Tesla autopilot fatal crash

tazzieman

Two weeks later and I'm still not sure I really understand the furore to be honest... Tesla tell you it's a driver assistance system, not a driver replacement system, and despite assertions in the thread, you must have your hands on the wheel for it to work. Someone used it wrong (treating it like a replacement), and they crashed... I'm yet to hear a sensible explanation of why this is different to any other sort of accident caused by someone using a machine in a way it wasn't intended...

Would be ok if all they called it was a driver assistance system. Autopilot and driverless car implies something different and more advanced. They have bought it on themselves.

http://www.gizmag.com/tesla-autopilot-test/40642/

The programming dilemma. Who to kill. Say a roo jumps out in front should the car avoid it and run you into a tree or hit the roo. Now change the roo for a child. Until the car can tell the difference between what it is about to hit and its relative value v's those in the car and evaluate the likely outcomes it will have no place on our roads. 

Two weeks later and I'm still not sure I really understand the furore to be honest... Tesla tell you it's a driver assistance system, not a driver replacement system, and despite assertions in the thread, you must have your hands on the wheel for it to work. Someone used it wrong (treating it like a replacement), and they crashed... I'm yet to hear a sensible explanation of why this is different to any other sort of accident caused by someone using a machine in a way it wasn't intended...

Are you sure? In this video these idiots don't need to have hands on wheels for driving.

Are you sure? In this video these idiots don't need to have hands on wheels for driving.

It will still work, but nags you after a little bit then eventually will slow the car down to a stop unless you put your hands back. They don't seem to show more than a few consecutive seconds of "hands off the wheel" footage in that video...

From https://www.teslamotors.com/en_AU/presskit/autopilot

Tesla requires drivers to remain engaged and aware when Autosteer is enabled. Drivers must keep their hands on the steering wheel.

• 1 month later...

Press release from Tesla will be

'When a new technology is invented, there will be teething problems that will be attended too. In the interim, a few cars MAY experience sudden spontaneous combustion issues, or navigation/self drive problems.  People will probably die as a result, yet they're a disposable asset, and our aim is to ensure the public that we will fix these problems for our future customers, and guarantee that a few deaths is worth it in the long run to save our planet. Even though we use fossil fuels to make these batteries and every other part on the vehickles that we produce, we think a few deaths is worth the cash'

Yep they are a great thing when they are damaged venting extremely toxic gas ,,,,and I believe from what I have read ,that they are near impossible or extremely difficult  to extinguish  once on fire ,,when the stored energy inside the battery along with the materials in the battery ignite it is almost like it is a self sustaining reaction with one fueling the other,,,, simply trying to take away the oxygen or combustible materials in not enough,,,,, very nasty stuff ,would love to hear from any members who are fireman about this ......................

Poison.gif

Edited by Raven

Non fatal auto pilot crashes in China and Montana also. Whether the driver is partly to blame or not, there seems to be an underlying problem. When we engage our cruise control, we no longer think about what speed we're doing. We no longer think about whether it's suitable to turn our lights on or use our windscreen wipers because the car does it all for us. How alert do you think people are going to be when the car is performing every function for you? And if it's not supposed to be a true self driving vehicle, what's the point of having it in the first place? Are we so damn lazy that we can't even be bothered turning a steering wheel even though we still have to hold it? Seems to me that cars are making dumb drivers even dumber.

Agree with you @Simonk, cars are making drivers worse!

I do use my cruise control a fair bit, mainly so I can concentrate more on the road, but leave out everything else, and I hate it when it starts to brake for me - I turn it off then....

My automatic Mercedes even has hill start assist, FFS it is an auto....

Driving into the city today and seeing a learner driving making a mess of things, I thought about new drivers and what they learn to drive in, with all these "driver aids" they are not actually learning to drive the car fully.... car park assist, hill start assist, ABS brakes, etc, etc.... so glad I learnt to drive when the only assistance you had was power steering and power brakes and only then if you were lucky.... :)

What about Merc when they introduced that "present your seatbelt" function? I have always much preferred fumbling for the belt in my Landy and the old Merc! It  drives passengers crazy.

Not familiar with this? Which model/ when?

Not familiar with this? Which model/ when?

