Show us your front engined Pcar beauty, it must be something you own or owned.

TINGY

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, floorprawn said:

Hi guys, figured I may as well join in on this thread after a whole bunch of lurking around here.

This is my '84 - I'm only the second owner, but it's still been a massive job getting back on top of years of neglect, no surprises there really ?

rPHj12c.jpg

Looks great you’ve done a great job.

5 hours ago, floorprawn said:

Hi guys, figured I may as well join in on this thread after a whole bunch of lurking around here.

This is my '84 - I'm only the second owner, but it's still been a massive job getting back on top of years of neglect, no surprises there really ?

rPHj12c.jpg

Welcome to the forum and your very nice 944. Look forward to some more pics and information on your car.

Cheers and well done.☝

Great looking car, welcome, and even the well looked after ones can cost a sum, it just depends on when you choose or end up having to spend that cash.

Hope to see this car on the flesh one day. The great thing is these car are now starting to see the love they deserve.

Well done.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just back from several days driving in Otago NZ.  Some of the best driving ever.  Latched onto the tail of a 996 Turbo and a newish 991 on a PCNZ club run.  The 944T went surprisingly well and did not disgrace itself in any way.

The red 944T is an original high-spec  '86 model UK delivered but in NZ since 1990.  AC, black interior, sports leather seats sunroof etc with 150K on the clock.  Intention is to run the asbestos gauntlet and bring over to OZ at some point.

The other is a 1990 S2, Zyclam, linen interior.  Japan delivered RHD, no sunroof.  One NZ owner for 15yrs who got ill and can't drive it anymore.  130K on the clock and very tight.

2x944s.jpg

Indeed.  Japan is a bit of an enigma to me.  An RHD country where many prefer to order LHD cars.  Go figure!.  Would be interesting to know what the rules and regs surrounding this are.  And I haven't seen many 944s sans sunroof either.  Anyway, it's good enough to put the work in to make it concours quality I think.  Zyclam quite rare but a bastard to keep clean.  (Interestingly, the Zyclam one that was for sale here a while back lives just down the road from me - owned by the local garage owner).  Little in the way of a history file.  Belts etc. done in 2013 but little mileage since.  In NZ a car needs a comprehensive inspection (Warrant OF Fitness similar to a UK MOT I guess) every 6 months and mileage is on the public record (and whether it passed or failed) so it's more difficult to fudge a car's history than here.

The Turbo, whilst original, was just at the point where unless saved by someone, could easily have tipped over into the shitter category.  I have spent quite a bit bringing it up to snuff.  Major things like belts/water pump, engine mounts, AC (AWOL condenser!), heating system,  some instruments not working etc.  A number of cosmetic things like light lenses, broken plastic bits in the cabin and so on.  It had quite an extensive history file from both UK and NZ.  No sign of rust and no apparent accident damage other than some minor dings which I've had repaired.  I still have a long list of annoying things to fix - most here know the drill!  Car now feels tight and strong and I'm happy to take it to 6K on occasion.

1 hour ago, bumble said:

Indeed.  Japan is a bit of an enigma to me.  An RHD country where many prefer to order LHD cars.  Go figure!.  Would be interesting to know what the rules and regs surrounding this are.  And I haven't seen many 944s sans sunroof either.  Anyway, it's good enough to put the work in to make it concours quality I think.  Zyclam quite rare but a bastard to keep clean.  (Interestingly, the Zyclam one that was for sale here a while back lives just down the road from me - owned by the local garage owner).  Little in the way of a history file.  Belts etc. done in 2013 but little mileage since.  In NZ a car needs a comprehensive inspection (Warrant OF Fitness similar to a UK MOT I guess) every 6 months and mileage is on the public record (and whether it passed or failed) so it's more difficult to fudge a car's history than here.

The Turbo, whilst original, was just at the point where unless saved by someone, could easily have tipped over into the shitter category.  I have spent quite a bit bringing it up to snuff.  Major things like belts/water pump, engine mounts, AC (AWOL condenser!), heating system,  some instruments not working etc.  A number of cosmetic things like light lenses, broken plastic bits in the cabin and so on.  It had quite an extensive history file from both UK and NZ.  No sign of rust and no apparent accident damage other than some minor dings which I've had repaired.  I still have a long list of annoying things to fix - most here know the drill!  Car now feels tight and strong and I'm happy to take it to 6K on occasion.

My understanding is that it's quite ok in Japan to drive a LHD car & the reason this is done (even with new cars) is that it is more obviously 'European' and is thus more exclusive.  Seems weird but no less weird than many other things in Japan....

On 9/27/2018 at 1:44 PM, bumble said:

Just back from several days driving in Otago NZ.  Some of the best driving ever.  Latched onto the tail of a 996 Turbo and a newish 991 on a PCNZ club run.  The 944T went surprisingly well and did not disgrace itself in any way.

The red 944T is an original high-spec  '86 model UK delivered but in NZ since 1990.  AC, black interior, sports leather seats sunroof etc with 150K on the clock.  Intention is to run the asbestos gauntlet and bring over to OZ at some point.

The other is a 1990 S2, Zyclam, linen interior.  Japan delivered RHD, no sunroof.  One NZ owner for 15yrs who got ill and can't drive it anymore.  130K on the clock and very tight.

2x944s.jpg

That’s pretty colour MR bumble 

9 minutes ago, Port 911 said:

Adam, this is the car you are thinking of, we have talked about it before. Certainly is a great car.

