Sign in to follow this  
ByronBayChris

No start when cold

.47 volts? That's not enough to make your hair stand on end.

I am hoping that fixed it - or perhaps was a lucky start..............0.47v is not big - but touch a spanner between +ve and the body and 6.5v is BIG enough for me !!!

.47 volts? That's not enough to make your hair stand on end.

Speaking of volts , after work today I picked up this early 356 vintage ex telecom device . Never seen these 15v batteries before; got a coupla sparkies asking around for me. Batteries are smaller than the 9v ones you normally get.

IMG_7943.jpg

I usually show 6.47V at the battery Chris.  I did fit a starter relay circuit that I made up for a few dollars based on the Joe Leoni one.  I now have close to 6.4V AT the starter.  Makes a huge difference and saves that irreplaceable ignition switch.

Merv

I had a similar problem last year. The carbies would dry out during the week so by the time this fill up with juice from cranking, the 6v battery has nearly died. So the suggestion of fitting an electric pump is well worth it. In my case, I fitted a marine priming pump in the fuel line in the engine bay. So before I crank the engine, I queeze the priming pump few times which fills up the carbies

Like this one but get a quality one because cheapies will split

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/8mm-Rubber-Pump-Hand-Primer-Bulb-for-Boat-Kart-Cargo-Marine-Petrol-Fuel-Diesel-/151784331557?hash=item23570d1925:g:lxUAAOSwd0BV0u9o

Speaking of volts , after work today I picked up this early 356 vintage ex telecom device . Never seen these 15v batteries before; got a coupla sparkies asking around for me. Batteries are smaller than the 9v ones you normally get.

IMG_7943.jpg

Continuing off topic Taz, you'll like this thread:

http://www.electronicspoint.com/threads/ever411-15v-battery-from-wes.250983/

It's just like reading PFA in so many ways!

Oh, back on topic, congratulations on the self starting Chris!

Merv

I had a similar problem last year. The carbies would dry out during the week so by the time this fill up with juice from cranking, the 6v battery has nearly died. So the suggestion of fitting an electric pump is well worth it. In my case, I fitted a marine priming pump in the fuel line in the engine bay. So before I crank the engine, I queeze the priming pump few times which fills up the carbies

Like this one but get a quality one because cheapies will split

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/8mm-Rubber-Pump-Hand-Primer-Bulb-for-Boat-Kart-Cargo-Marine-Petrol-Fuel-Diesel-/151784331557?hash=item23570d1925:g:lxUAAOSwd0BV0u9o

Those priming pumps are good.  I fitted an inline 6v fuel electric pump under the passenger side floor panel, but have never used it.  Now that I have set the float and 'squirt' levels correctly, 3 pumps and it starts straight up on the coldest mornings.

Help me out here.

When cold, the 356 will crank happily, but not fire.  If I attach an external 6v battery to the one in the car, it starts immediately, but only when I attach +ve to +ve and -ve to ground strap.

HOWEVER.....when warm it starts first time.

Convert to 12v> your 6v battery is fooked.