18 years old and looking at a 944 S2 - Insurance questions.

TonyN

Well having ended high school on a particularly high note, my parents have agreed to fork out $20,000 for a first car of mine. Currently I'm looking at a range of 944s on Carsales.com.au and there are a few which take my fancy. However aside from the purchase of the car itself, I do have a few concerns.

a) Pre-purchase inspections from a reputable garage. I realize they would vary from garage to garage, but how much do they usually fair for?

B) Insurance - this is my primary concern. Being 18 and trying to insure a Porsche results in shocking four figure sums from most reputable insurance companies like Budget and AAMI. Is it possible to insure these cars under a vintage/collector's policy from a particular insurer? I've heard about Lumley's and I have put in an inquiry, and waiting for a reply back.

Somebody did tell me I could insure the car with my father listed as the primary driver and have me as a secondary driver, and thus possibly lower the fees down, but I'm not entirely sure how this works. Could anybody enlighten me?

Those questions aside, I have done my full research and reading into these cars, and I do realize that I'm going to be spending a couple of pennies with services every 30k kms etc.

Thanks for any input,

Tony.

Welcome to the forum, Tony.

First of all the 944 is a great car and a good choice as a first Porsche.

I would not buy a Cab if its an every day driver.

The PPI is not a big deal, two or three hundred is money well spent.

My advice is to have the car insured in your name with full cover.

This will not be cheap at your age, but thats the cost of owning a porsche.

Good luck with it.

Be sure to post some pics. :rolleyes:

Buy a hard top.

Hi Tony,

That would be your best bet and their would be an increased premium for a driver under the age of 25 at least that is the case with my Shannon's policy.

The only trick here is getting your father to agree to it.

Remember most young drivers do have an accident and have to pay the consequences, as long as it is not injury of yourself or others I guess that is just life.

I did the same thing 42 years ago with my father's insurance policy as my first car was an MGB but I did have an accident and he took the insurance off me making me in effect have to sell the car. A car which I might add I was not lucky enough to have given to me but was bought with my own hard earned and saved apprenticeship money, not one cent from the old man, only the luxury of having the insurance cover, that I also had to pay for.

So Tony realise the the priveliged position you are in and if you are given the opportunity to realise your dream, don't f**k up.

Having said all that, I hope you obtain your 944 an excellent choice I may add.

Dave

PS I have just read Vas's comments and what he says does make sense but I was assuming that money was going to be an issue and you would have to be careful with how you allocated your available money. Don't forget things can cost money with Porsche's. The hardtop is also a good idea but will set you back too, take things step by step. People are generally a lot older on this site and hence in a different stage in their life financially to you.

D

Your in my dream position Tony! I've just finished school also and am looking for a first car, although am having to use my own earnt money. My parents as a 'present' will pay half my insurance once i get it which is helpful. I definately dont have the amount you have, however i have seen as you have at our age a lot of money will have to be forked out, along with pricey euro car servicing/parts and yearly rego. I thought i could get a base 944, although i don't believe i could afford the ongoing costs, but realistically (however still costly) i'm looking at early BM's, audis and VWs.

This is a great spot to hear from those with the experience when it comes to purchasing and the costs

Pleased to hear someone at my age is staying away from the fully sick jap cars and commodores :D. if you can, try getting an S2 coupe

Seen a red p plater in melb in an s2 cab, and a number in early boxsters (only a '97 model is allowed for p's)

anyone willing to donate me an early porsche or 20K? :D :D

Welcome to the forum, Tony.

First of all the 944 is a great car and a good choice as a first Porsche.

I would not buy a Cab if its an every day driver.

The PPI is not a big deal, two or three hundred is money well spent.

My advice is to have the car insured in your name with full cover.

This will not be cheap at your age, but thats the cost of owning a porsche.

Good luck with it.

Be sure to post some pics. :rolleyes:

Buy a hard top.

Hey Vas, thanks for the reply.

Yeah I was particulary wondering if the Cabrio was a good idea over the hardtop coupe for a daily driver. However as the weather here in Melbourne is going to be pretty hot over the next several months, I figured a Cabrio would be nice. After all, I can simply put the roof up when parking or when it gets to winter. My only concern there, however, is that I would most likely need to install an aftermarket security system, as I hear thieves can slice through the fabric of the Cabrio, and simply take what's inside without triggering the alarm. So there's some food for thought haha.

As for insurance, we're still comparing companies with eachother, but so far, all of them are overly costly if we put them under my name. But hey yeah, it's the cost of doing business I guess.