Thought so! Paul is a fortunate fellow then! Still shits me that I had to miss out on this car.... but mine is pretty bloody good also (well except for the massive engine rebuild bill....)

On 10/8/2018 at 8:02 AM, Port 911 said:

Adam, this is the car you are thinking of, we have talked about it before. Certainly is a great car.

On 10/8/2018 at 8:12 AM, ANF said:

Thought so! Paul is a fortunate fellow then! Still shits me that I had to miss out on this car.... but mine is pretty bloody good also (well except for the massive engine rebuild bill....)

Thanks guys! They all need some TLC, then just good servicing, and drive em. Can't go wrong.

At the time I got it,  it was just through some major overhaul at Buchannans over $35K spent on it. It had everything from engine top end, cam gears, injectors and intake, electrics, headlights, seat motors, sunroof motor, body seals, fuel system, injectors, susp,  to auto trans, oil cooler, aircon and axles plus anything else that it needed in between. A lot of work. The seller was then in a personal position he needed to sell. It was a good buy at the price back then.

I've put a bit of money into it too over the past 4 years: 928 Motorsport Radiator and mounts, all new water hoses, accessory belts, pulleys, upgraded discs and pads, new steering rack and mounts, timing belt water pump, new air box & intake hoses, front grill, washer pumps, all sensors, new MAF, TPS relays and thermostat switches, window and wiper switches, sunroof seals, wheel bearings, trans service, shift lever,  anodised wheels, door latches and stops, exhaust, new cats, diff services, plugs and now front suspension rebuild underway.

Have to say it's been enjoyable every bit of the way, the feeling of the high torque 5.0 V8 and the sound it puts out is intoxicating.

38 minutes ago, PTINS said:

Thanks guys! They all need some TLC, then just good servicing, and drive em. Can't go wrong.

At the time I got it,  it was just through some major overhaul at Buchannans over $35K spent on it. It had everything from engine top end, cam gears, injectors and intake, electrics, headlights, seat motors, sunroof motor, body seals, fuel system, injectors, susp,  to auto trans, oil cooler, aircon and axles plus anything else that it needed in between. A lot of work. The seller was then in a personal position he needed to sell. It was a good buy at the price back then.

I've put a bit of money into it too over the past 4 years: 928 Motorsport Radiator and mounts, all new water hoses, accessory belts, pulleys, upgraded discs and pads, new steering rack and mounts, timing belt water pump, new air box & intake hoses, front grill, washer pumps, all sensors, new MAF, TPS relays and thermostat switches, window and wiper switches, sunroof seals, wheel bearings, trans service, shift lever,  anodised wheels, door latches and stops, exhaust, new cats, diff services, plugs and now front suspension rebuild underway.

Have to say it's been enjoyable every bit of the way, the feeling of the high torque 5.0 V8 and the sound it puts out is intoxicating.

Sounds like the experience of @Jason E

10 hours ago, PTINS said:

When I was looking to purchase (had it to y=the PPI stage when all shit hit the fan....) he had just spent $26k at Buchanans on it, Dec 2012. No doubt worth just a little more than the figure we agreed upon :D

Did you buy it from a guy called Ross?

I am quite happy with mine and love the colour! Yours sounds like mine an few "little" things to do along the way to keep you busy!!

On 10/10/2018 at 7:46 AM, ANF said:

When I was looking to purchase (had it to y=the PPI stage when all shit hit the fan....) he had just spent $26k at Buchanans on it, Dec 2012. No doubt worth just a little more than the figure we agreed upon :D

I am quite happy with mine and love the colour! Yours sounds like mine an few "little" things to do along the way to keep you busy!!

On 10/10/2018 at 7:46 AM, ANF said:

Yep Adam It was Ross. I got it in the April of 2013. He'd just spent another $10K on it with Bruce, and then dropped his selling price another 3K when I picked it up.

He actually had a lot of phone enquiries to buy it for Parts which he couldn't bring himself to sell it for, then I came with cash and a promise to look after it. Deal done.? It's great fun to work on and even better to drive. 

You've got a great car Adam, I dare say very similar in terms of value.

Hi,

Just bought this S2, and just joined the forum.

I"m based in Sydney east.

Anyone around here a little handy with rear torsion bar reindexing? Needs to come about 25mm lower. Spring plate adjustment won't be enough.

I'm sure this has come up a lot, but I'd prefer to pay someone privately than taking it to the shops, considering the ridiculous quotes I got.

forum pic2.jpg

Untitled.jpg

33 minutes ago, Sebastian 944 S2 said:

Hi,

Just bought this S2, and just joined the forum.

I"m based in Sydney east.

Anyone around here a little handy with rear torsion bar reindexing? Needs to come about 25mm lower. Spring plate adjustment won't be enough.

I'm sure this has come up a lot, but I'd prefer to pay someone privately than taking it to the shops, considering the ridiculous quotes I got.

forum pic2.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Did you try Buchanan's at Balgowlah?  They reindexed my Torsion bar.  Not cheap but a top quality job.

5 minutes ago, Jason E said:

Did you try Buchanan's at Balgowlah?  They reindexed my Torsion bar.  Not cheap but a top quality job.

Yes I did go and see them. They said it'll be a full day of labour without a guarantee of getting it right. If I'm correct that means 8 hours = approx 1000$.

Plus the springs for the front...I might as well save alitytle longer and go coiler for full adjustability.

How much did you pay for your job?