Cayman ownership experiences

MB911

Ditch the roof as go for the Boxster. Much more fun in my view (even though compared to some I drive it like Miss Daisy :( )

Love my 2009 (987.2) Bosxter S.

It a very different feeling when you've got the sun shining on you and the wind going through your hair. Amazing feeling. I'd take the Boxster over Cayman because of that.

It a very different feeling when you've got the sun shining on you and the wind going through your hair. Amazing feeling. I'd take the Boxster over Cayman because of that.

I am the other way. I would never buy a convertible because they are always uncomfortable. You are either too hot and getting sunburnt, or freezing your b@!ls off, so then you put up the flimsy roof, that always whistles and leaks...

There is one on carsales at the moment.

Yes, you're right :) I received the email notification for this one on Jul 27 and didn't check before I commented.  The observation is that manual 987.2 CS's have been pretty rare for the last few years. You get a few PDK's so depends on what you're looking for.

Philosophically speaking, you might choose to enjoy now if you can, while waiting for "the one" to come along cause it may take some time!

Hopefully, more people will think about selling as they age :)

Yes, you're right :) I received the email notification for this one on Jul 27 and didn't check before I commented.  The observation is that manual 987.2 CS's have been pretty rare for the last few years. You get a few PDK's so depends on what you're looking for.

Philosophically speaking, you might choose to enjoy now if you can, while waiting for "the one" to come along cause it may take some time!

Hopefully, more people will think about selling as they age :)

I wonder how many manual 987.2 CS imported in Aus...

Mine is a manual with 20,000kms... Would love to know what people are paying for them... 

I wonder how many manual 987.2 CS imported in Aus...

Mine is a manual with 20,000kms... Would love to know what people are paying for them... 

Don't know the numbers, but Caymans of all types have never gone more than 300 per year out here. VFACTS puts them at an average of 20 per month. The 987.2 was a typical mid-GFC car, so a slow seller in the good times would be even harder to sell during the bad ones. 

Your manual would be rarer still. When they come up, $80-$90k is typical depending on kays. I predict Caymans will appear in the "What's for sale in Aus" thread within a couple of years, complete with raising prices for the good ones.  

I am the other way. I would never buy a convertible because they are always uncomfortable. You are either too hot and getting sunburnt, or freezing your b@!ls off, so then you put up the flimsy roof, that always whistles and leaks...

Well I thought that also, however, experiencing my first Canberra winter with a convertible has been no more uncomfortable than driving in our normal sedan. If its too hot, the roof stays on, too cold or wet, the roof stays on. I've had some absolutely spectacular daytime jaunts of late with the roof down. 

Have to say though, I now have to wear a flat so my driving gloves dont look out of place. This does appear to be the only time of year I can drive without fear of getting burnt. Curse my fair European skin!

• 2 years later...
On 25/07/2016 at 19:27, MFX said:

I loved my CS. It was gorgeous, but being lowered and having a loud droney exhaust got a bit tiresome as a daily driver. I think a standard one would have been much more comfortable (but they don't look as nice ;) ). I did suspect that mine may have had the early stages of scored bores. If that was the case and it goes too far it was a $20k fix...

cay3_zps2n6qmgmx.jpg

Have been looking at Caymans for a while now. Many seem slow to move at asking prices and with 90k plus on the clock. Your old car looked great, also looks alot like this one up for sale at the moment 🤔

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/results?q=(And.Service.CARSALES._.GenericGearType.Manual._.Price.range(..80000)._.(C.Make.Porsche._.Model.Cayman.))

Did you by any chance sell it to someone in Vic? Erik?

5 minutes ago, PDean said:

Have been looking at Caymans for a while now. Many seem slow to move at asking prices and with 90k plus on the clock. Your old car looked great, also looks alot like this one up for sale at the moment 🤔

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/results?q=(And.Service.CARSALES._.GenericGearType.Manual._.Price.range(..80000)._.(C.Make.Porsche._.Model.Cayman.))

Did you by any chance sell it to someone in Vic? Erik?

That is my old car. It has been sold 2 or 3 times since me. I miss it, well maybe not that exact car, but the CS is a great platform ;) .

Archived