Renegade Retro Master, rescuing a retro hero.

edgy

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's great to see the modern love for toofahs ; the past few years they have been as popular as Y fronts amongst you young fellas , but now you've reached middle age reality strikes :)

As you know I recently sold mine;  modus commandos for me now.

Update: Looks like this is @Airhead's old 924. 

Clear out your inbox Mr We have something to talk about! :D 

924%20-%202_zps3qyb7kzy.jpg

Sorry to interrupt thread topic but what is that in the shed? (not lotus,bolwell,alfa, fiat) 

Keep the rims = they are badass  :) 

I finally got the historic registration on yesterday, I must say, since they've amalgamated all the services in NSW, its quite amusing to watch the uninitiated try to perform this transaction. 

IMG_0920_zpsl9blnmsu.jpg

IMG_0922_zpskndmjmre.jpg

We took it for a blast through the royal national park, what a bunch of fun it is! :D 

In a bizarre twist of fate, some of you may have noticed that this 924 used to belong to PFA member Airhead during the 90's, when I got hold of the car a few months back, I was told that the cars original owners/service manual was long gone, and it was. But it turns out that Airhead still had its original owner manual and service book! :D He was kind enough to send them on to me so they could be reunited with the car. I also have since found out a bunch of cool stuff about the car and its history, it turns out its looked this way for a long time so I am therefore reluctant to change it! 

IMG_0986_zpswpl0kywy.jpg

The car was delivered by Hamilton's of Melbourne when it was new, from what I can tell, it has never left the state of Victoria until my ownership. 

IMG_0987_zpsxxnalvze.jpg

Service records. 

IMG_0988_zps6gu1qptf.jpg

Galvanised :) 

IMG_0990_zps6hotcd7v.jpg

I know I've thanked Airhead privately, but I feel its important I give him a wrap in public, without such a prudent past owner this fine example would not have its full provenance, and now it does! So thanks again Barry. :) 

We are merely stewards for the next custodian and lord knows that most 924's have not fallen into the rights hands over the years.

Nice work Airhead. 

Don't change a thing about it Edgy. 

Maybe get some original wheels for keep sakes but I think it looks the goods the way it is. 

• 3 weeks later...

Nice work Airhead. 

Don't change a thing about it Edgy. 

Maybe get some original wheels for keep sakes but I think it looks the goods the way it is. 

Great work Airhead, you've just added a couple of grand to the value of that vehicle!

I say sell the rims (to me)! They look terrible ..... ;)

Great work Airhead, you've just added a couple of grand to the value of that vehicle!

I say sell the rims (to me)! They look terrible ..... ;)

I was going to return the car to stock, enter it in concourse etc, but now I know its history and how it has looked this way for at least 2 decades, I am absolutely dedicated to preserving it as is. So the Simmons will stay, not the reply you wanted I'm sure! :lol: sorry to be the barer of bad news.

I was going to return the car to stock, enter it in concourse etc, but now I know its history and how it has looked this way for at least 2 decades, I am absolutely dedicated to preserving it as is. So the Simmons will stay, not the reply you wanted I'm sure! :lol: sorry to be the barer of bad news.

All good! I certainly wouldn't change it either. Awesome to have all the history as well now!

I still think the 924 is the best looking of all the front engined cars, and this is one of the better looking 924s .... so simple and elegant.

• 1 month later...

I posted this in the PCNSW concours thread, but to keep this thread collated and up to speed, here is our trip to PCNSW Concours D'elegance 2016.

Our little red 924 came 3rd in class (was & polish modified pre-1990) Absolutely chuffed!! 

IMG_2274_zpsadutc0eo.jpg

IMG_2249_zps67w0pysp.jpg

IMG_2252_zpsidbgtcla.jpg

IMG_2260_zps0kjwbcqr.jpg

Little family photo before we leave. :) 

IMG_2272_zpsqfcoklux.jpg

Retro hero taking in the Spring sunshine. :) 

IMG_2301_zps93q8bild.jpg

Archived