944 stereo and speakers

88mph

Hi all,

Looking at upgrading the speakers in my 944 but don't want to change the look of the interior at all.

Replacing the 4x6 inch speakers in the front door is simple, the cover pops off and you can change them out. Piece of cake! 

In the rear, is like to install some 6x9 inch speakers. Does any one know if these will fit under the existing skin? I've read mixed reports on other forums. 

If so, can you please suggest what brand speaker you used. 

Cheers

Honestly would try find a good set of 4x6 front and rear and be done with it. 

6x9 might fit, but you've got some steel to cut away. not worth it imo. 

Great, thanks Pauly.

Can you recommend a good set of 4x6's?

I have soundstream tarantulas at the front, but they don't exactly fit. I have spacers and you cannot use the factory grill. But probably the best speaker on the market that's 4x6. 

I have Eclipse 4x6 in the rear.  http://www.eclipse-web.com/au/products/speakers/se4600/
But they don't do much in my sound system as i've got the gain low on them. 

I have an alpine 5 channel amp powering the front and rear speakers + a 10" JL audio sub. 
I don't know how the soundstreams will sound with out an amp. but if you're going off the headunit the eclipse will do just fine. 

I have soundstream tarantulas at the front, but they don't exactly fit. I have spacers and you cannot use the factory grill. But probably the best speaker on the market that's 4x6. 

I have Eclipse 4x6 in the rear.  http://www.eclipse-web.com/au/products/speakers/se4600/
But they don't do much in my sound system as i've got the gain low on them. 

I have an alpine 5 channel amp powering the front and rear speakers + a 10" JL audio sub. 
I don't know how the soundstreams will sound with out an amp. but if you're going off the headunit the eclipse will do just fine. 

So you're running a sub in the boot, have you considered 6x9's in speaker boxes in the boot also?

No need for 6x9 in the rear. You want all the sound as far to the front as possible. 

I'll get some photos of my system for you. It's no professional setup, it's all hidden. I.e Sub and amp are in the spare tyre well. 
But all components are all pro grade stuff. Every piece of equipment was chosen for specific reasons. Space limitations, size limitations ect. Also had requirements qith the quality of the device. I.e Sub couldn't be to deep or need a large space. But able to produce a crisp punch. 

Deck is a Pioneer DEH - 80prs
Amp - Alpine PDX V9
Sub - JL Audio 10W3v3 
Speakers - Soundstream sst4.6

No need for 6x9 in the rear. You want all the sound as far to the front as possible. 

I'll get some photos of my system for you. It's no professional setup, it's all hidden. I.e Sub and amp are in the spare tyre well. 
But all components are all pro grade stuff. Every piece of equipment was chosen for specific reasons. Space limitations, size limitations ect. Also had requirements qith the quality of the device. I.e Sub couldn't be to deep or need a large space. But able to produce a crisp punch. 

Amp - Alpine PDX V9
Sub - JL Audio 10W3v3 

Did you have issues accessing the rear speakers? Some forums suggest is quite difficult?

Did you have issues accessing the rear speakers? Some forums suggest is quite difficult?

take all the screws out from the side panel. There's a few clips that hold it in. just be careful with them. But they shouldn't break. Fiberglass them back in if you do manage to break any, but i doubt it. 

You'll need to remove some of the ribber seal around the door. They usually say to remove the window but if you're careful enough you can actually slide the material that sits around the windows rubber trim out. Takes some patience.

I am just in the middle of upgrading my 944 system now, & wanted to keep it as original looking as possible.

http://www.clarks-garage.com/

On this website if you go to GarageShop Manual then down to Body then down to Stereo :-)

I found this site to be very helpful, there is a 6 page how to with photo's on replacing rear speaker in a 944.

I purchased some Hertz speakers for front & rear, front were easy, but as you say the backs are a little more time consuming. The sound from the new front speakers are great, so would think the new rears will be just as good. I still have the original head unit in, but I purchased a new Pioneer head unit with bluetooth & all the other bells & whistles, so should even sound better when that goes in. No cutting should look very close to the original setup.   

Amp - Alpine PDX V9
Sub - JL Audio 10W3v3 

Cheers Pauly.

Soundstream speakers are on the way! 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All, 

Another option ... today I replaced the front speakers on my S2, these Polk 6x4 plate speakers have a bass driver depth that remains clear of the window rail, they fit straight into factory location with the grills, and sound great ... 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Archived