911 3.2 as a daily? vs 986 2.7 Boxster

Dsisco

Hey guys,

i ended up selling my 986 boxster early this year and currently driving a clk430,

miss the feeling of a P/car and looking at getting into another porsche as my daily drive,

im tossing up between a later model boxster than what i had 2.7 MY01+ or a mid 80's 911 carerra 3.2

does anyone have any experience with the 80's air cooled 911's as daily drivers?

whats the running costs like in comparison to the boxster?

my previous 2.5 had pulley, intake, headers, ECU flash few other mods etc,, would that be similar performance to a stock 2.7?

a 993 or 996 would be the best of both worlds, but way out my budget.

any input would be great.

I don't have experience of driving a 3.2 daily, but my input...

3.2 plus on style,

3.2 minus on air-con (if that is a priority for you)

3.2 not sure how they drive in heavy stop start traffic.

I think there are a few on the forum who use their 3.2 as a DD

Up until the end of October this year, I have been driving my 3.2 on a daily basis for the last 4 years :D .

Car is serviced every 10,000 km with every second service being a bit pricey given major engine maintenance is carried out.

Over 4 years, I have only once had an issue on the road when the alternator gave up, so overall, very reliable.

As Doug mentioned, one issue is poor A/C. Spent over $1000 to get it up to scratch, and still get better cooling by having the window down B) . In general, engine runs OK in summer, but temp gauge climbs if sitting in peak hour traffic on a 32 degree plus day. I have the luxury of going against the trafiic and chose a longer route with less stops on extremly hot days (engine temp is fine when you're moving).

When comparing a 3.2 to a boxster, I suspect you will find the boxster is more comfortable and easier to drive; however, in a 3.2, driving to work and back is a daily pleasure (call me old school).

For me, there is no choice, as.................... "There Is No Substitute".................3.2 all the way! :P

Great question - almost like the one I was planning to ask. I've been toying with the idea of an 80's air cooled 911 as transport too. I've not owned a Porsche before, but the 911 has been "it" since I was a kid and now the kids have left maybe the time is right. So, perhaps those who own one could give me some insight into the running costs and practicalities. I don't have lots of traffic in my commute so over heating wouldn't be an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Simon,

Was in your position only few months ago and have purchased an '85 Carrera. Use it as a daily on my 80 odd kms a day commute and enjoy every minute of it.

As Stepo suggested above every drive is an event. Lack of power steering, ABS and aircon doesn't bother me. No issues with overheating in Sydney traffic so far.

My attitude is that life is too short to be sensible and worry about running costs and practicality. ;)

Archived