Definitive steering wheel thread

michel

HELP!!!

I bought a boss for my new wheel and I have problems with it as it doesn't fit. It is an "Autotecnica" boss and it is advertised for an SC. According to the Porsche catalogue I have, the SC and the 3.2 have the same steering shaft part number and the same switch housing (which the wheel butts up against). The Momo boss part number is the same for the SC and 3.2, although I note from a post above, somebody has had issues with an SC hub not fitting a 3.2. The issues I have are 2 fold. First, the spline is as tight as anything - I haven't forced the boss on because while I suspect it will go, I am not sure I will get it off again! The other problem is that the end that meets the housing is a noticeably smaller diameter than the size of the "hole" it is meant to cover. I am right to expect the boss to cover that hole in the housing? Can anybody advise me on this, because the seller is being a bit difficult and I want to know whether i have screwed up or whether they have sent the wrong part.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HELP!!!

I bought a boss for my new wheel and I have problems with it as it doesn't fit. It is an "Autotecnica" boss and it is advertised for an SC. According to the Porsche catalogue I have, the SC and the 3.2 have the same steering shaft part number and the same switch housing (which the wheel butts up against). The Momo boss part number is the same for the SC and 3.2, although I note from a post above, somebody has had issues with an SC hub not fitting a 3.2. The issues I have are 2 fold. First, the spline is as tight as anything - I haven't forced the boss on because while I suspect it will go, I am not sure I will get it off again! The other problem is that the end that meets the housing is a noticeably smaller diameter than the size of the "hole" it is meant to cover. I am right to expect the boss to cover that hole in the housing? Can anybody advise me on this, because the seller is being a bit difficult and I want to know whether i have screwed up or whether they have sent the wrong part.

hey simon, send P-Kay a message.. Sounds like a similar problem when he bought my momo wheel  from my 3.2 and couldn't connect to his SC,...?

That's correct.

@SimonN - The boss looked like it would cover the steering cowl (hard to confirm 100% without fitment), however the splines were not going to fit at all. I expected the boss teeth to be tapered, but not to that degree. It barely grabbed/sat on the teeth. Hard to explain, but it felt like I could just feel the initial alignment, but there was definitely no way without extreme force to sit the boss onto the shaft.

• 4 weeks later...

So I have finally sorted out my boss issues and have the Proto fitted. I have a black and white, standard issue momo horn push fitted (pictures to follow), but have just seen the following and wondered what people thing

s-l500.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

It's embossed leather and fits into the standard momo horn push. It costs about $70 delivered. So, yes or no. 

@SimonN NO,

I purchased one and they don't fit into the Momo horn button, if you look at the top pic that is an alloy base the leather is attached too. That alloy base is too fat and the horn sticks on. Tried to file it down, no luck.

Even tried to peel the leather off the base and cover the Momo standard button in leather, you need not see the results. :blink:

Don't waste your $70 mate.

@simonN - I had exactly the same issue with an Autotechnica boss I bought for my SC. Rather than force the boss onto the spline at the risk of not being able to get it off again, I opted to purchase a momo boss instead which fitted onto the spline far more easily.

Thanks Fraz. The idea looks great and I can see why you went for it. So disappointing. :(

So I have finally sorted out my boss issues and have the Proto fitted. I have a black and white, standard issue momo horn push fitted (pictures to follow), but have just seen the following and wondered what people thing

s-l500.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

It's embossed leather and fits into the standard momo horn push. It costs about $70 delivered. So, yes or no. 

Simon this unit been made and sold by a guy in the states? On PPF?

He's in Mexico.

Mine looks good. Fixed it off with double sided tape over the original horn button. Not a 100% resolved solution but so much better than the alternative. I have a spare (got lost in post and he sent another, first one turned up). I'll keep it but happy to share / show / assist if you want to see how it might work for you. Seems like a nice genuine guy and IMHO the item is well made.

Crap photo in the dark below.

ACFC1B3F-EBB7-40C3-82A6-CB6FDC3EC636_zps

• 3 weeks later...

I've got this from a 72 I'm possibly restoring soon. Would sir like it trimmed in leather or Alcantara? Won't be cheap, yet it won't be a grand US. No horn puck either. (Not for sale as it is)  

20161223_110651_1.jpg

I'll be replacing this restored 3 spoke Porsche wheel

20170107_145737_zpsnyvuwhc2.jpg

with this late 70's 350mm SAAS GT one.  I like the style of the Momo Prototypo, but I don't like the white stitching.  This one has red stitching. Just have to get a boss for it.  6 on 74 PCD.

IMG_20170107_124916_147_zpsakwkedrn.jpg

And no, the Porsche wheel isn't for sale.

And since we're not restricting this to Porsche's only, here's the view from the driver's seat of my Megane RS.  I think it's 32mm diameter, and quite thick.  Also has little resting areas for your thumb drumsticks.  Very nice wheel to drive with.

20170107_163057_zpsie82kk6a.jpg

I think those are a little steeply priced, but good luck to him.

Here are a couple of early Momo horn buttons.  On the left is a large crest button from the 1960's, on the right is a 1970's horn button.  Compared to a new horn button, these have a smooth, glossy, outer bezel instead of a textured matt bezel.  The 1960's horn button has a metal inner bezel, and both emblems were hand painted at the Momo factory (can't imagine them doing that today!).

Momo_Porsche_Horn_Buttons.jpg

Hand_Painted_Momo.jpg

Momo horn buttons on eBay Australia, no affiliation. Wow, these things are getting up there.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genuine-Momo-Porsche-Horn-Button-/252722092536?hash=item3ad76919f8:g:FS4AAOSwopRYd~YE

s-l1600.jpg 

WTF???  $185!! I paid about $50 for mine.... There's p-tax, then there's FSA-tax (friggen scam artist)... ! ?

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up buying a Magnus Walker wheeel for the 914,   fitted to a solid boss.

As much as my 914 wheel was in mint condition,  i wanted something a bit sportier ( less bus like )

It's padded and wrapped a bit thicker than normal,  and feels quite good to use.

AF1QipM3SMZTRbS3mFVKh0WRjGO8vcyYsmAt6tqT

12814802_10153936500064253_2543302400344

• 1 month later...

These are my Momo Prototipo wheels.

The ones on the left are 350mm Clay Regazzoni signature wheels, on the right are "normal" Prototipos, but in 370mm. The 370mm wheels give a better view of the speedo; especially handy in Victoria, the nanny state.

Prototipos.jpg

Archived