Show us your front engined Pcar beauty, it must be something you own or owned.

TINGY

14 hours ago, OzJustin said:

Amazing looking example Sean. How many hours do you think you’ve put into it to get it to this point? That engine bay is a work of art!

I bet Bruce will take the long way home each day. :D 

i really don't know, its been in the works for quite a few years. few hours after work every week and we usually get some time after 2pm on Saturdays for a few hours. Maybe 400hrs. Its probably better under the car then up top. We should strap it to our roof at work as art. Let me see if i can find some more pictures,

On 6/5/2018 at 7:10 PM, bumble said:

@brian in buddinaDifficult question but fwiw, here's my take:

• Maintenance can be eye-watering but it must be kept up.  I just had (another) AC rebuild and a transmission rebuild .
  • If someone (say my wife for example ?) said you can keep only one car from this motley bunch, it'd probably be the S2 - just such a well rounded car.  

Great write up Bumble,

God I wish I had the guts/ wallet/ know how to own a nice 928.  They are just the business.  I'm just scared of them.  Given the ongoing work I've done on my S2 I shudder at the thought of a 928 if I can't confidently do the work myself.

Also great to hear someone singing the praises of the 944S2.  Unarguably the King of the Porsche fold!!  Anyone that owns one is truly a visionary (I may be a tad biased here).

Sean & Bruce's 928 looks amazing.

6 minutes ago, Jason E said:

Great write up Bumble,

God I wish I had the guts/ wallet/ know how to own a nice 928.  They are just the business.  I'm just scared of them.  Given the ongoing work I've done on my S2 I shudder at the thought of a 928 if I can't confidently do the work myself.

Also great to hear someone singing the praises of the 944S2.  Unarguably the King of the Porsche fold!!  Anyone that owns one is truly a visionary (I may be a tad biased here).

Sean & Bruce's 928 looks amazing.

Once upon a time I would have countered these claims of 928s being super expensive to own and maintain (they can be but then again so can a Camry! and as you have seen Jason so can a 944 - I bet you have spent way more on your 944 than I have on my 928), but no I cannot be bothered anymore as I am clearly fighting a losing battle...... It seems the automotive world has made it's decision on the 928 and so be it.

I will quietly enjoy my 928 in bliss :)

25 minutes ago, ANF said:

Once upon a time I would have countered these claims of 928s being super expensive to own and maintain (they can be but then again so can a Camry! and as you have seen Jason so can a 944 - I bet you have spent way more on your 944 than I have on my 928), but no I cannot be bothered anymore as I am clearly fighting a losing battle...... It seems the automotive world has made it's decision on the 928 and so be it.

I will quietly enjoy my 928 in bliss :)

I am generalizing to an extent Adam, ANY Porsche that has had it's maintenance neglected will be expensive to bring back.   If a person was lucky enough to buy (for a reasonable price) a 928 that had been well cared for then I am sure it would be the same running costs as any other well cared for Pcar.  I did buy my S2 in pretty neglected condition (very cheaply by the standard at the time) so have spent probably what it would have cost to buy a good one straight up.  I have enjoyed the process of hunting for gear & the actual (guided) repairs so I suppose you can't put a price on that.  If I didn't have a mortgage & a hungry child i'd probably have that 928?

50 minutes ago, Jason E said:

I am generalizing to an extent Adam, ANY Porsche that has had it's maintenance neglected will be expensive to bring back.   If a person was lucky enough to buy (for a reasonable price) a 928 that had been well cared for then I am sure it would be the same running costs as any other well cared for Pcar.  I did buy my S2 in pretty neglected condition (very cheaply by the standard at the time) so have spent probably what it would have cost to buy a good one straight up.  I have enjoyed the process of hunting for gear & the actual (guided) repairs so I suppose you can't put a price on that.  If I didn't have a mortgage & a hungry child i'd probably have that 928?

Sorry I have deleted my post....

There are 2 types of Porsche people. One will walk into a crowded display of Porsches of all types and be drawn to what I call the "hero" cars - 911s and the like, this person will not dismiss the 928 (or any of it's brethren) but will not give it much attention.

The other will be drawn to the 928 forgoing all the others, I am that person. If you want one you will get one, simple really. If you are making excuses as to why you should not buy one, then you don't REALLY want one...

Simples! :)

@Jason E@ANFI wouldn't be too put off by putative 928 maintenance costs.  Most maintenance you could do yourself.  Most parts are available.  Bruce, Sean and others on this board are generous with their time and knowledge so help is at hand if things get sticky.  Remember that the 928 was probably the last of the cost no object hand-built Porsches.  Even the 993 started to exhibit cost compromises which, while making it cheaper to assemble, make it more difficult for an amateur to fix.  Bottom line is that whilst the 928 is complex in some ways, it's still fixable by an amateur with reasonable skills and resources.  Most years, I budget between $1000 to $2000.  Some years it can be more like $5000 or so, especially if a cam belt change is needed.  Occasionally things conspire to form a perfect storm, like last year when I had to get an AC AND a transmission rebuild together - but that's rare.  

