable, great hvac, surprisingly good fuel consumption (typically between 10 and 11L/100km on the freeway which is where mine has spent its life in my hands).  Pushed hard, mine needs to be turned in quite early - the front end tends to float across the road a bit until it all takes a set then it's all sweet.  Maintenance can be eye-watering but it must be kept up.  I just had (another) AC rebuild and a transmission rebuild ?
  • Buzzing around the tight back roads where we live, early morning fangs, C&c, etc - 911.  Iconic looks, sound, great handling (particularly steering feel) if you know how to drive them and so on.  I've had five assorted tail draggers including a 930 and there really is nothing like them.  However, if you're a bit ham-fisted, there's a little gargoyle that resides in the back ready to mete out punishment!
  • 944 - I've only driven my '86 Turbo and '90 S2 (so can't comment on others) and they are quite different.  Linear is the word that comes to mind when I think of the S2 - i.e. good torque low down and revs easily to the red line whereas the Turbo is soft and lazy low down and needs a good prod to get going.  Handling wise, they have your back.  Turn in is superb and everything is so predictable.  You'd have to be a pretty poor driver or screw-up big time to get punished by these cars.
  • As a platform from which to build a road/track car, it's hard to beat the 944T.  It's not a huge stretch technically or financially to get a superb handling car with 400hp and good brakes that's still good on the road.  I don't think you could do it with a NA AC car - the engine alone would be near a 6 figure ask!
  • If someone (say my wife for example ?) said you can keep only one car from this motley bunch, it'd probably be the S2 - just such a well rounded car.  The problem is that until or unless Fletcher gets off his arse and changes the legislation, it's stuck in NZ.  Which, when I think about it is not all bad - there's some good driving to be had over there...

3 minutes ago, Buchanan Automotive said:

Got the old girl running yesterday. 1986 928. Full nut bolt restoration. Its been an afterwork or weekend project for the last few years.

Sean

Any more pics Sean? My fav 928 model!

A few from my iPhone, we will take plenty of detailed photos when its complete. Im almost sure i have shared a few of these here before. Cleaning the underbody was a huge task as it was just covered in oil and road grime from its years as a daily. After we are done here we are going to get a few scratches fixed up and then it will become a daily driver again.

DSC_0033IMG_3649

DSC_0830

DSC_0080

IMG_8854

IMG_8855

IMG_8859

This one is Bruce's. He has owned it since around 2006. Previous customers car, its got about 270k on the clock but the interior (black) is absolutely mint. Now the mechanicals are probably better then new. next up we will fix up a few scratches and she will be a daily driver again

Regards

Sean

Amazing looking example Sean. How many hours do you think you’ve put into it to get it to this point? That engine bay is a work of art!

I bet Bruce will take the long way home each day. :D