Hi All

Trying to get an idea on what kind of money to pay for a 944 non turbo, I have seen some for sale, the ones around 10 - 12k seem to sell, but getting above 14k they just seem to sit there.

I have found a one owner, paint is good, inertia is good, it has service history, new clutch, traveled around 227000k, its an Oz delivered car. It has Sunroof & a/c, think the ac may need attentions. the guy paid 16k & then put in a clutch with intentions to keep the car. His situation has changed & is looking to sell the car for $18500.

Looking for a little feedback

IMG_0832_zpsxznnqx2w.jpg

Hi All

Trying to get an idea on what kind of money to pay for a 944 non turbo, I have seen some for sale, the ones around 10 - 12k seem to sell, but getting above 14k they just seem to sit there.

I have found a one owner, paint is good, inertia is good, it has service history, new clutch, traveled around 227000k, its an Oz delivered car. It has Sunroof & a/c, think the ac may need attentions. the guy paid 16k & then put in a clutch with intentions to keep the car. His situation has changed & is looking to sell the car for $18500.

Looking for a little feedback

IMG_0832_zpsxznnqx2w.jpg

I have been watching this market for a little while & I reckon you're right in that the 10/12k cars seem to sell (but they always have issues that need dollars spent don't they!!)  They always are a little shabby inside or have some electrical problems etc, etc.  To my mind a one owner in really good condition 18.5k is a pretty reasonable ask.  (it's up there though & you'd want it to be in GREAT nick for the money.)  Offer him 17.5 cash & shake his hand. (if you don't please let me know & i'll give him a call- seriously- why can I never find these cars?).

good luck-you lucky bugger. 

Thanks for the feedback, he did point out the things wrong with it, all little small things, & he already has the parts, said he will fix them before I pick it up, don't know if I can get him down much, maybe worth paying the money & shake hands on good terms if he fixes the few things wrong with it. 

Hi All

IMG_0832_zpsxznnqx2w.jpg

That's some serious money for a n/a car, it would have to be almost perfect and if it's got A/C dramas that's upwards of a grand to fix, ask me how i know.

You say a 1 owner then say someone paid $16k for it? Anyway looks quite good from the photo's and i guess it's worth what your prepared to pay, personally i would want everything done very recently to pay that money, including belts and waterpump, just my opinion.

That's some serious money for a n/a car, it would have to be almost perfect and if it's got A/C dramas that's upwards of a grand to fix, ask me how i know.

You say a 1 owner then say someone paid $16k for it? Anyway looks quite good from the photo's and i guess it's worth what your prepared to pay, personally i would want everything done very recently to pay that money, including belts and waterpump, just my opinion.

Hi Stehen

Ok he purchased the car, from the original owner, & now has to sell the car, so I would be the third owner (car is still in the first owners name), clutch has only just been done, I do think he paid to much for the car, then spent 3k plus on the clutch, trying to clarify when the belts were done last.

How much did you pay for your new turbo, it looks great.

, then spent 3k plus on the clutch, trying to clarify when the belts were done last.

Belt , quality waterpump , rollers , make sure there are no oil leaks , factor in cost to retension belt (2 hours labour for some) Could be another 1500. I trust the gearbox is silky smooth after 227km of sports car driving. Top money  , he paid. But perhaps they are soaring up?

There is one in SA 1986 UK import with 200,000k on it that I could get for $9500, sun roof, no a/c, non turbo car. the guy has had it for around five years, & his wife wants the garage back.  

001_zpscwrdwbmh.jpg

Belt , quality waterpump , rollers , make sure there are no oil leaks , factor in cost to retension belt (2 hours labour for some) Could be another 1500. I trust the gearbox is silky smooth after 227km of sports car driving. Top money  , he paid. But perhaps they are soaring up?

Belts were done in 2014, its only done about 5k sins belts were done. I drove it on the weekend, shifts nicely. but last manual I drove was a tractor. 

There is one in SA 1986 UK import with 200,000k on it that I could get for $9500, sun roof, no a/c, non turbo car. the guy has had it for around five years, & his wife wants the garage back.  

001_zpscwrdwbmh.jpg

Ooh! I walk my dog past that place, give me a hoy if you need it inspected, I am familiar with 944/968 vehicles.

I talked to the dealer that the red 944S2 was at, a guy put a deposit on it on the weekend, & was in today to finalize the sale. Dont know what he paid they would not say.  

Ooh! I walk my dog past that place, give me a hoy if you need it inspected, I am familiar with 944/968 vehicles.

If I was to purchase this one, I will 8k in my pocket to through at it, if needed. 

the outcome of this '85 auction may provide another point on the curve for you as to where the market is at for pre ovals:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PORSCHE-944-MANUAL-AUSTRALIAN-DELIVERED-ORIGINAL-928-911-924-Audi-BMW-NIssanFord-/222154931576?hash=item33b9773d78:g:gxQAAOSwvg9XYk-v

This one is on carsales for 14500, it was for sale some 6 month ago & could not sell it then, its not an oval dash though.

http://www.carsales.com.au/gallery/SSE-AD-3504933/Image?index=0&wt.z_driver=

I talked to the dealer that the red 944S2 was at, a guy put a deposit on it on the weekend, & was in today to finalize the sale. Dont know what he paid they would not say.  

If I was to purchase this one, I will 8k in my pocket to through at it, if needed. 

This one is on carsales for 14500, it was for sale some 6 month ago & could not sell it then, its not an oval dash though.

I seem to recall this one has been for sale for a long, long time...........

This one if i recall correctly was on for the princely sum of $19.500, so it must be a better car than the one your looking at, not oval dash though.

This 944 market is very fussy it seems and when a S2 or a good turbo comes up they disappear in a hurry, for good reason too as they are the ones that most people want in the garage, the pre '86 seem to sit a lot longer unless they are a very good example.

I wondered what happened, I was going to sneak in for a look this week but I was too slow obviously!

I wondered what happened, I was going to sneak in for a look this week but I was too slow obviously!

Hmm, me too. I usually work about 2min walk from CTS but couldn't get there until tomorrow - called them on Friday for more info. Apparently was in all-original condition, no indication of any top-end work or replacement items, such as clutch or belts. Seemed to me like a steep asking price ($36k) for a car with potentially a bit needing to be done. But it was red.  I might wander in tomorrow and see if I can find out more about the sale price.

This one if i recall correctly was on for the princely sum of $19.500, so it must be a better car than the one your looking at, not oval dash though.

This 944 market is very fussy it seems and when a S2 or a good turbo comes up they disappear in a hurry, for good reason too as they are the ones that most people want in the garage, the pre '86 seem to sit a lot longer unless they are a very good example.

educate me why pre 86 is undesired?  Can't be just the shape of the dash?