Maybe wasn't MB to start but

Seatbelts that automatically move into position around a vehicle occupant once the adjacent door is closed and/or the engine is started were developed as a countermeasure against low usage rates of manual seat belts, particularly in the United States. The first car to feature automatic shoulder belts as standard equipment was the 1981 Toyota Cressida, but the history of such belts goes back further.[31]

The 1972 Volkswagen ESVW1 Experimental Safety Vehicle presented passive seat belts.[32] Volvo tried to develop a passive three point seatbelt. In 1973 Volkswagen announced they had a functional passive seat belt.[33] The first commercial car to use automatic seat belts was the 1975 Volkswagen Rabbit.[34]

and more recently

http://www.motoring.com.au/mercedes-re-invents-the-seatbelt-buckle-28811/

Leave it to Mercedes-Benz, which introduced pretensioners in the 1981 S-Class, to come up with the latest breakthrough – dubbed the ‘Active’ seatbelt buckle.

Currently under development by Merc, the new buckle is soon to debut on a production model, and we’re guessing that model will be the all-new 2013 S-Class.

The latest tech features an electric motor that extends (by 70mm) and retracts (by 40mm) the seatbelt buckle automatically, and Mercedes claims this reduces the belt slack in the area of the pelvis and thorax, securing passengers more firmly in sideways and lengthways directions.

In addition, fastening seatbelts in the rear is allegedly made much simpler as the seatbelt buckle emerges from the upholstery when the rear doors are opened and is provided with an illuminated insertion slot.

The company adds that simplifying use of the seat belt in this manner may increase the percentage of rear passengers who buckle up (not so much a problem in Australia, but a distinct problem in various other markets).

Ah, that feature. Was on most US cars to try and encourage them to use seatbelts. Very weird when you get into said car in the US for the first time! Some ran up the window frame, only the sash part though.

I hear the current MBs tighten the belt once you have plugged it in! Pity if you want to move!

"The latest tech features an electric motor that extends (by 70mm) and retracts (by 40mm) the seatbelt buckle automatically, and Mercedes claims this reduces the belt slack in the area of the pelvis and thorax, securing passengers more firmly in sideways and lengthways directions."

That is taking it a bit far.....!!

Ah, that feature. Was on most US cars to try and encourage them to use seatbelts. Very weird when you get into said car in the US for the first time! Some ran up the window frame, only the sash part though.

I hear the current MBs tighten the belt once you have plugged it in! Pity if you want to move!

"The latest tech features an electric motor that extends (by 70mm) and retracts (by 40mm) the seatbelt buckle automatically, and Mercedes claims this reduces the belt slack in the area of the pelvis and thorax, securing passengers more firmly in sideways and lengthways directions."

That is taking it a bit far.....!!

yep, hired a E220 and I shit myself when the seatbelt tightened when I started the car. Totally unnecessary.

If the safety people want the public to wear seatbelts, they should force them to watch a video I just saw on Facebook. I'd rather not watch that again. Jeebus!!

I couldn't even drive a car without using a seatbelt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/motoring/tesla-autopilot-update-to-improve-probability-of-safety-musk-says/news-story/70cfa99decd5209c4b52b0887a3e3e69

Mr Musk did say he believed the new software update, which he called a “massive enhancement,” would have prevented the death of Mr Brown.

“It’s not about going from bad to good,” Mr Musk said during a conference call with reporters. “Things are already good. I think it’s about going from good to great.”

He predicted the upgrade would cut Tesla accidents by half.

I'll wait for the self refilling latte system before shelling out the Large Bikkies 

They will have self driving perfected and all cars sold will have that feature in less than 10 years. Right down to a VW golf. You can buy a drone that flies itself home for $150 and pretty much everything in all new cars is run by a computer. Google, Apple and even Ford are investing heavily in self drive fleets to compete with Uber but will not have to pay drivers. Like it or not is happening... the world trusts planes to take off, land and fly on auto pilot, they crash and the world moves on and thousands get in planes the next day and the pilot hits auto pilot and we go again. We love to dive but 2 generations time driving will be done only by skynet and that sucks!

Planes are a different kettle of fish when talking automation. Not many things to hit in the sky. That, and the pilot is still at the controls in case something goes wrong

So people would be happy to sit in the back of an automated car (noone in front), and trust it 100% that it has the same capabilities as a human?  You're braver than I am!

If you have to have an operator in the drivers seat 'just in case' something goes wrong, what's the point of it being automated in the first place? Would the operator have a quick enough reaction time to avoid an accident SHOULD something go wrong? Automation is supposed to eliminate human interaction as far as I'm aware