356 Engine Oil

Cal

I'm currently using Shell Helix 25w-60 in my 1600 standard motor, but thinking of a change to Penrite HPR30 20w-60 for convenience (I use it in the 911 motor). Does anyone have an opinion on the subject? Not on Shell vs Penrite, but rather the change in viscosity. 

Cal,

For historic reasons the SAE viscosity grades aren't particularly accurate when actually describing viscosity and you'll find the HPR30 to be a little thicker both hot and cold than Helix 25w-60.  However probably not enough for you to notice in practice and the HPR is a better higher spec oil in terms of the ACEA accreditations and will be more readily available than the Helix 25w-60. 

Give it a go I suggest as being able to buy Penrite in 20 litre drums is an attractive proposition when you are running two cars using the same oil.

Have you ever tried 15w-40 in both cars?   That's probably what I would be looking at, but I'm not you! 

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've always used Penrite in any car or bike I've owned. Never had any drama's. I have Valvoline in the 911 now, and will be changing to Penrite mineral when I get a full service done. Support Straya'n companies maaaate!

I've always used Penrite in any car or bike I've owned. Never had any drama's. I have Valvoline in the 911 now, and will be changing to Penrite mineral when I get a full service done. Support Straya'n companies maaaate!

Switching won't be a problem ?   I've read too much about degredation of seals when changin engine types and brands ??

Been reliably told it's fine mate, as long as it's the same weight is used (eg 20w 50 etc) 

I'd speak to someone that actually knows, and not listen to a shop that is trying to sell their product etc, or a numpty like me

Don at DHM swears by Liqui-Moly.  I got a couple of 10 litre containers from him for the 911.  Seems a good product.  Staying with the Penrite for the 356 due to its ultra high zinc content.  I did also use the (below) self-levelling Penrite grease for the steering box on the 356 as the seals on almost all of them leak if you use regular 80 weight gear oil. Also regular grease just spins away from the meshing parts, where as the Penrite, self-levelling grease stays put and doesn't liquify and run out of the seals.  Very impressed with this product.

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products.php?&id_products=90  

Archived