And the pics will come when she comes ;)

Hi Tony,

That would be your best bet and their would be an increased premium for a driver under the age of 25 at least that is the case with my Shannon's policy.

The only trick here is getting your father to agree to it.

Remember most young drivers do have an accident and have to pay the consequences, as long as it is not injury of yourself or others I guess that is just life.

I did the same thing 42 years ago with my father's insurance policy as my first car was an MGB but I did have an accident and he took the insurance off me making me in effect have to sell the car. A car which I might add I was not lucky enough to have given to me but was bought with my own hard earned and saved apprenticeship money, not one cent from the old man, only the luxury of having the insurance cover, that I also had to pay for.

So Tony realise the the priveliged position you are in and if you are given the opportunity to realise your dream, don't f**k up.

Having said all that, I hope you obtain your 944 an excellent choice I may add.

Dave

PS I have just read Vas's comments and what he says does make sense but I was assuming that money was going to be an issue and you would have to be careful with how you allocated your available money. Don't forget things can cost money with Porsche's. The hardtop is also a good idea but will set you back too, take things step by step. People are generally a lot older on this site and hence in a different stage in their life financially to you.

D

Heya Dave, cheers for the reply.

So far, my dad would rather put the insurance under his name to save us the money, but he's also fully aware of what this would mean if I had an accident. However my father has always been a "learn by experience" kind of man, and I suppose with the amount of driving experience I have right now (which is just under 100 hours of day/night wet/dry driving), he's willing to risk it. I'm not a hoon of any sort, just someone who appreciates classic motoring :)

And too true about the financial burdens of owning Porsches. I'm fully aware of any upfront, ongoing and future costs, and my father and I have allotted a sensible fund for the car, for the future.

Your in my dream position Tony! I've just finished school also and am looking for a first car, although am having to use my own earnt money. My parents as a 'present' will pay half my insurance once i get it which is helpful. I definately dont have the amount you have, however i have seen as you have at our age a lot of money will have to be forked out, along with pricey euro car servicing/parts and yearly rego. I thought i could get a base 944, although i don't believe i could afford the ongoing costs, but realistically (however still costly) i'm looking at early BM's, audis and VWs.

This is a great spot to hear from those with the experience when it comes to purchasing and the costs

Pleased to hear someone at my age is staying away from the fully sick jap cars and commodores :D. if you can, try getting an S2 coupe

Seen a red p plater in melb in an s2 cab, and a number in early boxsters (only a '97 model is allowed for p's)

anyone willing to donate me an early porsche or 20K? :D :D

Sup Glass!

Ain't it great having it all over and done with? Haha. I suppose we're in opposite positions aren't we :) It's true when you say at our age the insurance premiums will be a bitch, if that's not enough, we got the pricey service costs, so that dosen't exactly help.

I've also been through the early BM's, Audi's and such, and they're.. okaaay, but the 944 is the ultimate decision :D

And too true! Christ, the amount of hoons on my Facebook news feed who're showing off their VL Commodores.. jesus. They're hella ugly, and to be honest, the amount of money they end up spending on those Holdens, they could've had a 944 in good nick, and good running order. Oh well.

We should meet up sometime if you're also in Melbourne - nothing like some good 944 chat with a coffee :)

Also, would anyone have any experience in importing a 944 from the UK? I've just taken a look at the prices for used S2 Cabrios over there, and Christ, they're a good $10-15,000 cheaper than what you'd get over here!

Hey Tony,

Having an 944S2 coupe as my daily driver, they are a great car and do the job very well. I love it.

A work mate has a cab and it has had the roof slashed four times, not to steal, just to damage (not a cheap repair). Being a younger bloke, a P plate 944 cab may draw the same attention from jealous, spiteful others.

My two cents worth, buy Australian delivered, with full service history. The words of wisdom I was given were "Buy the best Porsche you can afford". What you save on purchase price you can lose on engine repairs, dodgy previous body repairs, etc. This advice served me well, but having said that I am sure there are plenty of guys on the forum who have imported cars from the UK and US and they have been excellent.

Whatever way you go good luck with it all.

Cheers,

Mark

Also, would anyone have any experience in importing a 944 from the UK? I've just taken a look at the prices for used S2 Cabrios over there, and Christ, they're a good $10-15,000 cheaper than what you'd get over here!

Looked at importing a 911 from the UK myself but decided against it mainly due to the fact I could not get much assurance on rust free bodywork.

