Track Tyres

Not to much in 19 inch around, i did run on my 997 GT3 a few different 19 inch tyres but then changed to 18 inch wheels (they are now with near new r spec tyres in the for sale section here )http://porscheforum.com.au/topic/9079-gt3-wheels-18-inch-9971/

1. Pilot sport cups were ok but not that good in the wet 

2. Pirelli P zero were good wet & dry 

I think the best in 19 inch are Dunlop SP sport maxx race but do cost a bit

I found the Michelin PS Cup2 to be way better in the wet and more durable than the original PS Cup. 

Options are limited in 19.  Dunlop Sport max Race, Michelin PS Cup2, Pirelli Corsa

Or a bit more racy Toyo R888

I second the Neova, these are considered by many as an "S" compound tyre, just short of an "R" compound semi slick like the Advan AO50 / Toyo Proxes R888, Pilot Cups etc

World Time Attack Clubsprint class runs the Neova and they have achieved some very impressive times on this tyre

But there are a few more things you should consider

I also suggest a 2nd set of wheels just for your track tyres, they will last longer this way, and as James has mentioned, I would go for 18" in wheel size...more choice of tyres

Also if you haven't been on a track before, I would do the regular checks for your car / seek advice from your local Porsche club motorsports captain etc, not all Porsches can take high g-forces for lap after lap on sticky tyres....check your models capability beforehand

Cheers

Robert

I run the Pilot Sport Cup 2's on my 07 GT3RS and have deliberately provoked them on a number of occasions in the wet and they stayed calm.  They're the ducks guts on track but take care on starting pressures (ask around) as too high cooks them and they'll tear themselves up.  On a very wet track, they'll be compromised but if you're keen and lean on them, they carry some temp and work OK but I'd suggest discretion is exercised and you ease into the pits and search for cover and a hot drink.

Otherwise, have fun finding out.  Nothing clears the head like an adrenaline rush.  You're in San Remo so the Island is calling you ...

Thinking about getting a set of road legal track tyres.  Any suggests?

I had Nitto NT01s that a lot of guys on Rennlist seem to use and found the m to be very good.  I've had R888s on various cars in the past and liked them too. But Peter Fitzgerald (who has a fair but more experience and talent than me!) advised that Yokohama A050 are the quickest tyre and most of his clients running GT3s etc use them.

I use the A050 for tarmac rally and they are excellent. Wide temperature range, warm up quickly and reasonable number of temperature cycles. But as far as I know you will need 18" rims. Along the same line is Hankook Z221 and Dunlop DZ03G. These are all genuine no compromise motorsport tyres. The cup2, sport maxx race, AD08 etc are more of a compromise but still trackable tyres.

I had Nitto NT01s that a lot of guys on Rennlist seem to use and found the m to be very good.  I've had R888s on various cars in the past and liked them too. But Peter Fitzgerald (who has a fair but more experience and talent than me!) advised that Yokohama A050 are the quickest tyre and most of his clients running GT3s etc use them.

Im one of the clients & have known the guys at Fitzys for 20 years, I used Yokohama A050 soft compound on my GT3 track car & set a few lap records with them but they are not available in 19 inch. The soft compound A050 is very quick tyre but you need to know what your doing... you only get 1 or 2 laps in a session & you can used a set in 1 or 2 days at the island.

If you go 18 inch & want an R spec tyre i would recommend in order the following tyres that i have used & have experience with.

1. Yokohama A050 medium compound (best all-round tyre)

2. Hankook Ventus TD Z221 medium compound  (can't tell much difference to the A050)

3. Nitto NT01 (cheap half the price of the 2 above & good for having fun on track days)

A second set of 18 inch wheels is best if your serious but if you just want to do a few track days find some decent 19 inch tyres as mentioned in the above posts.

Also don't forget brake pad compounds thats another story all together...

