On 2/16/2018 at 5:10 PM, hepkat63 said:

Hey all - would some one please be able to tell me the going rate (market value) for a 944 with about 230k on the clock (rebuilt motor with receipts) - 1984/85 model.   Assumptions  - all straight, great paint, great interior - no issues, regularly serviced, books, manuals etc.

I have just come across this thread, my first question is, why would a 944 engine need to be rebuilt after just 230,000kms.

On 2/16/2018 at 7:52 PM, Jason E said:

Hepkat63,

What I don't know about the mechanicals of the 944 could fill the old Encyclopedia Britannica ........what I do know about the 944 is how to hemorrhage a greater amount of money into one than the GDP of Liberia...............

I would have to go with Dreamer here.  Lets work backwards.  A reasonably well kept (post update) late model turbo or S2 will fetch the most & currently seems to be actually selling very late 20's to 30's with very good cars fetching anything up to 10k more.

A good post update 2.5 or 2.7 N/A seems to be selling late teens maybe early 20's. 

Now from what I see there are some very flash PRE update cars in great knick for 30/40/50 that have been sitting untouched on carsales for longer than my wife's guacamole sits at a Christmas function.  Similarly the pre update cars that aren't competitively priced (well down under 20) seem to linger longer deviled eggs at a Baptism (apologies to the Christians).

I think a pre update has to be very good to even get a look at 20k............but then again what do I know........................

I think Jason is pretty close to the mark......................although i hate to say it:P

On 2/16/2018 at 8:49 PM, hepkat63 said:

seems to be a common theme on these 944 (and 924) that they are money pits for very little reward (apart from the obvious fun of driving one).  History seems solid enough and PO was a cheque book mechanic whom bordered on the side of service paranoia.  Car is definitely well sorted, clean tidy and mechanically good.  High teens, early 20s seems a reasonable price then?

When you say a "rebuilt engine", is this total or top end, there is a big difference in rebuild price, unless it's a one owner concourse car with less than 100,000kms on it, i wouldn't be paying overs for it.

Original paint?

gearbox overhaul?

Torque tube overhaul?

A/C?

new radiator hoses and associated bits, engine bay wirirng etc etc etc, if you want to know what this stuff really costs PM @Jason E

Now you couldn't get any greater difference between 2 of the same model cars..

Car 1 is Ned's Maroon S2 (yes it's back!) that he won't let anyone get a PPI on and has been on sale and off for years

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-944-1990/SSE-AD-3502313/?Cr=0

Car 2 is on the other end of the scale. Very nice looking S2 for $31k

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-944-1989/SSE-AD-5283726/?Cr=1

1 minute ago, MB911 said:

Car 1 is Ned's Maroon S2 (yes it's back!) that he won't let anyone get a PPI on and has been on sale and off for years

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-944-1990/SSE-AD-3502313/?Cr=0

I love this guy - the eternal optimist.  Optimistic that he can find some poor, misbegotten fool that he can shaft with a car that obviously has some fairly major issues.   Obviously he won't let it be inspected as it needs a bucket load of work.  What a Bum!!

13 hours ago, Rob said:

Nu rush to change the timing belt - done in 1999!

ie9dksuwa7xi69jqdbirj.jpg?pxc_method=fit

I guess it hasn't self destructed so all is ok, right?

From what i have seen these belts will last a long time, maybe not the rollers etc.

I will give the guy the benefit of the doubt, it may just be an old sticker left on, could be good buying if it checks out ok.

25 minutes ago, ANF said:

Very big risk to drive any car with a timing belt that old! If anything like a 928 belt (which I would think it is) recommended to change every 6 or so years...

I have an 11 year old belt in my possession which still looks new and i have seen a 996 operate on the strings of a shredded belt, these belts are very strong, sure they have a limit but don't believe all the hype, like i said earlier the rollers are more likely to fail before a belt will;)

Bought a very good 968 in Sydney several years ago.  Drove it home with son Scott (another great bonding exercise btw) and noticed a slight tremor through the car with revs and decided the balance belt was a tooth out of time.  Got home safely and ran the car for a few weeks before deciding to look at the belts and check the timing.  Took the timing covers off and... no balance belt!  No - there it was - in a hundred pieces in the lower timing cover...

WzJX6zT.jpg

Cam belt was still there, though - but only just!  a number of teeth had disappeared to half width, and some were missing completely.  When I recall red-lining the car coming up Thunderbolt's Way and several other places after that, I shudder to think of what could have happened.  But Tingy, the rollers were fine, but I replaced them anyway... :P

s9fuGq1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I see Vince's 944 Turbo has just been listed for sale. Some very impressive photos in the ad. Slate Grey Metallic is a stunning colour if I do say so myself (biased)! :D 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-944-1986/SSE-AD-5259226/?ret=search-alert&utm_source=internal-carsales-notification-centre-search-alert&utm_medium=email

12 minutes ago, OzJustin said:

I see Vince's 944 Turbo has just been listed for sale. Some very impressive photos in the ad. Slate Grey Metallic is a stunning colour if I do say so myself (biased)! :D 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-944-1986/SSE-AD-5259226/?ret=search-alert&utm_source=internal-carsales-notification-centre-search-alert&utm_medium=email

Nice....

13 minutes ago, OzJustin said:

Nice ad, but a hard sell at those km...

On 24/02/2018 at 5:47 PM, Rob said:

Bought a very good 968 in Sydney several years ago.  Drove it home with son Scott (another great bonding exercise btw) and noticed a slight tremor through the car with revs and decided the balance belt was a tooth out of time.  Got home safely and ran the car for a few weeks before deciding to look at the belts and check the timing.  Took the timing covers off and... no balance belt!  No - there it was - in a hundred pieces in the lower timing cover...

WzJX6zT.jpg

Cam belt was still there, though - but only just!  a number of teeth had disappeared to half width, and some were missing completely.  When I recall red-lining the car coming up Thunderbolt's Way and several other places after that, I shudder to think of what could have happened.  But Tingy, the rollers were fine, but I replaced them anyway... :P

I had one of those chewed up BS belts when I bought my elderly ownered $2k :D 944. The TB was crazy cracked but intact. Bullet dodged! 

The when and what to do is well detailed in the Clark' Garage article.

I've only done ~12000k since then but it's around 6-7 years and it should have a new water pump as well as the belts in the next year.

If anything goes bang,  I have a 60k km spare engine sitting there :rolleyes: No it's NFS.

19 minutes ago, Rob said:

Wow! That car has done a few kms. It seems to present well and is reasonably priced... if I was shopping for a 951 I'd be torn on the old shop on condition or kms. Especially because so many cars with low kms just had broken odometer for long periods of time.

43 minutes ago, Rob said:

Wow that is gorgeous...my favourite colour, man I wish mine was slate grey!

Personally I'm not one to be worried about high km's, as long as the car is in good nick...if anything I'd say it's proof that it's been looked after and driven, not sat in a garage and neglected for years.

1 hour ago, OzJustin said:

Hey guys, yep my car. Rushed this listing up before a work trip this evening, didn't even get a chance to post it here. Would love to keep this, but I justified the new 911 purchase to the missus by agreeing to sell some of my other toys :(