Cayman ownership experiences

MB911

I've noticed a few really nice Cayman's around lately and see that their prices are falling into the low $40's. I just wanted to ask if any owners on the PFA wanted to share any information, good or bad about their 2007 - 2008 Cayman's? I see a lot being sold at the magic 100,000 Km mark, I know this is traditionally where people like to sell and buy but is it also the point of the first major expensive service??

Cheers,

Mark

I loved my CS. It was gorgeous, but being lowered and having a loud droney exhaust got a bit tiresome as a daily driver. I think a standard one would have been much more comfortable (but they don't look as nice ;) ). I did suspect that mine may have had the early stages of scored bores. If that was the case and it goes too far it was a $20k fix...

cay3_zps2n6qmgmx.jpg

Hello, new here but have been looking into this very topic for a while now (I'm sure I looked over your car or one very similar MFX, at a wholesaler in Rosehill a while back).

What's holding me back for the year models mentioned, is the IMS bearing that needs the engine torn down to replace. It's getting to the point, that I either buy an earlier Boxster that I can replace the IMS or stump up for a 2009 or newer version.

Hello, new here but have been looking into this very topic for a while now (I'm sure I looked over your car or one very similar MFX, at a wholesaler in Rosehill a while back).

What's holding me back for the year models mentioned, is the IMS bearing that needs the engine torn down to replace. It's getting to the point, that I either buy an earlier Boxster that I can replace the IMS or stump up for a 2009 or newer version.

Yeah, that sounds like it was my car. From what I understand, the IMS issue is not a big problem for the 987 997 cars. It could be, as they still have IMS bearings, but I don't believe that failure is very common at all. Particularly compared to the 986 996 cars.

Bought my CS 18 months ago. Now at 76,000kms. You will not regret it. The two worries are bore scoring (look for soot on the bumper near the exhaust, or properly bore scope the bores) and IMS as both identified above. IMS is extremely rare on the M97 engines but it can happen. Just as any 996 owner either fixes or accepts the risks, so it is with the Cayman. Just a lot rarer, and in my view, worth the odds. 

Clutch is something to look out for. Mine was replaced along with the flywheel, and was not cheap. Done just before I bought it. It also had the drive belt done. 

Other than that, crappy interior plastics common to all 987's and 997's of the 2005-2008 vintage are par for the course. The worst is the air-con temp and fan buttons. Google "Stickynomore" for the fix. 

I've attached a US / Canadian schedule to give you an idea of what is checked, and what is replaced, but as my car proves, every car has different requirements at different times. 

When you have that flat six growling away a couple of inches behind your head, and then you drive your first high speed corner, none of the above will matter much.

Cayman Service.pdf

Yeah, that sounds like it was my car. From what I understand, the IMS issue is not a big problem for the 987 997 cars. It could be, as they still have IMS bearings, but I don't believe that failure is very common at all. Particularly compared to the 986 996 cars.

Have  been kicking myself I didn't jump into that one as it appeared to be well looked after (although the place it was at was bizarre) although, a lot happier now that you've suggested it might have been developing scored bore syndrome.

Bought my CS 18 months ago. Now at 76,000kms. You will not regret it. The two worries are bore scoring (look for soot on the bumper near the exhaust, or properly bore scope the bores) and IMS as both identified above. IMS is extremely rare on the M97 engines but it can happen. Just as any 996 owner either fixes or accepts the risks, so it is with the Cayman. Just a lot rarer, and in my view, worth the odds. 

Clutch is something to look out for. Mine was replaced along with the flywheel, and was not cheap. Done just before I bought it. It also had the drive belt done. 

Other than that, crappy interior plastics common to all 987's and 997's of the 2005-2008 vintage are par for the course. The worst is the air-con temp and fan buttons. Google "Stickynomore" for the fix. 

I've attached a US / Canadian schedule to give you an idea of what is checked, and what is replaced, but as my car proves, every car has different requirements at different times. 

When you have that flat six growling away a couple of inches behind your head, and then you drive your first high speed corner, none of the above will matter much.

Cayman Service.pdf

Thanks for that, I've actually been tossing up whether I get another Elise/Exige or a Cayman/Boxster. Took a 3.4 Boxster for a test run last weekend and think I'm addicted to the Flat six. A gorgeous sounding engine.