I use the A050 for tarmac rally and they are excellent. Wide temperature range, warm up quickly and reasonable number of temperature cycles. But as far as I know you will need 18" rims. Along the same line is Hankook Z221 and Dunlop DZ03G. These are all genuine no compromise motorsport tyres. The cup2, sport maxx race, AD08 etc are more of a compromise but still trackable tyres.

Agreed...

As other have mentioned the best track tyres come in 18's (A050's + Z221's).

However - if you don't want to go to 18's the new gun 19" tyre that's out is the Bridgestone RE-71R. I'm not 100% if there is anyone in Oz selling them yet but they are proving hugely popular in the US and are a great price through Tirerack. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE-71R

The local Bridgestone motorsports tyre dealer is trackside tyres http://tracksidetyres.com.au/ - it might be worth giving Craig a call and seeing if these are available locally yet. But I plan on buying some 19" wheels and fitting these to the GT4 later in the year (only because 18's don't clear the GT4 brakes). But they are step up from the current 19" options of Cup2, Sports Maxx Race and Trofeo R's from all reports.

Also don't forget brake pad compounds thats another story all together...

+1 on the pads. With better R tyres you will cook the standard pads. My experience with pads is you get what you pay for. If you do decide to upgrade pads I would recommend starting with Pagid RS19/29 and use them as a reference for anything else you want to try as there are a lot of good pads out there (and rubbish ones to).

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

I'm in the process of ordering BBS CH -R's in 18's for my 997 GT3 to use for track days. 

Consensus from what I've researched seems that wheels in 18 x 8.5 front and 18 x 11 back would fit most R spec tyre brands mentioned around the 245/295 or 305 size. 

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

I run a 9" front and 11" rear 18" dia rims and run the 050 in 235 front and 295 rear. (Widest they do) 

245 would be too wide for an 8.5" wide rim. Most manufacturers dia table of recommend rim widths for their tyres. 

Hey Teutonic, sounds like 9" and 11" is the way to go, and I like the idea of running 050's I've heard great things about them. Thank you!

• 1 month later...

I have also inched down to 18's to access better tyres. Running 9-inch and 11-inch. 235 and 295 Hankook Z221s.

EDIT : I've used A050s before and they are much of a muchness as previously stated but I find the construction of the Z221s to be stronger, you can very easily scallop an A050 with sloppy driving. Also FWIW before Yokohama bought the rights to World Time Attack the fastest cars in all three classes were running Hankook tyres.

Edited by Kammo

From some recent logging in a Tarmac Rally using 245/40 18. 050 Medium and Z221 C5 . The 050 takes about 1.5 minutes to reach 70% of its final surface temperature. The Z221 takes about 6 minutes.

The Z221 has more overall grip with the suspension settings I use and can peak at 1.3 G almost 0.1 more than the 050 but this could change with suspension setup. 

Rolling temps for both at a constant 80kph are 20 to 30C above ambient so 40 to 50C. Peak temps are over 100C in long fast corners with ambient around 25C

Just avoid the Z221 if it is wet as the 050 are way better. 

• 1 year later...

Bumping this older thread, as I have been talking recently about tyres. 

I have been running the Yoko A050's on an 18" wheel for a number of years now, but with the always improving tyre technology, I am wondering if anyone can comment on how these A050's would stack up to the latest Cup 2 or Trofeo R? 

I am going put some fresh rubber on the 19" street wheels of my 7.1, so I am curious if anyone knows just how close the comparison is, or if there is still a disparity? The local GT4 & 991 + crowd are running some impressive numbers these days, but I am not sure how much of this is attributed to aero and where applicable driver aids... so its hard to know if the tyres they run are a help or a hindrance (if they could get a 20" A050 for arguments sake) 

I think there's still a gap- not sure how big it actually is in practice as I haven't done a day out at ECR on them yet but have on the Cup 2s.  The flexibility of having a cup 2 that drives like a road tyre on the road without all the associated noise of an A050 is a massive plus in my view.