5 hours ago, TINGY944 said:

Someone has spent a bucket load and wants part of it back..........

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-944-1986/SSE-AD-5213689/?Cr=3

1986 Porsche 944 Manual

Yes - looks like an S2/Turbo, but 2.5 NA underneath.  Probably a lovely car, but about $20K over unless a wood-duck comes along...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all - would some one please be able to tell me the going rate (market value) for a 944 with about 230k on the clock (rebuilt motor with receipts) - 1984/85 model.   Assumptions  - all straight, great paint, great interior - no issues, regularly serviced, books, manuals etc.

23 minutes ago, hepkat63 said:

Hey all - would some one please be able to tell me the going rate (market value) for a 944 with about 230k on the clock (rebuilt motor with receipts) - 1984/85 model.   Assumptions  - all straight, great paint, great interior - no issues, regularly serviced, books, manuals etc.

Need a bit more info ....

Auto / manual

Aust. delivered / import

Are you buying or selling ...

Also, you say 84 /85 .... the facelift came in mid 85 .... is it the round dash model or the oval dash one .... makes a big difference.

5 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

Need a bit more info ....

Auto / manual

Aust. delivered / import

Are you buying or selling ...

Also, you say 84 /85 .... the facelift came in mid 85 .... is it the round dash model or the oval dash one .... makes a big difference.

thank you for the reply.  1984 model I believe - manual, aust delivered,  buying.

If it has a strong history and you don't need to do work.. my gut is $18-25k.  

Based on series one 944 are less sought after due to interior. 230k km is quite a few kms if it hasn't had engine rebuilt etc.

If the car's needs interior or exterior work I would drift my estimate lower.

Note:- I only lightly follow 944 market so good chance I'm wrong.

I think @bear924 is a bit optimistic with his pricing .... nice guy, but ...... :Chuckle2:

If it was an oval dash model (which it's not) and it was in great condition then $15k - $20k .....

As a pre model then probably $10k - $15k .... with a rebuilt engine, it could be on the mid to higher side. Lots of variables.

The first series aren't as wanted as the later ones, but all the 944's saw a rise in price. The later ones are harder to get hold of and that saw buyers get anything they could.

They are a fun car to drive and own ... a real nostalgic machine and either version is worth owning just for the cool factor alone .....

12 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

I think @bear924 is a bit optimistic with his pricing .... nice guy, but ...... :Chuckle2:

If it was an oval dash model (which it's not) and it was in great condition then $15k - $20k .....

As a pre model then probably $10k - $15k .... with a rebuilt engine, it could be on the mid to higher side. Lots of variables.

The first series aren't as wanted as the later ones, but all the 944's saw a rise in price. The later ones are harder to get hold of and that saw buyers get anything they could.

They are a fun car to drive and own ... a real nostalgic machine and either version is worth owning just for the cool factor alone .....

Hepkat63,

What I don't know about the mechanicals of the 944 could fill the old Encyclopedia Britannica ........what I do know about the 944 is how to hemorrhage a greater amount of money into one than the GDP of Liberia...............

I would have to go with Dreamer here.  Lets work backwards.  A reasonably well kept (post update) late model turbo or S2 will fetch the most & currently seems to be actually selling very late 20's to 30's with very good cars fetching anything up to 10k more.

A good post update 2.5 or 2.7 N/A seems to be selling late teens maybe early 20's. 

Now from what I see there are some very flash PRE update cars in great knick for 30/40/50 that have been sitting untouched on carsales for longer than my wife's guacamole sits at a Christmas function.  Similarly the pre update cars that aren't competitively priced (well down under 20) seem to linger longer deviled eggs at a Baptism (apologies to the Christians).

I think a pre update has to be very good to even get a look at 20k............but then again what do I know........................

12 minutes ago, Jason E said:

I think a pre update has to be very good to even get a look at 20k............but then again what do I know........................

