Hey guys, it's been a while. Congratulations on the 996 Tingy. 

My apologies if you have spoken about this, but does anyone know this red 944 S2 cab in WA. looks nice ...... (I know most people don't like cabs but this one in red looks the part I think). I did notice the tail light has had sealer replaced around it. 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/_/OAG-AD-16936289

• 1 month later...

Is it just me or is there more S2's for sale in the last 6 months than ever before?  And for prices that are extremely reasonable.  When I was looking you couldn't get one for Love nor Money.  Now you can't give 'em away quick enough.  Fu@%ing Porsches are doing my head in. 

8 hours ago, bear924 said:

When I play the game "which 944 S2" would I buy, I thought this one looked very clean.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-944-1990/SSE-AD-6062031/?Cr=5

And at $29k seems to be on the lower end of the $ curve. 

Do agree though, few S2s to choose from.

Tell me about it !!!!

My investment strategy always seems to be "buy in at the top of the market & then sell when there's a glut".

Sigh............

15 minutes ago, Jason E said:

Tell me about it !!!!

My investment strategy always seems to be "buy in at the top of the market & then sell when there's a glut".

Sigh............

Be careful when you think you have a bargain.  😍

For those that may be interested, there may be a Black 86 NA 2.5 Lt 944 on the market soon. Its had lots of $$$$ spent on it, in all the right areas. Just saying if anyone is looking for a nice 944.  

3 hours ago, Port 911 said:

Be careful when you think you have a bargain.  😍

I've certainly learn't that a cheap Porsche purchase is the most expensive vehicular investment you can make.  I'm in well over 4 times my purchase price with plenty left to do on a car that the market says will be worth half of what I'm in for.  I'm surprised Standard & Poors haven't offered me a job yet.

Plus the thing goes half as well as my GTI.  I suck.

18 minutes ago, JWM said:

If you want to feel better @Jason E find a chart of Sydney property and look for the peak. That’s when I bought my last house. Willing to bet you’re many 944s in front of me on that “strategy”... 😂

I'll see your Sydney Market & raise you the fact that I had to sell 2 investment properties in the same financial year (last year) to finish the house we've just built.  There's a pretty good 2nd hand 1st Gen Cayman in this years Tax Bill.  I. Really. Suck.  

3 hours ago, Jason E said:

You just need to turn it into a 500hp firebreathing 3L Turbo then you’ll be giggling like a little school girl rather than looking longingly over at your GTI. 😉

6 hours ago, Jason E said:

I've certainly learn't that a cheap Porsche purchase is the most expensive vehicular investment you can make.  I'm in well over 4 times my purchase price with plenty left to do on a car that the market says will be worth half of what I'm in for.  I'm surprised Standard & Poors haven't offered me a job yet.

I never said it was a good strategy ... agreed .. you suck! ... :Chuckle2:  :Beer:

11 hours ago, Jason E said:

I reckon one of the hardest parts of owning an old Porsche, is that compared to anything new, they are essentially slow … tend to need $$ and don't make you a rock star as your pre Porsche owning dreams suggested would happen.

So then why do we have these slow money sucking slugs? I think part of it for me, is knowing that I'm keeping the car alive... saving the artwork for the next generation. My little gift to carmanity.  

Driving your old car is not measured in absolute performance. Its what makes you happy.

Look at the old guy driving an old 1960's MGB or beetle. No matter what you do its still an old MGB or beetle, its not very fast or special. But to the old guy who has it & drives it, maybe it is special. 

You can spend a bucket of bucks restoring your car to near as new condition or even upgrading it or just enjoy it for what it is. A cool old car that makes you happy. If not, time for a new adventure.

1 minute ago, brian in buddina said:

. If not, time for a new adventure.

I have found that its important to reinvent the Porsche adventure from time to time. Today it might be about cars and coffee, tomorrow it might be about sorting out the paint job, next year might be about doing some track work. If the thrill is gone, sometimes its about reinventing .. and sometimes it's about doing something different. 

11 hours ago, brian in buddina said:

Look at the old guy driving an old 1960's MGB or beetle. No matter what you do its still an old MGB or beetle, its not very fast or special. But to the old guy who has it & drives it, maybe it is special. 

A few years ago I was driving on the Bruce Highway near Gympie when I saw what looked like a desert mirage in front of me. As I got closer, the "mirage" turned out to be the scruffiest, most battered and scraped mushroom coloured E Type Jaguar I have ever seen.   Attached to its roof was 3 or 4 lengths of 4 x 4 timber beams - and I mean attached to its roof, not to a roof rack - it looked like a yacht with its rigging dropped down. The timber was fixed to the car by two leather belts passed through each of the side windows and through the cabin - one belt in front of the drivers head , the other belt behind his head. A length of orange string was tied to the front of the timber and then attached to the front bumper (extra security??). But the driver (probably in his 70's) with a mop of silver hair and a big bushie blowing in the wind looked as happy as Larry - one hand on the wheel and his arm casually draped over the drivers window (he couldn't raise the windows 'cos the tie down belts were in the way).

I mentioned this  E Type to a co-worker who lived in Gympie and it appears the driver is a bit of a local celeb who had owned the Jaguar for nearly 50 years and cared not a damn about appearances and values. BUT, I was told he was a retired engineer who kept the mechanicals in tip top condition. He also owned a Vincent Rapide that looked like crap but it went like a rocket with Shadow cams and heads.

A happy, couldn't give a sh!t type of bloke by all accounts......