And yes, to address Adam's slightly aggrieved stand point, if they were more highly prized, we might not be able to afford one of the world's greatest GT cars - the sword has two edges...

On a different but related subject, I subscribe to a site called EngineLabs which is normally about advanced developments in Yank-based engine tech,  This week however, something a bit different:

http://www.enginelabs.com/news/900-horsepower-from-a-supercharged-30-year-old-porsche-928-engine

Perhaps the next project for Bruce and Sean when they retire the 944T?

enjoy

Mark

4 minutes ago, bumble said:

@Jason E@ANFI wouldn't be too put off by putative 928 maintenance costs.  Most maintenance you could do yourself.  Most parts are available.  Bruce, Sean and others on this board are generous with their time and knowledge so help is at hand if things get sticky.  Remember that the 928 was probably the last of the cost no object hand-built Porsches.  Even the 993 started to exhibit cost compromises which, while making it cheaper to assemble, make it more difficult for an amateur to fix.  Bottom line is that whilst the 928 is complex in some ways, it's still fixable by an amateur with reasonable skills and resources.  Most years, I budget between $1000 to $2000.  Some years it can be more like $5000 or so, especially if a cam belt change is needed.  Occasionally things conspire to form a perfect storm, like last year when I had to get an AC AND a transmission rebuild together - but that's rare.  

And yes, to address Adam's slightly aggrieved stand point, if they were more highly prized, we might not be able to afford one of the world's greatest GT cars - the sword has two edges...

On a different but related subject, I subscribe to a site called EngineLabs which is normally about advanced developments in Yank-based engine tech,  This week however, something a bit different:

http://www.enginelabs.com/news/900-horsepower-from-a-supercharged-30-year-old-porsche-928-engine

Perhaps the next project for Bruce and Sean when they retire the 944T?

enjoy

Mark

I am not put off, I am neck deep in my own 928, which I can maintain and repair relatively cheaply :)

I only yesterday posted  a vid of that engine to a FB page... monstrous thing it is!! I know of a couple of guys building 7.0 litre beasts!

33 minutes ago, ANF said:

I am not put off, I am neck deep in my own 928, which I can maintain and repair relatively cheaply :)

I only yesterday posted  a vid of that engine to a FB page... monstrous thing it is!! I know of a couple of guys building 7.0 litre beasts!

Have very much enjoyed watching their vids https://928motorsports.com/othervideos.php

4 minutes ago, Jason E said:

Great, know i'm looking at 928s on carsales again.  There goes the rest if the arvo............................

@KGB posted about one that would suit you in the 928 for sale thread today... ?

4 hours ago, ANF said:

@KGB posted about one that would suit you in the 928 for sale thread today... ?

Have never considered a 928 in the past & picked up mine as it was local, blah blah but most definitely a track pig......& so now I find myself looking at minty version & convincing myself that I 'need' one...

17 minutes ago, Gavin (CliffToCoast) said:

Have never considered a 928 in the past & picked up mine as it was local, blah blah but most definitely a track pig......& so now I find myself looking at minty version & convincing myself that I 'need' one...

A hidden gem amongst porsche cars. 

3 hours ago, Gavin (CliffToCoast) said:

You do.

19 hours ago, Jason E said:

One can't live without lungs Adam & I'd need to sell both to b able to afford it......................

It is nice though.

Just sell 1 kidney and a piece of your liver, i know some shady characters that could organise it:o

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, michel said:

Been following this since it first surfaced a couple years ago 

looking for  turbo motor box brakes and exhaust. to install 

antyone got any leads?

1E76564F-8BCC-4DB2-9628-78CD0B5E5D1A.jpe

EA6A8EE2-69C3-4ABE-9BD9-AD37061D5598.jpe

0DCB8699-87FD-4882-9965-806A0807A7B8.jpe

Paul Bellamy in Sydney is doing something similar & may have some parts/ leads that you could use.  He sells a lot of kit on Gumtree. 

45 minutes ago, Jason E said:

Paul Bellamy in Sydney is doing something similar & may have some parts/ leads that you could use.  He sells a lot of kit on Gumtree. 

We have been in discussion over many months 

On 6/17/2018 at 12:06 AM, brian in buddina said:

Michel

Is your front bumper fibreglass or polyurethene? I like that look.

No motor in there or just a 924 non turbo car?

Brian

As per my sad request ... N/A needs a turbo whistler 

this thing was built at a cost of. close to 20k in 1988-89. Why they didn’t do it on a T platform or modded the motor back then... ahhh what was a Bondi hipster  called back then.. surely someone here would know 

20 minutes ago, michel said:

ahhh what was a Bondi hipster  called back then.. surely someone here would know 

It was a blue collar area.  I could be wrong , but a drop kick (and punt) was a term of reference to certain types who stuck their snouts in.