Have  been kicking myself I didn't jump into that one as it appeared to be well looked after (although the place it was at was bizarre) although, a lot happier now that you've suggested it might have been developing scored bore syndrome.

Thanks for that, I've actually been tossing up whether I get another Elise/Exige or a Cayman/Boxster. Took a 3.4 Boxster for a test run last weekend and think I'm addicted to the Flat six. A gorgeous sounding engine.

You're in the right place..I ran an N/A Exige before the Cayman. Great car and missed. Don't miss the getting in and out and the build quality though!. 

You're in the right place..I ran an N/A Exige before the Cayman. Great car and missed. Don't miss the getting in and out and the build quality though!. 

I had same, peeved I sold the thing.

So you're happy with the Cayman as it's replacement?

I had same, peeved I sold the thing.

So you're happy with the Cayman as it's replacement?

Defo. The Lotus was a crazy little car, but with a huge personality. I do miss it, and I'm glad I was a caretaker for a while. It was the overall lack of any refinement that got me in the end. Although not a daily driver, it was my only car and that 4 cyl buzzing away behind me started to grate a little. I've never warmed to the Exige V6 for some reason. 

I've been a Porsche nut since I was a kid, and the Cayman with a mid-mounted flat 6, feels exactly like a well built Exige....well, an Exige that's eaten a bit too much rich food. I'm glad to say the obsession with a car's weight has now left me!, 

I remember a Daz with the same colour Exige as me (silver) from the Elise Talk forums. That you?!. 

I remember a Daz with the same colour Exige as me (silver) from the Elise Talk forums. That you?!. 

Sounds like me. Was a Storm Titanium version, so more grey than silver.

I've never warmed to the V6 Exige either and was quite surprised at how small, nimble and at home I felt when test driving a Boxster last weekend.

Yup, My Exige was Titty Storm as well. My Cayman is Seal Grey which is very similar. Probably not a coincidence. 

The Boxster is great, and you hear that six' in real time. Something about the Cayman ticked all the right boxes though. I've already had it fettled a little bit (exhaust and upgraded shift-cables) and it's exactly where I want it. Just a set of Pilot Super Sports and I'm done. For a while. 

Quite a few 987s have come on the market in the last couple of weeks. Low to mid $50's gets you a few nice examples.  

Is it worth the extra cash to go for a 987.2?

S

In short, yes. Engine went DFI so no more IMS or bore scoring issues. Interior was updated slightly with better quality nav' and plastics. Daytime running lights added, and LED's on the back. Subtle but nice refresh. 

Thank you; that is a good summary.  987.2 were from 2009 in Australia?

You got it. Press cars were reviewed in about March 2009. Easiest way to tell from the outside is he LED lights at the rear. Slightly more teardrop shaped...and LED. Front spoiler/fog lights changed from little round spot lights in the center of the radiator intake grille, to being joined with running lights.

From this:

340a.jpg

To this: Like I said, very subtle

DSC_0926.jpg

and for completeness, from this:

340b.jpg

To this:

DSC_1025.jpg 

Love my Cayman S. Still don't see many around...unless you go on a SMT! I daily drive mine so lots of km's and plenty of smiles. Just got to get that exhaust a little bit growlier.

You got it. Press cars were reviewed in about March 2009. Easiest way to tell from the outside is he LED lights at the rear. Slightly more teardrop shaped...and LED. Front spoiler/fog lights changed from little round spot lights in the center of the radiator intake grille, to being joined with running lights.

Thanks so much for that, makes it so easy to tell the two apart once its pointed out to you (why didn't I see that before!)

Is it worth the extra cash to go for a 987.2?

S

Just another point to add when searching as it depends on what configuration you're willing to accept and how much patience you have :)

I almost picked up a 2010 CS back in 2013 but some things weren't right and dealer didn't want to negotiate so dropped the chase. End up with a 2006 CS with a few things to clean up and it's been great fun so far. I like to keep my eye out for 987.2 CS in manual but haven't seen a second hand on carsales for more than 2yrs  :)

Just another point to add when searching as it depends on what configuration you're willing to accept and how much patience you have :)

I almost picked up a 2010 CS back in 2013 but some things weren't right and dealer didn't want to negotiate so dropped the chase. End up with a 2006 CS with a few things to clean up and it's been great fun so far. I like to keep my eye out for 987.2 CS in manual but haven't seen a second hand on carsales for more than 2yrs  :)

There is one on carsales at the moment.

Archived