• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Fishcop said:

Fuch..  I hope old mate Terry hasn't gone to the big old stable in the sky..  I sold a pinball machine to this old bloke a few years ago and when I dropped it off I spied the 944 under the tarp in the carport.  Quite the character was (hopefully still is) Terry, old horse whisperer from way back.!  Not quite the immaculate S2 as described though.  I offered him 19k back then, which is what I thought it was worth ;)

Yours is significantly better @Jason E, without shadow of a doubt.

• 5 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Fishcop said:

This is an 85.5 car, exactly the same as my first 944, certainly looks the goods.

• 2 weeks later...

Calling the 944 Guru's

A mate of mine has stumbled across a 944 S1 that has been set up as a modded street /targa car and wants to know what's it value.

It is running a fresh motor with supercharger, bigger brakes, coil overs, half cage, harness, seats etc etc,

Oz delivered, interior is neat, body is 7/10, currently registered.  

My thoughts are,  that besides the effort gone into it , makes it 1/2 the value of an unmolested absolute minter.

5 minutes ago, Shedpest said:

Calling the 944 Guru's

A mate of mine has stumbled across a 944 S1 that has been set up as a modded street /targa car and wants to know what's it value.

It is running a fresh motor with supercharger, bigger brakes, coil overs, half cage, harness, seats etc etc,

My thoughts are,  that besides the effort gone into it , makes it 1/2 the value of an unmolested absolute minter.

A fella here in Brisbane recently sold an S2 with an LS swap.  Car was in outstanding condition, he'd spent some pretty big dollars doing his car up & it looked beautiful.  Struggled to sell it despite the condition & I think he might have sold it somewhere around the 30k mark (though I'm not sure & apologies to the seller if I am wrong).

My point is that modified cars don't seem to get much on resale.

5 hours ago, Shedpest said:

Calling the 944 Guru's

Standard motor supercharged or non-P motor, such as LS?

19 hours ago, Shedpest said:

Some people will want a car that is different, not chasing an absolute minter, rather something they can work on, thrash and not worry about putting the k's on.  I think 1/2 the value would be good buying, I could see tastefully modded cars going for the same price or maybe 25% discount.  Looks like a good condition early 944 is around $20k so if your mate can purchase for $10-$15k I think he'd be on a winner for a bit of fun.

Original always keeps the best value - no question there.  For me (no stranger to modded Porsches), the nicest cars have detail... Track thrashers tend to look rough and a bit less loved.  If a modded car 'looks' original, such as full or well detailed interior, nice steering wheel/seats, and good paint; then I think you can reasonably ask a number around 80% of an equivalent 'factory fresh' original.  The price can go up if the mods are particularly special and have been fabricated and detailed REALLY well - professional welds, cad plating, powder/painted nicely etc...

Watching car sales it appears most 944’s are over priced and need pulling back,

4 944’s under $47k have not sold in about 6 months 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1986-porsche-944-turbo-manual/SSE-AD-6591238

the ones over $50k (more like $65k) have not sold in months if not longer.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1986-porsche-944-turbo-manual/SSE-AD-6142538

a couple of tidy 944S1 are floating around $22k and still siting.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1983-porsche-944-manual/SSE-AD-6231709

so what are they “worth” ?

surely it’s only the price That’s holding back sales.

20 minutes ago, Whateverreally said:

Watching car sales it appears most 944’s are over priced and need pulling back,

4 944’s under $47k have not sold in about 6 months 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1986-porsche-944-turbo-manual/SSE-AD-6591238

the ones over $50k (more like $65k) have not sold in months if not longer.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1986-porsche-944-turbo-manual/SSE-AD-6142538

a couple of tidy 944S1 are floating around $22k and still siting.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1983-porsche-944-manual/SSE-AD-6231709

so what are they “worth” ?

surely it’s only the price That’s holding back sales.

Ha ha,  I remember 5 years ago when the view was that 911s were over priced and needed pulling back ;)

As a recent buyer of a 944S2 I can offer some perspective - all the 'nice' S2s this year have been moving around the $32k mark (I rang buyers/sellers to clarify).  And by 'nice', I mean mostly original cars with full service histories and regular attention to the things that matter (water pumps, belts, brakes etc...). 

Regarding Turbos, there is a difference between the early ('86) cars and the later cars mechanically and performance wise, so there is a natural price differential.

I'll agree the earlier NA cars are a confusing mix, and no one touches autos :D

And just remember, the good cars don't often even pop up or trade on Car Sales.

The nicest current S2 on CS is Mark Munro's red car at roughly $32k - it has leather and cruise options (I'd probably have bought it had it bee available 2 weeks earlier :D ). 

7 minutes ago, Whateverreally said:

That red one of Marks does look good and I’d be buy the owner not the car but,

the ones I linked what are they worth if not selling at the prices listed? 

I guess it's just like the adage - they're worth what you're willing to pay...

If we assume the nicest of the NA cars are the S2 and they are in the low to mid $30s (selling), and even 'nice' S1 autos can't get $15k, then it's all about providence and condition for those remaining manual cars with maybe a higher figure for the round dash and later interior.  I think a really nice S1 manual would be $20-25k?  But I'm only guessing.

I think this could be a gem if you're okay with a UK delivery... https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/porsche-944-1985/oag-ad-19031349/

15 minutes ago, Whateverreally said:

That red one of Marks does look good and I’d be buy the owner not the car but,

the ones I linked what are they worth if not selling at the prices listed? 

That S1 you listed is a UK import. Unfortunately we don't really like them over here. I'm not commenting on that particular car, rather where it comes from originally ... I think that one will be for sale for a long time unless the price is drastically reduced. A mint S1 944 (Aussie car) will sit at around $20 / $21k ... maybe a bit more if there is nothing else on the market ... 

There used to be a massive difference between the round dash and oval dash 944's, but I think that gap has closed somewhat .. there was a time when not only were they worth 50% less, people wouldn't even buy them .. they would wait for an oval dash one to come up. Just for the record, I used to be one of them! ..

CTS has a mint S1 up for $35k and even with their prestige tax, I think they'll have it for a while ..

I have been wrong on many occasions (as have we all) but that's my take on it in the current climate.

39 minutes ago, Fishcop said:

If this one is an AU delivery, then it might be a nice buy negotiated for <$20k if a square dash is acceptable.  And if those sport seats are original, then it would be a really rare option... https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1985-porsche-944-manual/OAG-AD-19061833/?Cr=0

It does say in the ad that its an Aussie car .. and it looks really, really nice. I think the colour “might” work against it a little but everyone’s eye is different.

Can’t take the k’s at face value but it certainly looks to have been looked after ... you’d have to see it in person to really tell.

• 2 weeks later...