Child restraints/booster seats for 911 - what I bought

D2000

I know there is some info on the forum already, but thought I would post up the child restrains that I bought on the weekend for my 996:

- for my youngest (under 4), Safe-n-Sound Compaq AHR:  http://www.babyvillage.com.au/car_safety/convertible_restraints_0_4_yrs/safe_n_sound_compaq_ahr_convertible_car_seat

- for my oldest (over 4), Safe-n-Sound Tourer Booster:  http://www.babyvillage.com.au/car_safety/booster_seats_4_7_years/safe_n_sound_tourer_booster_seat  (the Infa Secure Versatile Folding Booster also fit, but didn't seem as safe to me, although they are good value and I saw Target is selling them for about $50:  http://www.babyvillage.com.au/car_safety/booster_seats_4_7_years/infa_secure_versatile_folding_booster.  I also tried the Safe-n-Sound Hi-Liner but it was too tall)

Both fit fine, although the oldest's one touches the roof above the rear window.

Thanks for that, something I will need to do for my 928 soon. Those booster seats are a good price. I would go with the Safe-n-Sound/ Britax too - have a Britax seat now and my son still fits at 5 1/2, not much longer though....

yep, same for me in both my 911 and 928 (same setup in both).

Safe-n-Sound Compaq for my 3yr old., Infa Secure folding seat for my 6yr old, and the 8yr old in the front seat.

image4_zpsti422j0f.jpg

You are a brave man. No food, drink and most importantly no shoes in the back on my car for the kids. 

I just pulled out the Safe-n-Sound Compaq AHR (little one was on the marker to go full boost mode) and swapped him to a "babylove ezy boost"(http://www.babyworth.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&path=131_146&product_id=521

Hacksawed the arm rest off at the seat base (then put the material trim back on and tucked it under the seat ) gives the little one access to the seat belt buckle and snug fit in the 996 (rear seat removed )

Edited by Macca

You are a brave man. No food, drink and most importantly no shoes in the back on my car for the kids. 

ha ha. My 911 has still won concours d'elegance despite the kids :) . They know to try not to put their feet on the back of the seats and I put seat covers on to protect the seats (hence the fluffy sheep).  A bakery scroll or two isn't going to hurt the car. I'd rather the kids enjoy the car and take away precious memories.

yep, same for me in both my 911 and 928 (same setup in both).

Safe-n-Sound Compaq for my 3yr old., Infa Secure folding seat for my 6yr old, and the 8yr old in the front seat.

image4_zpsti422j0f.jpg

I have both those seats and neither fit?  The base was too wide to fit back in the seat well.

Anyway I ended up buying some UK import Porsche boosters which look the biz, but I still don't have lap-sash in the back, so it's really for short local trips only.

Thanks for the info! Anyone have any experience with a 3.2? My ol 1984 911 seems to be especially narrow in the seat compared to some of the 996's I have seen. I will have a look at the compaq hopefully may work better than my current set up. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info! Anyone have any experience with a 3.2? My ol 1984 911 seems to be especially narrow in the seat compared to some of the 996's I have seen. I will have a look at the compaq hopefully may work better than my current set up. 

I believe the older Compaq Delux fits better than the new version. You will see my photos above of the original older version.  I think the new version has a squarer broader base, but I may be wrong.

• 1 year later...
On ‎22‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 2:03 PM, ANF said:

Thanks for that, something I will need to do for my 928 soon. Those booster seats are a good price. I would go with the Safe-n-Sound/ Britax too - have a Britax seat now and my son still fits at 5 1/2, not much longer though....

I managed to fit my https://www.britax.com.au/car-seats/britax-safe-n-sound-maxi-ahr/

into the back of my 928 easily and my son is just now out growing it at 7! He will transition into the rear seat when the 928 lives again, with a harness.

Great to see these options, hopefully we'll still have the 996 when grand kids come along.  However, makes me shudder when I think back to our MG days - we had a roll bar in the back of our MGB, and I bolted a car seat directly on to the frame.  Looked safe and secure enough, but I really wonder now.  Not sure if the hardtop we had really added a lot of protection.  We even went to a NatMeet in Adelaide with that configuration, but of course Lauren didn't do the speed event or motorkhana  though :)  We basically stopped MGing when no 2 came along, as we couldn't fit a 2nd car seat in the area....

No way would I do it these days, I guess I was younger and much less wise then......

• 1 year later...
On 22/08/2016 at 10:52, D2000 said:

I know there is some info on the forum already, but thought I would post up the child restrains that I bought on the weekend for my 996:

- for my youngest (under 4), Safe-n-Sound Compaq AHR:  http://www.babyvillage.com.au/car_safety/convertible_restraints_0_4_yrs/safe_n_sound_compaq_ahr_convertible_car_seat

- for my oldest (over 4), Safe-n-Sound Tourer Booster:  http://www.babyvillage.com.au/car_safety/booster_seats_4_7_years/safe_n_sound_tourer_booster_seat  (the Infa Secure Versatile Folding Booster also fit, but didn't seem as safe to me, although they are good value and I saw Target is selling them for about $50:  http://www.babyvillage.com.au/car_safety/booster_seats_4_7_years/infa_secure_versatile_folding_booster.  I also tried the Safe-n-Sound Hi-Liner but it was too tall)

Both fit fine, although the oldest's one touches the roof above the rear window.

@D2000I know it's been a couple of years, i'm currently looking for a booster, how was the safe n sound tourer booster? 

For others info, if they are looking, i borrowed a infa secure getaway - and seems like it's very much like the infa secure versatile folding booster. The height is 79cm and it didn't fit the 996.2. the head rest was hitting the window/c pillar and twisting. i think the old folding booster was 75cm.

8 hours ago, quasio said:

@D2000I know it's been a couple of years, i'm currently looking for a booster, how was the safe n sound tourer booster? .

I still have it, although it is now in my wife’s car. I thought it was fine. Easy to remove when needed also

Has anyone found a child seat that will fit into a recaro bucket seat? I have 2 cars with recaros and no back seats. My 18month old son keeps running up to the passenger side of my Porsche’s and making ‘broom broom’ sounds, I think it’s time he came with me...

• 5 months later...

Hi All,

My little one just turned 4, and was upset I couldn't take her along with her two older sisters. Is the Safe n Sound Tourer Booster recommended above confirmed for an 84 model 911? Assuming a booster will be my only option. Will keep the wife happy if I can take all three girls and give her some time out. Also I won't feel guilty taking the car out on a Sunday morning.

Thanks, Nick.

• 8 months later...

Hey guys, sharing my experience. I just bought a 997 Carrera S Cab and needed seats for a 2 & 1/2 and 4 & 1/2 children.

• For the 2  & 1/2 yer old - Britax Safe n sound Compaq, was the smallest (and lightest) seat they have, and with proper adjustment, just fitted with the roof closed. Cost $89 (shepa cos its a booster seat) This seat lasts up to 4 year olds.
  • For the 4 & 1/2 year old - Britax Safe n Sound Tourer which is a booster seat, and fits even better with more space than the above one. Cost $299 This seat lasts up to when they dont need a child seat anymore.

Fitting for both, $35 total.

Wont share photos but trust me they fit all good :)

Top shout out to Porsche Sydney South for being SO helpful on the Phoenix and even finding and pointing me to this forum thread!
Top shout to BabyThings in East village centre, Zetland, Sydney for finding and fitting the 2 seats.

Bonus info: Porsche confirmed the official Porsche 991 child seats are not Australian approved, so cannot be bought or used here.