Bear in mind that freight, duties, engineering report,etc will cost you about another 10K on top of purchase cost so price difference is not as as big in the end.

Lumleys are just a broker, you are still getting the insurance from one of the major insurers such as GIO or CGU so don't hold your breath on big premium cost difference. In saying that they have been the cheapest when I looked for quotes.

What have you been quoted so far?

Recently it appears that the insurance cost of under 24's has increased dramatically. It looks like I'll be getting a track speck bmw e30 by next week for my first car, previously the same sort of car could be insured (comprehensive) for two drivers (myself and dad) for around $700, but now its around $2900!!!! so i'll have to leave it at 3rd party. Yeh Tony we should definately meet up some day, would love to check out the 944!

• 7 months later...

im 20 and i recently brought a 944 (not s2 tho because under 25's in aus can't drive turbo on ps (only on ls)) i brought mine from what i thought was a good dealer until i had a flat battery and found out my 944 was not roadworthy (no battery clamp on the battery!).

I went with AAMI for my insurance, i tried RACQ which was 3.5k then allianz 2k and AAMI ended up costing me 1k.

go out and inspect the car before you drive it, mine drives like a dream, all i have had to do is replace the battery and buy a battery clamp. now it starts every time and doesnt splutter or cough while ideling or when i put my foot down (beat a v8 falcon off the line, was very proud).

make sure to look at the bumpers as well, cracks etc may not seem like much to fix but to get all mine re done and re sprayed it cost 1k.

personally, i love my car, if you want one then buy one no matter what it costs you, you will not regret it.

Gday PSH,

Careful not to put too much cash into the old na 944....save it for a 944 turbo.

Great first car but once you get off the P's i think your gonna want a 952....they are relativly cheap..

probably about rock bottom now and they are alot of car for the money.

If you do a bitta work yorself you will save & learn heaps !!

Check your dizzy cap & button contacts for burning and clean up with a bit of emery or light file - this is a common prob on 944's

it will cause rough running & even non starting as there is no spark...

Have fun, try to keep those points....

Gday PSH,

Careful not to put too much cash into the old na 944....save it for a 944 turbo.

Great first car but once you get off the P's i think your gonna want a 952....they are relativly cheap..

probably about rock bottom now and they are alot of car for the money.

If you do a bitta work yorself you will save & learn heaps !!

Check your dizzy cap & button contacts for burning and clean up with a bit of emery or light file - this is a common prob on 944's

it will cause rough running & even non starting as there is no spark...

Have fun, try to keep those points....

this 944 is my first car so i probably won't be looking to upgrade to a 944 turbo until later, my second car (which ill be buying next year) will be around a 2000-2003 boxster S.

what im planning to do is fix all the interior and fix the dash (poor thing is all cracked :()... and then just enjoy the car.

what i would love to have is a 928 v8. ive found heaps online that are cheap.

honestly, i don't know much about cars or how to fix them but im getting there. still, even though its not turbo or not as nice as it could be i sit in it to drive away to work and i fall in love all over agian. something ill never regret buying!

<snip>

what i would love to have is a 928 v8. ive found heaps online that are cheap.

<snip>

Cheap to buy does not equate to cheap to own. If anything, cheap to buy is likely to mean "moneypit to own". In their day, 928's were luxury GT muscle cars intended as a fast luxobarge for the no-expense-spared plutocrat of the late 70's onwards for whom a 911 was just too brash.

The cars' appetite for expensive maintenance has not diminished.

I'm not trying to pee on your cornflakes here, and if a 928 is what you really want then go for it, but do lots of research and go in with your eyes wide open.

Apologies if this is all stuff that you already know.

James

Cheap to buy does not equate to cheap to own. If anything, cheap to buy is likely to mean "moneypit to own". In their day, 928's were luxury GT muscle cars intended as a fast luxobarge for the no-expense-spared plutocrat of the late 70's onwards for whom a 911 was just too brash.

The cars' appetite for expensive maintenance has not diminished.

I'm not trying to pee on your cornflakes here, and if a 928 is what you really want then go for it, but do lots of research and go in with your eyes wide open.

Apologies if this is all stuff that you already know.

James

haha i say i want one but i probably won't ever get one, i want a more modern car which is why i want to go for the boxster. plus i wouldnt be able to drive the 928.

haha i say i want one but i probably won't ever get one, i want a more modern car which is why i want to go for the boxster. plus i wouldnt be able to drive the 928.

why not?

Archived