993 Exhaust Mod | Melbourne Recommendation

Pork Chops

Hearing some cars at the damn meet up on Sunday just gone has made me want some more grumble from my exhaust.  I have 2 sets of cans and plan to modify 1 set.  There is a lot of information on the net on Rennlist and Pelican about people who modify cans in the US (Robin Sun) and Europe (Carnewal) and there is also the 'LPMM' external by-pass pipe mod that connects the external inlet and outlet pipes.  There is however no definitive information on exactly what the internal mods are as it's secret sauce stuff.

So, if anyone in Vic has had their factory cans modified by a workshop or exhaust shop, and it sounds great, and it's a repeatable successful formula, can you let me know?

The end result I'm looking for is to lose the over-silenced boring note, and get some volume, depth, a bit of snap cackle pop, and flat 6 character, but it can't be obnoxiously loud (won't suit the character or use of the car) and most of all it's not allowed to drone...

If you've gone down this road and can take me for a spin even better!

Cheers.

p.s. Cairns' exhaust guy has told them point blank, you tell me exactly what to do, I'll do it, so no help at all

Edited by Pork Chops

Hi Pork Chops,

A few of us have gone down the Fister (California) route.  I went Fister II and T-man went Fister III (too loud for my neighbours).

Last Sunday there was a black 993C2S in attendance that I know has been fitted with Fister II.

Before I went down this route I considered the DIY route but was concerned that if I did not get it exactly right that I would end up with the dreaded drone.  At the time I knew at least 3x 993 and 1x Boxster owners that were very happy with their Fisters and decided that was the best route.  The sound is glorious.

I'm bayside if you would like to hear them.

I would love to hear them.  Maybe drop me a PM with your number and we can arrange something?  Essentially all you've done is highlight the error of my ways as if I had my time again I'd probably just go the Fister Stage II or the RSRs!  Stage III will be too far for me.  That said getting a good feel (and recording it) of what I like would be awesome.  The challenge after that is replicating it...

Cheers.

I have a set of Cat Bypass pipes for sale that will give you the noise and pops, without drone or cutting up your mufflers.

PM with details?

I note from here they run the external bypass pipe which is a simple external mod.  They say they mod the internals and I can probably guess what that might be based on desktop research.  Maybe do that and see how it goes.  This retains the stock muffler set up so shouldn't drone.  If it's not enough maybe the cat bypass pipe might be the way to go :ph34r:. Illegal though it might be...

They certainly do mod the internals on the Fister II.

Plus the external bypass pipe, but still each can is 1.1kg lighter than factory.

Don't forget that you will have to mod the heat shield when adding an external bypass pipe.  I'm not sure you will be happy with the external bypass pipe only sound.

PM sent.

They certainly do mod the internals on the Fister II.

Plus the external bypass pipe, but still each can is 1.1kg lighter than factory.

Don't forget that you will have to mod the heat shield when adding an external bypass pipe.  I'm not sure you will be happy with the external bypass pipe only sound.

PM sent.

Thanks Doug will call shortly.  From this thread, it seems this DIYer took some advice from Darin from FD Motorsports who make the Fister products.  Looks like the summary is he cut off the internal sections in the rear chamber, and welded on 2 x 90 degree solid angles joined with a piece of straight perf pipe.  Didn't put the packing back in, and didn't seem to use an external bypass pipe (which Fister IIs have).  

Chopster

I have the black 993 C2S fitted with Fister II's.

I introduced myself to you at the Brighton bash.   

PM me happy to let you have a listen.

The Kid

Hey Kiddo I was wondering who you were on here.  I'll drop you a PM.  Cheers.

Chopster

I have the black 993 C2S fitted with Fister II's.

I introduced myself to you at the Brighton bash.   

PM me happy to let you have a listen.

The Kid

....and doesn't that 993 sound just sweeeeeet !!!!!

Stuart at Nineauto knows what to do but they do it for power and not sound. Also it's $1,600  which is just for modifying the cans. Not the cans themselves :mellow:. Too expensive I think. Nice guy though.

So I'm still on the hunt for answers as to how to modify the cans.

Steve (above) has made a great offer to trial his, um, hi-flow cat pipes so I'll pick them up Friday and get them fitted and see where that takes me before slicing the cans up.

Thanks also for the offers to hear some different zorsts on cars. Very neighbourly.

Hi-flow 'cats' fitted.  This is what my zorst sounds like from the cabin giving it some revs in neutral with the window slightly down.  Quite a noticeable difference but not what I'd call loud.  It's a step in the right direction but it could be a little fart like and doesn't quite sing enough at the top end of the rev range.  See how it goes on the drive home from work as I'm only down the road from Cairns.  Could be I need a GT3...or maybe to stop having GT3 expectations!  If I'm feeling bold I might next try the external muffler bypass and see where that takes me to.

Get someone else to nail it up the road so you can hear what everyone else hears. 

know anyone up to the job? I drove home with the windows open and for the most part it sounded great. It isn't perfect but way better than stock. I'm never going back. Neverrrrrr.

Actually the by-standers get the most benefit from a sweet exhaust.

Driver has to wait for a tunnel to get some real benefit :D

@Pork Chops PM replied

I've had the pleasure of experiencing both Tman's C4 Fister III  and Okrasa Kid's C2S Fister II  sounds while driving with these cars over the last few years.  III's are an angry sounding riot!  Can't help but smile and laugh when you hear them.  II's are more gentlemanly.  But still provide a beautiful sound.

• 4 weeks later...