educate me why pre 86 is undesired?  Can't be just the shape of the dash?

A lot of the pre-'86 models came without power steering and although many of the US Porsche enthusiasts keep telling us how great the car is without PS, it really is a PITA and detracts from the driving pleasure at low speeds.  Also the A/C, on my previous one at least, was not very good in comparison with the later ones.  Late model wheels do not fit without spacers, but it should be said that the first of the oval dash cars also had "early offset" which was corrected in '87 with the introduction of ABS.

Taz,

Very interesting find and discussion of the 4 and 6 cylinder cars up to the mid 2000's in some of the other pdf's on the Hartech  website.  Barry Hart, the author and owner has a very solid engineering background and particularly found his comments about the M96 and 97 engines interesting and a refreshing change from the American "experts".

Taz,

Very interesting find and discussion of the 4 and 6 cylinder cars up to the mid 2000's in some of the other pdf's on the Hartech  website.  Barry Hart, the author and owner has a very solid engineering background and particularly found his comments about the M96 and 97 engines interesting and a refreshing change from the American "experts".

Yes indeed Peter , like most things forums are not necessarily the best way to find expert opinions. But I understand some people are too lazy to make the effort to form their own opinions based on real evidence. You can't beat a robust basic education these days!

Taz,

No love for the 928 though......

Adam,

I just think he was spreading himself thin with the 4's and 6's and has nothing left to give!

Being a 100% petrolhead I reckon he would love to delve into the intricacies of the 928 oiling system if he had the time...

Being a 100% petrolhead I reckon he would love to delve into the intricacies of the 928 oiling system if he had the time...

I don't think it's that intricate,  it just wasn't fully developed at places like Le Mans! It's all been reverse engineered and easily fixed if you're wanting to actually race these cars. Standard oiling should cope with motorkhana and pretty country curves quite well :)

Gee , a 928 cup series would be mighty fun.

Maybe Peter, but

"For all these reasons we are not great lovers of this car as they are expensive to maintain (as they age), heavy and thirsty and seem quite different to any other Porsche model that combines lightweight and performance."

says a lot...... does not appear to be based on any logic....

Edited by ANF

Maybe Peter, but

"For all these reasons we are not great lovers of this car as they are expensive to maintain (as they age), heavy and thirsty and seem quite different to any other Porsche model that combines lightweight and performance."

says a lot...... and appears to be based on personal opinion rather than fact...??

LOL!  Didn't see that! Let's just say the world is a better place because we have different likes and wants.

Edited by Peter M

Just coming back to 944s, for a moment, but has anyone here enquired about the white S2 on Carsales? There are a few things that put me off but they are mainly cosmetic. Bit of an arse to get to as well. Oh, and its white...

Looks quite good value, i wonder why it's still sitting there, the bum does look odd with the bits and bobs and the non centrallised no. plate, but i wouldn't let that put you off, it's only hard if your a long way away, MFX is down that way.

It may be white but it's the only one on there.

Looks quite good value, i wonder why it's still sitting there, the bum does look odd with the bits and bobs and the non centrallised no. plate, but i wouldn't let that put you off, it's only hard if your a long way away, MFX is down that way.

It may be white but it's the only one on there.

Yeah, its a pain to get to - though I'll be off to Canberra in a few weeks, so if its still hanging around then I'll stop by. Though I like the dark blue interior, the bit about it being white is still something to get past...

Yeah, its a pain to get to - though I'll be off to Canberra in a few weeks, so if its still hanging around then I'll stop by. Though I like the dark blue interior, the bit about it being white is still something to get past...

Yeah i'm hearing you on the colour, not my favorite either, limited choices though at the moment,  i may have found a project turbo as well,  waiting on an email for more details.

Agree re white (and silver) - doesn't show up the 944's characteristic shape, especially the hips and guards.

Stephen - a project 952?  Do tell?  Surely you wouldn't have anywhere to put it, while I have a spare spot on my hoist now...:ph34r:

Just coming back to 944s, for a moment, but has anyone here enquired about the white S2 on Carsales? There are a few things that put me off but they are mainly cosmetic. Bit of an arse to get to as well. Oh, and its white...

I did make some enquires about this white 944 S2, it was from WA, two guys purchased it to do a charity drive in, there is a write up about it in one of the NSWPC mags.

They drove it from WA to Newcastle, next day it would not start, it found its way to Autoworks, after some amount of $ is was back running. If you have a close look at the photos you can see the panel gapes are all over the place, as it has been in a front ender & not repaired correctly. I was looking to purchace this car but after inspection walked away.