Itchy feet - what would you buy?

GUT

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Here's a list of potential candidates - though some need to be crossed off as I don't want to be forking out too much in addition to sales proceeds."

Gut I take it you basically want to spend around as much $$$ as you'll get for the Carrera sale and then spend a little more $$$ to hot it up a bit, and on a limb here, something that maintenance costs are about the same as the old Porker ...... And you want something that could maybe be a little OTT ...From your list it's clear the car wont only be a track car, nor only a daily driver, nor only a Sunday car, so you want an all rounder? Maybe a Sunday car that can have some cred on the track, yet drive the missus to Bingo and then spurt into the hills for some fun twisties and long fast straights and bends and on the way home 1/4 mile drag the rice burners (anything else is fair game as well) at the lights! And something that is fun with low down torque that can be enjoyed driving at our suburban street speeds and in traffic .... An all rounder..

• '68-'69 Dodge Charger - No wont handle or stop
  • DeTomaso Pantera -  Maybe
  • 996TT - Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes!
  • 996 GT3 - Yes but out of the overall price range
  • BMW M3 - basically any model but I like the E30 - Yes
  • SLK55 - Ugly and high maintenance costs
  • SL55 - High maintenance costs
  • AM Vanquish - Extremely high maintenance costs
  • Bolwell Nagari - Hmmmm can you get parts for that???
  • Esky - Put your beer and ice in it
  • RX3 - Maybe but cop bait and money left over for a Boxster S too!
  • Viper - Ugly and by a Nascar cap to wear in it
  • Mustang Fastback - Maybe
  • Exige - Maybe
  • Ultima - Too track based
  • the list goes on  ---- Here is what you left off that is a Yes  - Boxster S and Cayman S, you could even buy one of each hahaha

I have a preference for things that might be a bit OTT.

Would you on any car...... even if it does not rise, a mental ride :D

Did you mean you thought it only worth $25k in 2 or 3 years....

Bit tongue in cheek, but history hasn`t been kind to anything (no matter who makes it) that isn`t heading for it`s 20th birthday or beyond.

I wouldn't bother with any of the Merc's. As mentioned they still have a fair way to go down in price before they come up. I would probably go either the DeTomaso (I have always had a soft spot for those things, the E30 M3, or a 996 for me it would be the GT3 over the TT if your budget stretches. 

So I recently went to the Peterson muses in LA.  They have 'the vault' tour which is a private tour of the large collection of non display cars.

anyway before being told 'no photos' I took this photo.

A58FE9EC-C09F-46F0-B072-06BF0FF5D12C_zps

the yellow Pantera you see is elvis Presley's Pantera, complete with damage from where he shot it when it failed to start.  The one behind is a resto-mod.

i had a good look at the elvis car and thought 'why aren't these things more sought after?'

There is a couple that turn up to cars and coffee Brisbane - cool cars with pretty simple drive trains.  Leno has a  video on his.

Worth a look I reckon, don't know where current prices are.

have to agree, one of those cars that's a little bit crap to drive, but still cool to own. Looks and noise are great.

The earlier ones ; the later ones look a bit Countach ridiculous!
Plus no Aston-sized service costs , but apparently not cheap to sort if needy. Like a Porsche in that regard.

996.2 GT3 or Non-Porsche, retro tech VK Group A followed by pro-street LJ Torana.

hmmmm....VK Group A, sentional car and love that blue. Looked at one about 6 mths ago. 2 owner 95k on the clock and he wanted $120k. One day I'll get one, but it will need to be accompanied by and LJ XU-1.

Last gen rx7?

Sure fire future classic.

early nsx?

whatever you choose, I would love to give the sacrificial lamb a safe home. Sadly I would need such a deep discount it might knock all the cars off your list :)

speaking from experience......If you go the Pantera route, make sure the 351 is healthy (no point buying anything less) and most importantly, ensure the cooling has been upgraded.

In summary - only buy this vehicle if you wanna go cruizn down the street and check out your reflection in the shop windows

You want Aussie muscle to get scared that requires taming with a chair and whip, then buy a Falcon GT of the 351ci variety (XW/XY), If your desire is to travel from gutter to gutter with one hand on the wheel and the elbow out the window, then the XA is for you. :ph34r:

NOTE: Due to legal matters, I can neither confirm nor deny any of these events occurring in my past 

You've got to be joking............please tell me your joking! 

Yes

I'm a Porsche guy mate. Nuthin else matters (unless its the red MGB GT tarmac rally car on carsales. Then I could be swayed)

Lots of votes for the Pantera. That's where I'm most strongly drawn. But try finding one at a price that is half reasonable. 

I'd have a big fat falcon GT but only with 2 doors. Again, try finding one.

LOVE that interceptor @OBRUT

I think about 95% of the cars suggested so far are on my regular carsales route. No wonder they're all so hard to find - everybody wants them.

Open to swaps/trades too! Spread the word!

Archived