Definitive steering wheel thread

michel

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I am about to buy a new (s/h) wheel for my car and have one question which I thought might work on this thread.

I am looking at a Momo V35 which seems pretty well flat like the OEM wheel. It comes with a Momo hub. So my question is will this wheel be the same distance to the driver or a little closer, because the hub looks as if it might be longer than a Porsche one. Ideally i do want the wheel to be a little closer, but maybe not as much as one of the big dished ones.

These statements of individuality worry me so much but every time I see an older car with the obligatory stripped out RS interior and door cars with a Prototipo, after an initial short euphoria moment, I then start wondering how to do the same thing, but different. Can deviant behavior like this ever be acceptable or should I spend the money I have for these individual statements on therapy?

• 2 weeks later...

A nice montage of wheels that I am considering for my 928....

steering_zpsowuaqow0.png

there are others but this is a good starting point :P

Anyone got any of these that they want to part with, or something along the same lines, please let me know :)

I love the prototipo look. But how do people find the size of it? Is it a real pain in the ass to see gauges etc? What is a better alternative in a similar style (maybe 390mm??).

I love the prototipo look. But how do people find the size of it? Is it a real pain in the ass to see gauges etc? What is a better alternative in a similar style (maybe 390mm??).

350mm can be annoying with the gauge view, 370 is the sweet spot I think, I have 400 and 420 wheels and they are cumbersome.

Anyone got any of these that they want to part with, or something along the same lines, please let me know :)

I just gave away a #1:rolleyes:

#2 the Corse and #6 the Racing line come up fairly often on Forums and eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Momo-D35-Racing-Line-steering-wheel-Genuine-350mm-Porsche-BMW-Alfa-Romeo-Lotus-/162106531806?hash=item25be4d5fde:g:spMAAOSwNuxXYrkN

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genuine-Momo-CORSE-steering-wheel-Leather-/252503047543?hash=item3aca5abd77:g:-eMAAOSwZVlXqpzN

I've just sold my prototipo as in my view 350mm is too small.  For me the steering was too heavy, and the blocking of the gauges I found really annoying.  Surely a high point of these cars is gazing upon that classic tacho and instruments.  Yes I used an iPhone speedo app on a dash mount but that's not the point (I still use it as the gauges are unreadable at night).  I've gone 380mm which is the original size and love it.  It's hard to find wheels that are not 350mm though I'll warn you of that.  I had to go for a suede wheel, with dish (which suits me well), and a yellow marker.  I'd much prefer the look of the proto but it detracted from the drive so had to go.  My 2c.

What!! That would be my number 1 choice....!! Yeah seen plenty on ebay, thought I would try here as well.

For sale.

4A755756-0812-4B57-81E1-6AB6950081BE_zps

Hmmm, let me ponder that one, do you have the horn as well? What diameter is it? Looking for 350 or 360mm.

Cheers

MotoLita on the Cooper S

DSC_0743_zpso0dbtiq2.jpg

I was wondering what brand that was... Thanks. I love that style. Here's the one that captured my eye but I didn't know the name. 

Does anyone know if you can buy here in oz?

image_zpsghvkpdu6.png

Archived