Lakeside - General Practice (First Track Day)

Headed out on the 25 June for my first Track day in the 911 at Lakeside Speedway in Queensland.
I prefer my mountain roads and spirited street driving, but as with many before me, am realising to explore the car's limits, its better to do it in a controlled environment. 

The 993 3.6 was rebuilt at the beginning of the year, so I was keeping my engine in mind while racing (and hence short shifting).
For those that dont know my car, it was driven regularly on Eastern Creek by the previous owner, with a setup reflecting regular track use (polyurethane bushes, solid strut mounts, brake balancer). It really felt at home on the track and allowed my noob ass to get away with some very bad transitions. 

A lot was learned on the day, many things Id never experienced before on the street, heat cycling of tyres being the biggest.

Any feedback, commenting, good or bad is appreciated :)

Your lines look Ok but could use a bit more road on the exits to open the corners up. i.e. can get on the power earlier.

Perhaps also lift the seat back forward a bit so your arms are bent more at the elbows. Gives you more push on the wheel and not stretching your arm so much as you turn across the top of the wheel. Makes it easier to catch it when things go wrong (as they do sometimes). B)

Did you have fun?

I was going to suggest the same as above re exiting, and bend your arms a bit

I'm over 6 foot, and have always driven with the seat laid back a bit with extended arms. Since I've owned the SC and driven 'spiritedly' in the hills, I've brought the seat backrest further forward and bent the arms. It will feel weird at first, yet will be much better

I've never raced cars, though bikes and Karting is the same principle. Try a wider entry with a later apex so you can get on the gas earlier and use all the track, especially at The Careousel 

Thanks for the advice Airhead. Makes sense what you're saying... I'm not overly tall only 5/11 (with a longer abdominal than average) but I was actually hitting my head with helmet on the top of the roof lining, this is why the seat was back further than I usually drive with. I should have compensated by sliding the seat further forward, but then my heel and toeing was a bit off... I don't know why it's even a problem seeing as I've got factory seats and figured there should be enough space.

Also agree about the run off... clearly that shows that I either I dont know the dimensions of the car (in which I think it's larger than what it actually is) or I was keeping it for additional safety margin, unnecessarily. 

I really struggled at the top of the hill, I couldn't find a smooth but fast line... every time I'd get on the power the front would become too light. Possibly its as you say LeeM, later apex with some trail braking to turn the car? 

I'm not sure if I enjoyed it more than driving on the open road, but I see how much i still have to learn about the car. And that makes me want to come back. 

Just try different things mate. Have it in your head to start a track day as you would normally drive, then set your mind on doing something different at one particular corner. Entry and exits, brake later/earlier etc. Then once you're happier, try the next corner that maybe giving you trouble. The best way, is to do 2 or 3 laps your way with a stop watch, then 2 or 3 another way and compare. Write it all down with what you do normally, and the changes you make so that you don't forget.

When I raced bikes, I broke 3 toes and some bones in the top of my left foot in a crash an hour earlier, so I had to use 3rd 4th and 5th only due to the ridiculous pain changing gear (stupid I know,especially when the drugs wore off pretty quickly, but I was wanted any points I could get), yet my lap times were practically the same, as I used different entry lines to carry more corner speed. It then made me think more about the lines I had been using for years, and it helped me go quicker when it felt like I was actually going slower. If that makes any sense to you? 

Maybe some coaching from a pro driver wouldn't go astray too

As others have said, straight arms and locked elbows give limited control.  Street or track.  When resting comfortably with shoulders back against the seat, when you outstretch your arm, I'm told your wrist should rest on top of the steering wheel (not palm or fingertips).  Like others have said, feels weird at first but I'm used to it now.  look at any race or rally driver, they all sit very close for better control, using shoulders not arms.

Highly recommend taking an instructor out if you get an opportunity.  Some will drive your car if you're happy for them to, to show you how it's done then they sit alongside while you drive.  typically you'll find you don't use anywhere near enough track and you'll hug a corner rather than straight lining, clipping the apex which is quickest.  And you'll brake early and weak whereas on track you have the retrain the brain to brake HARD and late in a straight line then more deliberate steering action and drive through the corner.

i did a full day Radical drive at eastern creek, instructor beside me all day.  By the end I thought I was doing well having improved lap times several seconds, 190 km/h through turn 1 "on the limit".  Then we swapped seats.  Holy shit.  He was over 5s a lap quicker and I had to tell him to pull in on lap 2 because I was about to pewk in my helmet.  My chin hit my chest when he braked, neck muscles not strong enough to hold my head up.  Smooth but massive G forces.  He went through turn 1 flat, no lift or brake at all, 220.......getting used to leaning on slicks and aero were part of that but It also quashed any delusions I had about being a decent track driver.  The gulf between enthusiasts and pro drivers is massive - lots to be learned.  And this guy was an "unknown" and raced part time.  No doubt Ricciardo would be seconds faster than him.......wow.

Archived