You bloody S2 owners think you know everything!!! :ph34r:

Thanks for agreeing with me though ... :cool07:

12 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

You bloody S2 owners think you know everything!!! :ph34r:

Thanks for agreeing with me though ... :cool07:

I figured someone had to throw you bone sometime my friend :P.

And I'm glad someone has finally recognized my Know-it-all-ness.  Having said that the S2 owners are generally a cut above your turbo/ ricer wannabe's............just sayin........

1 minute ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

When I was looking at options 4 - 5 months ago, S2 manuals were asking mid - late 30's.  Suspect they were probably 1/3 overpriced...

I think they are worth the money - IF - they have been sorted.  If the car is proved to have had the work done I think we all know they are worth the money.  However if they need that cash/ time spent then the asking price must be commensurate.

seems to be a common theme on these 944 (and 924) that they are money pits for very little reward (apart from the obvious fun of driving one).  History seems solid enough and PO was a cheque book mechanic whom bordered on the side of service paranoia.  Car is definitely well sorted, clean tidy and mechanically good.  High teens, early 20s seems a reasonable price then?

7 minutes ago, hepkat63 said:

seems to be a common theme on these 944 (and 924) that they are money pits for very little reward (apart from the obvious fun of driving one).  History seems solid enough and PO was a cheque book mechanic whom bordered on the side of service paranoia.  Car is definitely well sorted, clean tidy and mechanically good.  High teens, early 20s seems a reasonable price then?

I'm more thinking mid teens tops .... I just have trouble seeing a pre '85 any higher ....

That's not saying they won't get there, I just don't see it at the moment ...

If you look hard enough you will find an 85.5 for mid to high teens .... and you would be much better off with that for the kind of money you are talking.

At the end of the day, if it's worth $20k to you then so be it ... market value isn't. 

I've always said .... a good deal is when both the buyer and the seller walk away happy .....

47 minutes ago, hepkat63 said:

seems to be a common theme on these 944 (and 924) that they are money pits for very little reward (apart from the obvious fun of driving one). 

I can see both sides of this impression of the 944s reliability. 

I've owned my car since November 2016, it has not let me down once.  It is my daily driver.  I do 70k's per day through traffic in Brisbane.  

Now in saying this I bought it, drove it straight to Buchanan's & said to Bruce, "please make it reliable".  Bruce did all the deferred maintenance & it cost me a shitload.  However I think it is money well spent for an extremely reliable 27 year old Porsche.

Since then I have been helped through a plethora of other major works to get the car ship shape by a knowledgeable & skilled enthusiast.

I think with these cars you just can't afford to not do the maintenance.  You can't afford to not spend the money/ time.

I shudder to think of what my car would be like if I hadn't spent the money (& lot's of Rob's time) on getting things squared away.

If you're happy the car has been well sorted then the money is worth it.  Look at the average price of the lesser cars add in the cost of bringing one up to scratch (considerable) & there's your answer.  They are great cars to drive as we all know.

It's like buying any car. If you can find one that has been well looked after and the maintenance kept up then you are on a winner which it sounds like the one you are looking at is. I'm with Dreamer on a mid teens price. If it was a post 85 with the updated dash then $18-20k.

Good luck. They really are a fantastic car.

He he ... I stand corrected. 

Normally I insult people by suggesting their model is worth less than they think so it's been a nice change.

3 hours ago, hepkat63 said:

I don't believe 924/944s cost any less than an equivalent aged 911 to maintain, however they don't really cost any less. Problem is that if you purchase one at $20k, you can easily spend $10k sorting it out. Therefore your $20k car has cost you $30k, however is maybe now worth $21k. What attracted me to the vehicle in question, and the highish value, was the view that it had zero money to be spent on maintenance. I would value that highly as fixing these cars isn't cheap. 

911s tend to be worth (pick any figure greater than $50k)... they will cost $10k to sort, however that's a smaller percentage than with the 944. The price increase in 911s have also made most maintenance costs trivial as they just keep going up in value.